i. YETI COOLER

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to check on Amazon on what these Yeti coolers are all about. $400!!! That buys a lot of styro foam coolers back in my day.

Had to check on Amazon on what these Yeti coolers are all about. $400!!! That buys a lot of styro foam coolers back in my day.

My YETI Cooler is a TUNDRA 125 , on Amazon right now it's $549.00
I paid $450.00 at an Expo 3 weeks ago , can't say I got a good deal , need to wait and see how it works first .

I will know once we go to a 3 or 4 day race !

They do work well, but like anything, results vary widely. I'm sure their claim of holding ice for 10 days was in the shade, in mild ambient temps, the lid almost never being opened.

If it's in the sun, in 100* weather, and you're opening the lid every 5 minutes for a beer, well, don't expect miracles to happen.

Most people "realistically" say they're good for ~3 days with normal use, in a Texas summer before more ice is needed.

Those look to be very good coolers.

For my birthday I got a Stanley stainless-steel, double-wall growler from our son. I'm not a brewmaster, but there's a great mini-brewery/restaurant by our home. The growler will keep your beer as-cold as you want for a day's activities outside of refrigeration. http://www.titanicbrewery.com/titanic/

When I was sailing from the east coast of FL to the Abacos in the Bahamas with a couple of friends on a Morgan sloop each Easter, we would buy a quantity of dry ice for the built-in food locker. It would keep things frozen 6 full days.

They do work well, but like anything, results vary widely. I'm sure their claim of holding ice for 10 days was in the shade, in mild ambient temps, the lid almost never being opened.

If it's in the sun, in 100* weather, and you're opening the lid every 5 minutes for a beer, well, don't expect miracles to happen.

Most people "realistically" say they're good for ~3 days with normal use, in a Texas summer before more ice is needed.

I totally agree !

Those look to be very good coolers.

For my birthday I got a Stanley stainless-steel, double-wall growler from our son. I'm not a brewmaster, but there's a great mini-brewery/restaurant by our home. The growler will keep your beer as-cold as you want for a day's activities outside of refrigeration. http://www.titanicbrewery.com/titanic/

When I was sailing from the east coast of FL to the Abacos in the Bahamas with a couple of friends on a Morgan sloop each Easter, we would buy a quantity of dry ice for the built-in food locker. It would keep things frozen 6 full days.

Yes , even on the YETI website it says that " Dry Ice " is the best !

Registered my new YETI for the warranty yesterday and ordered another food basket , figured at a four day race with the extra food we bring I may need it .

Also surfing the web about Coolers , I found a thread by a group of Kyakers that say if you are leaving your cooler in a Hot truck , keep your Cooler in a
Sleeping-bag , it insulates the cooler from the extreme heat buildup !

I am going to do this for sure , I figure I can kill two birds with one stone by doing so , this way it will also be Hidden , so maybe it will keep Some SCUMBAG from STEELING IT !

Just received my extra food basket today , now the only thing left for the YETI COOLER is to use it !
" LOL " LOL "LOL"

I just used my Stanley stainless steel 64 oz. 'growler' wide-throat thermos to cool-down some Concrete Beach Brewery 'Hasta Lluego' Belgian trippel beer http://concretebeachbrewery.com/beer/hasta-luego/
and six hours later, after getting the growler filled with draft, it's still good and cold. 9% alcohol by volume. A good way to spend relaxing after a late morning/early afternoon on Miami Beach's famous South Beach, where the thundershowers coming east out of the Everglades sent us headed back home.

If you have any dry ice left, definitely do not put some in a coke bottle with water and then put a traffic cone on top of it.

A couple of buddies have Yeti's and they do work great but never have been around on day two to see how ice held up. I imagine they would work pretty good around here since se are not subjected to 100+ degree days with 80's being the norm. I ran across this comparison of coolers a while back which seemed like a fair test of these type coolers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

I don't have a Yeti Cooler, but I live in ND so I live in a freezer 1/2 the year.
Seriously though, I have considered one of their coffee mugs.
$400 cooler is pricey, but a $600 cooler for $400 is a heck of a deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got one of the RTIC 64oz growler jugs at Buc-ee's the other day for $17, it's friggen amazing. Fill it up half way with ice, brim it with water, and you'll still have ice cold water 48 hours later with a lot of the ice left. I toss it in the bag on the back of the the bike when go out for day trips, nice to have cold water at every stop.

For another $4 you can get the "sport top" with a drinking spout instead of the regular screw on lid. This allows you to sneak half a gallon of beer into virtually anywhere in your "water bottle". And it'll stay cold even without ice for hours, plenty of time to finish the contents.

Going to a big Drag Race , leaving at 3:30 am , finally getting to use the YETI COOLER ,
Just put 40 room temperature Gator Aids , 6 room temperature waters , ham , roast beef , mayonnaise , chocolate chip cookies , 4 packs of Reese's cups , 2 packages of marshmallow peeps and 3 big bags of ice , I'll keep everyone posted on its performance when we return .

JUST PRAYING THAT IT DOESN'T RAIN !

Last edited:
I just got some repair parts for a fishing igloo cooler, not sure as to its capacity, it's about 40" X 17" X 15" which is about 5.5 cu feet so I'm guessing the inside volume is about 100+ quarts, as 1 cu ft. = ~30 quarts.

This is the cooler that has a cm/inch scale molded into the lid. The lid is held by 3 hinges and two latches, and two side straps/lanyards to limit the lid opening from its normal horizontal, closed position to a vertical straight up & down position. Opening the cooler farther than that will soon snap the plastic hinges, if you don't use the lid lanyards. The lid is always attached, and is not removable. The lid also has a molded plastic hollow trapdoor which keeps you from having to open the entire lid to retrieve something out of it. It also has four recesses, two at each end of the large top lid, to hold a typical can or bottle. They're pretty-deep, so if you hit some waves, the container won't fall-out of the molded space in the lid.

From igloo online I got the stainless steel latches, and the hard black plastic hinges w/stainless steel hinge pins, and a new drain to replace a battered cruddy old one. So, replacing all the hardware was about $50, and the cooler should be good for many more years to come. No, not a YETI, I don't need Sasquatch to 'hold my beer' while I do something. I'm too-cheap to spend that kind of $ on a cooler, but I'll spend $50 to repair a decent one I already have.

4 Day's later and ice is 95% gone , I'm sure that if the 40 gator-aids & 6 waters were cold when I put them in the cooler the ice would of lasted another day !
Not stopping for ice during our trip made having it totally worth it for sure !
The other plus was having a cooler with such a big flat top made it very nice to make sandwiches on !

If I can make one suggestion ; Buy a YETI COOLER when your young , the way they are made , you'll never need to buy another one , and over your lifetime the money you save on ice , the YETI will pay for itself !

Me and my boy are going to back to back , 3 day drag races starting the day after Thanksgiving , we will put the YETI through the true , real life test again .

Me and my boy are going to back to back , 3 day drag races starting the day after Thanksgiving , we will put the YETI through the true , real life test again .
You use block ice or cubed? If you have the room a block and some cubes might last longer.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

You use block ice or cubed? If you have the room a block and some cubes might last longer.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I agree , I use cubes , I am aware that people and YETI do say that BLOCK ICE is longer lasting , I need to find a place to buy it !
My freezer is to small to make them myself .

Latest posts

Back