Restricted models

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've done about a third of my required reading for new members, I did have a question, I'm looking for a bike now how do I tell if it's a restricted model or not, is a number on the Vin I should look for or something else

I've done about a third of my required reading for new members, I did have a question, I'm looking for a bike now how do I tell if it's a restricted model or not, is a number on the Vin I should look for or something else

Yes it's in the vin.

In the US it's very unlikely you will encounter a restricted model. North America got the full-fat versions. The version without v-boost was made to comply with the French 100hp motorcycle power limit, not sure if those were sold in other European countries or just France.

Japanese market ones lacked v-boost too, but also had a mechanism in the speedometer that would cut ignition to 2 cylinders at (iirc) 180km/h per national requirements (every street legal vehicle sold in Japan must be limited to 180km/h, or about 112mph). Japan has some of the lowest speed limits in the world anyway, aside from major freeways you can get up to a whopping 100km/h, all secondary roads are 60km/h or less. Nice winding 2 lane road? Speed limit is 38 and there's cameras every 100 yards, have fun with your 145hp Vmax.

Well, you could have bought a model that had a Venture engine in it...I've seen them here, when someone wanted to return to the road, but cheaped-out, and bought a Venture engine.

The version without v-boost was made to comply with the French 100hp motorcycle power limit, not sure if those were sold in other European countries or just France.

The Max's brought into the UK were restricted and as far as I can establish no official full power bikes were sold.
However, there was a healthy 'grey' import market in the 90's where the full fat version could be acquired.

Hi Guys,

I have a 3UF engine in my VMAX and is struggling to find out the year model of the bike. The VIN number also don't seem to help a lot. I suspect its a 80ties model even though been sold as a 1992 and then later the documents show 1995. Is there any other way to get the year model etc. Its definitely the Japanese restricted model.

These are the major differences of the 3UF models:

1990-1992 Japan Speed limited to 190km/h
1993-1995 Japan Other fork, brake, exhaust
1996-2001 Japan Changed oil filter, final drive, transmission, clutch

You may also ghet some indication of year from the colour.

Hi Guys,

blah blah ... Is there any other way to get the year model etc. It's definitely the Japanese restricted model.

Search for Yamaha frame number decoder; it has the year, for example below is mine:

JYA2LTN03WA.....
JYA Japan Yamaha A = motorcycle
N = market = Canada
W = model year 1998

BTW all is not lost as it is relatively straightforward to fit the boost parts - see top of this section on what is needed and how to do it.

The Max's brought into the UK were restricted and as far as I can establish no official full power bikes were sold.
However, there was a healthy 'grey' import market in the 90's where the full fat version could be acquired.

I'm sure I read somewhere that around 2000 the full fat version was available.

Going through insurance quotes, this seems to be confirmed as three options are shown
1. 98 Bhp restricted
2. 145 Bhp grey import
3. 145 Bhp UK

It could of course be BS.

Search for Yamaha frame number decoder; it has the year, for example below is mine:

JYA2LTN03WA.....
JYA Japan Yamaha A = motorcycle
N = market = Canada
W = model year 1998

BTW all is not lost as it is relatively straightforward to fit the boost parts - see top of this section on what is needed and how to do it.
Do you have a list of the required part to get max boost on a euro model?
I have manifold, servo and cable so far

Latest posts

Back