Continuation of Build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooligans

Reaction score
Some of you may remember this post http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=37688, well after tinkering I finally got the bike all back together - went to start it up in the garage and had a hell of a time getting to to fire. Finally got it to fire and it sounded like a 9mm was going off every couple seconds.

I had some issues with the original 89 motor and decided - F it - after 4 years of messing with it I went halvsies on a 1995 (I wanted the motor/carbs and electronics and a buddy wanted to chassis/suspension). So out went the 89 motor and apart came the 95, now I had already painted and shined up everything else so I couldn't just throw in a nasty old crusty motor, so I cleaned it up, threw some old covers on it and painted the whole motor. I went on a 3 day long Vmax binge and completed everything, went to fire it up - nothing.

I have built more than a few motorcycles over the years but I have never had such bad luck as with this Vmax, or call it stupidity or whatever - nothing seemed to go my way. I guess it was a matter of wanting so badly to finish the project and move on to the next one (and simultaneously building 3 other bikes) that I was overlooking small things. I smashed the original Vmax in 2010, since then I have bought (in various stages of togetherness) 4 Vmaxes (1988,2003,1985,1995) that have been raided for parts.

Instead of looking for easy obvious problems first, I just dialed it straight up to 10 - bike is backfiring, get a new motor! I guess I kinda wanted to upgrade from the old style electronics and ignition and starter and blah blah blah anyways - I really just wanted a running Vmax. It had basically gotten to the point that I just wanted to ride the damned thing once and I would be happy.

So, I am standing there staring at the bike and banging my head against a brig wall :bang head: when I suddenly think, hey, what if i switch the ignition wires around? Can't blow up the motor right? So I give it a try and hit the starter button - instantly starts and runs great.

The moral of this story is - God hates me.

So anyways, linked are 2 videos, one of the 89 motor backfiring (due to rear ignition wires being switched around :bang head: I am amazed it even ran like that) and the latest one of the 95 motor running like a top (forgive the purple front fender - haven't gotten around to painting it yet.)

But I guess it never stops, already went ahead and did the double d clutch mod - bought a new stage 7 jet kit, have a spare set of USD forks sitting around and thinking about upgrading. Not to mention I have enough parts to build at least 2 more Vmaxes....but I rode the damned thing - I rode it once and it wasn't enough :eusa_dance:

https://vid.me/LwnN

https://vid.me/Yl7b

Oh yea, forgot to say - the only thing that remains from the original 1989 Vmax is the speedo. :confused2:

Here are some pics from the day I bought it back in 2009.

Also, now that I have actually gotten to ride the bike, I must say, the frame mod I did http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=37686 really stiffened up the bike. It really helps avoid the rear end torquing around under heavy acceleration. That, and the superbrace and solid motor mounts and progressive suspension front and rear - it feels like a totally different bike.

Attachments

• P1010194.jpg
    P1010194.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010201.jpg
    P1010201.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 32
Yep.....that gets a LOT of people. The rear coils are straight forward. The one on the right, goes to the right, and vice versa. The front ones are CROSSED from the factory.

Great looking bike.....and great story.

That's a neat story, and you have that Vmax looking great. Good to hear you are enjoying riding it.

Everytime i fiddle with the coil connector i write the cylinder number on them, i mean the harness connectors.

Latest posts

Back