Noob saying hi....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolc2

Reaction score
Hey people, new to the site and just thought I'd say hi.

A quick question, I don't own a V Max right now but I do plan on taking the plunge in a couple of months.

What do I need to look for in a used bike? I'm thinking maybe a 2003 or newer.

I am thinking 1996 or newer with lower miles and obviously well taken care of. Since these bikes have changed little since 1985, you may want the newer and most prominent upgrades. I think a 1996 gets you those. What are they? The improved coil pick up set up, the spin on oil filter, the 43 mm forks that are compatible with Yamaha R1 brake calipers to name a few. You could pay more for newer and it is not a bad idea but as your first Max, why spend unnecessarily? My advice has been in the past to try to find a bike with all the upgrades you think you might want already put on. Someone mentioned to be wary of engine mods as they may spell "raced" or abused history. That is possible I guess. There is no replacement for talking to the owner and feeling them out and seeing if they seem honest and forthcoming. There are tons of Maxes that have affluent owners that want the latest and hottest mods and yet are meticulus and "easy" on their rides. Lucky you if you find one of those. Do your research which you have already started and take your time. Feel free to visit and use the V Max sites as they are a great bunch with more knowledge collectively than Yamaha themselves! Welcome in advance to the fraternity. PatMax.

Hey people, new to the site and just thought I'd say hi.

A quick question, I don't own a V Max right now but I do plan on taking the plunge in a couple of months.

What do I need to look for in a used bike? I'm thinking maybe a 2003 or newer.

Welcome to the forum Noob, Ask away alot of VMAX expierence and knowledge here.
Glad to see more and more people joining!!:clapping:

If I had it to do over again, I would buy a 2003 or later also. Probably even a 2006 or later. Every change made to the Max that I am aware of occurs at that point or earlier. The oil pipe system, rectifier, suspension, brakes and other changes are present. I think the clutch pin change is present also but not sure of the year. I would want to include that change also. Someone else can supply the year info on that change. I think all the little problems over the years have been addressed by 2003.

Welcome! Read up on all the info this site and others have to say about the Vmax. There are organized events that you can go to and talk to the owners (We love to talk about our rides!) test ride if you get the chance. Good luck in your search!:thumbs up:

Depends on what your long term goals are. I would buy one that has as many of the modifications done to it that you would want. Most times the mods don't pay you back when you sell the bike so they are better deals for buyers. Some people think that they can get all thier money back from them and will overprice the bike.

There are no real inherant problem to any particular years.

The 85's had issues with transmissions but for the most part most were fixed in the factory recall.

85-92's are pretty much the same with these notes:
*85-89 had analog ignition systems and getting parts for them if they fail is harder (but far from impossible). They also had 2 brush starters that don't work as well as the later models.
*These years also have the smaller forks which aren't as strong as the later models for handling purposes.
*Brakes were smaller and not as good as later models though there are inexpensive adapters to make them much better then the newer bikes have (which can also be upgraded).
*used a canister type oil filter with removeable element. This can be upgraded with spin-on adapters and newer frame crossbar

93 and up:
*Forks were improved for 93 which provide better handling and also gave larger brakes for better stopping power. These are easy to direct swap in R1/R6 calipers for enhanced braking.
*96+ have spin-on oil filters. They also have stonger engine cases which are generally better suited for big bore conversions (though not 100% needed).
*99+ better shift drum segment. Prior to this year there was a weakness to the shift dums shifting engaument mechanism. This can be fixed with the engine in the bike for the early models too.

There are other misc changes over the years but none that I would consider monumental and enough to base a decision on.

I am currently building a bike from scratch for a friend and we decided to use an 85 chassis. This lets him get cheap insurance and registration fees. We are using a 2005 engine though any year would have been fine for his riding style. We are using the older forks with newer wheels and brakes and our adapters so he can install Huyabusa brakes on it.

Anyway, you need to decide what you are wanting to eventually get out of the bike and do a lot of looking around.

Sean Morley

Hey Turbo. Looks like we're both in the same boat. Welcome to the forum. Good stuff here. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back