Quick Comment - Preventive Maintenance - Fuel Lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Just a quick comment...

Last weekend I took a ride to Dallas (3 hours away). On my return, my bike stalled about 5 times, but eventually re-started each time and got me home.

I suspected my fuel pump, which I took apart and found everything (including diaphragm) in order. Fuel filter is new. I still have a little suspicion of the pump, because it runs constantly while the bike is running - continual running even at idle.

I replaced the fuel line from the filter to the pump, and ordered the OEM U-shaped fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter. It's been running perfectly for 90 miles now.

At a bare minimum, I recommend you replace the small U-shaped fuel hose (about $12) if yours is old. It could easily get a crack or hole, and draw in air.

I think this tip was originated from Sean, the V-Max master.

Attachments

• Fuel_lines.jpg
    Fuel_lines.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 42
The OEM lines are great quality and last a very long time, but for most of out bikes its already been a very long time +. Thanks for mentioning this.

Yes. And sometimes trying to just use a normal fuel line in place of the u shaped one will develop a kink and block fuel. Still waiting on mine to be delivered.

I also had a crack on the inside of the bend for the original. It would stall after going maybe 500 meters. Took us a while to figure this one out as the crack is not really visible unless you take the hose off.

A few years ago, the original fuel lines in my '85 started to disintegrate, getting bits of rubber in the carbs. I replaced every inch of line from the tank right to the carburetors. That solved the problem, thankfully. To replace the molded "U" hose, I just used a piece of fuel line, and bent it into the "U" shape. I cut it a bit longer than original length, so the bend was not sharp enough to kink the line. Then, the pump started running constantly on the bike. Tightening the clamp up where the line attached to the tank stopped the constant running. The line was leaking air, at the connection but there was no sign of fuel leaking there. The lines leaking after the pump would obviously spew gas, but before the pump, air would be drawn into the line, and be harder to detect. My lines lasted about 30 years, but never leaked. The only reason they were replaced was due to the disintegration.

Latest posts

Back