COP(Coil On Plug) for Mr. Max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Most may be familiar with my post about running commonly available COP's from most late model sport bikes. They are pretty cheap, and very easy to add to Mr. Max. Pluses are easier startup, better throttle response and making way for a little more room on the already cramped for space V-max.
I thought i'd start another post with the results of my test ride and kinda sum up everything. The other post is many, many pages long and i did'nt want everyone to have to read it all to find out if it works or not. Here is what i just posted on that thread:

Well, its official. I took a spin on my V-max today! COP worked flawlessly. Ran it to 10K several times in several gears(10500 once). Even did a long pull to 9300rpm in top gear. Not even a hiccup, no issues at all. My bike started up with 55deg temps and did'nt miss, spit, sputter or anything. Throttle response was better too. I'm officially convinced its a good mod. Its cheap and easy to do, and IMO it adds to the cool factor with the COP. Another neat thing is that since the COP's are pretty cheap, one can keep a spare SET under your seat incase something ever happens to one or all. I've never seen one go bad, but i'm sure it could happen.

As far as i'm concerned, the COP's are here to stay!

If anyone wants to see pic's or the video of my bike running with the COP's, you'll have to read the other thread located here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5427
progress.gif

This is a very cool mod. technical aspects are way out of my league but I like the results.
Is this a good 'anytime' mod, or is it better to wait until a wire or coil or something needs replacing and do the mod then.

This is a very cool mod. technical aspects are way out of my league but I like the results.
Is this a good 'anytime' mod, or is it better to wait until a wire or coil or something needs replacing and do the mod then.

They are a good anytime mod. Only took me 30min to intall and get wired. You'll notice results right away. Dunno about ultimate hp/tq, but response was better which is what i wanted. Cold startup was quite a bit better.
Someone on the other post actually dyno'd his and did'nt see any gains, but i don't think he dyno'd the stk setup on the same day, so comparing dyno runs from other days is'nt very helpful. It did show him that he did'nt loose anything compared to then though.

Does anyone know if the Yamaha R1 COPs and the Susuki GSXR COPs are actually the same?

I've not had a set of R1 COPs in my hands, but in photos they look the same. They ARE the same brand though(Denso). The wiring connectors are the same as well i believe. I believe other brands use the same COPs too, and i'm pretty sure the connectors are the same. I ordered a few from Ebay and will post up when i get them in my hands...

Also of note, the R1 COPs don't say Yamaha or anything on them. Just Denso's info on the tops, so running the R1's or R6's vs the GSXR's or others will not really keep it "Yamaha" so to speak. I would run what ever you can get the best deal on...

I've not had a set of R1 COPs in my hands, but in photos they look the same. They ARE the same brand though(Denso). The wiring connectors are the same as well i believe. I believe other brands use the same COPs too, and i'm pretty sure the connectors are the same. I ordered a few from Ebay and will post up when i get them in my hands...

Also of note, the R1 COPs don't say Yamaha or anything on them. Just Denso's info on the tops, so running the R1's or R6's vs the GSXR's or others will not really keep it "Yamaha" so to speak. I would run what ever you can get the best deal on...

Actually my R1s said Mitsubishi on them
Also while I agree that dynos from separate days may not be a good comparison, I can say they used the same Correction Factor and the exact same dynamometer model as my first one with the stock coils. Also I wont go back to stock. It is a good mod regardless if your stock coils are bad or not.
Cheers

Actually my R1s said Mitsubishi on them
Also while I agree that dynos from separate days may not be a good comparison, I can say they used the same Correction Factor and the exact same dynamometer model as my first one with the stock coils. Also I wont go back to stock. It is a good mod regardless if your stock coils are bad or not.
Cheers

Sorry, i was thinking it was you that mentioned they were Densos. Since they are Mitsubishi, their connectors may be different. Would have to see a pic to tell.
Even with the same correction factor, they are not nessisarily comparable. Don't blame ya on going back to stk. I would'nt either! Why go backwards? And waste money doing it too?! Have you been able to check fuel consumption?

Sorry, i was thinking it was you that mentioned they were Densos. Since they are Mitsubishi, their connectors may be different. Would have to see a pic to tell.
Even with the same correction factor, they are not nessisarily comparable. Don't blame ya on going back to stk. I would'nt either! Why go backwards? And waste money doing it too?! Have you been able to check fuel consumption?

Did a 110 mile round trip today, 2 up, between 75-80 mph averge and it was right at 36 mpgs. Hard to tell from my normal riding back and forth to work. I hit an awful lot of stop lights, my normal for that is 30-31. Plus my midrange is a little rich from my dyno results last week. I am fixing that this week then will go for a nice long ride and post the MPG results. Initial results would indicate better mileage though.:eusa_dance: Oh and the connectors are all the same, between denso or mitsubishi, gsxr, r1, busa, as long as they belong to a motorcycle.
Cheers:punk:

Cool! I can't do a before and after on mpg, due to not knowing the before! I just got the bike a few months ago.

I figured the connectors were the same, but did'nt wanna say w/o having them in my hands.

Thanks for your info! It will help everyone!

I wonder if any COP would work, including one off of a car? I have some spare ones from my F150. :hmmm:

As long as you can get them to fit down inside the hole in the head I dont see why not. Might even have more voltage since it is for a bigger motor???:ummm::confused2:
Cheers

Not to burst any bubbles, but I was doing a little research on the Denso COPs and found that 03 Yamahas had an issue:

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...enso-ignition-coils-pictures-questions-4.html

Jeff

Good to know. I'm not familar enough with the R-6's or even with the R-1's to know of any issues. I'm more familair with the GSXR's and Busas and have never heard of any issues nor have i seen any.
The R-6 COPS will work, but looks like its best to avoid the years with the problems.

I have been thinking about this mod for some time. I used to work with fords V-10 that used COP. About 100,000 for the plugs. The plug gaps are set at .052 and would fire the plugs until there just wasn't any electro left. I was always thinking that with the spark potential the MAX would would have better fuel mileage and longer plug life. What are the voltage potential of the bike COP'S?
Dave VMOA#3505

I have not been able to find any info on the output of the Bike COP's. Been to Denso's site and even checked a Factory Suzuki Hayabusa service manual.

Personally, i would not be in a hurry to use Fords COP's. I've had several Fords and have friends/family that have as well. EVERY ONE has had missfire issues more than once on each vehicle. Ended up being a bad coil. Now, there are millions of Fords running around without issues i'm sure, but i just have a bad taste in my mouth with them. Prolly be fine...

Just found out for sure that the Honda CBR600F4 and F4i coils work. Also the F4 and F4i harness connectors fit the Denso COP's from GSXR, Hayabusa, and other Honda's. This allows much more options when hunting a harness with correct connectors to go with the COPs.

Last edited:
My R1 plugs had the Mitsubishi diamond and part numbers on them, no name/ lettering.

anyone thinking of doing this: I can not encourage you strongly enough to get the plugs AND the wiring harness. There is almost no way to wire these and make the connections weather tight with out it. Unless you glue the spade connectors in place. not so good for maintenance.

I agree. The factory style connector is very well weatherproofed and has a lock to keep it secrure.

Latest posts

Back