Flywheel Removal Help Please.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pulled my flywheel on my '06 yesterday to inspect and repair the starter clutch. I used a harmonic balancer puller from Harbor Freight($13) and grade 8 bolts(M8x1.25 x90mm) and hardened washers from a hardware store. I had a hell of a time trying to get it off mainly because i couldn't lock the flywheel in place from moving! Bike was on its center stand, tried standing on the brake but it still turned when I would whack the 1/2" drive ratchet with a small sledge. Kept hitting it and then smacking the shaft as well but nothing. Was going to take the puller off and start over but when I smacked the ratchet to go counter clockwise and take pressure off the puller the whole flywheel popped off in my lap! ...I got lucky I guess. I didn't use a blow torch. I think just continuing to increase the pressure on the puller and then trying to work the flywheel off by hand by wiggling it back and forth in the end was what helped get it loose before it popped off. I also used a flat bar to stop the gear from moving at one point so I could get a few solid hits on the ratchet without the flywheel spinning. Is there a better method or tool for this?
My starter clutch bolts had loosened up, the starter clutch cover was marred and damaged from hitting the heads of the bolts but the rest of it was fine. Regardless, I had to order the whole assembly($115 OEM online), plus the three bolts, two crank cover gaskets, and a small copper washer for the drain bolt in the crank cover.
Will reassemble using red loctite and peening the new bolts as well. Just wanted to share my experience in case it's helpful or anyone has any comments on the flywheel turning while trying to tighten the puller.

When I put the case cover back on, the two tiny ass wires, that is rubber gromented? It uh, got pinched uh alittle bit. Totally cut. But! works now. hee-hee. starts like a champ, no more gravel sound. in fact, starts up so well, no choke is needed.

I just pulled my flywheel on my '06 yesterday to inspect and repair the starter clutch. I used a harmonic balancer puller from Harbor Freight($13) and grade 8 bolts(M8x1.25 x90mm) and hardened washers from a hardware store. I had a hell of a time trying to get it off mainly because i couldn't lock the flywheel in place from moving! Bike was on its center stand, tried standing on the brake but it still turned when I would whack the 1/2" drive ratchet with a small sledge. Kept hitting it and then smacking the shaft as well but nothing. Was going to take the puller off and start over but when I smacked the ratchet to go counter clockwise and take pressure off the puller the whole flywheel popped off in my lap! ...I got lucky I guess. I didn't use a blow torch. I think just continuing to increase the pressure on the puller and then trying to work the flywheel off by hand by wiggling it back and forth in the end was what helped get it loose before it popped off. I also used a flat bar to stop the gear from moving at one point so I could get a few solid hits on the ratchet without the flywheel spinning. Is there a better method or tool for this?
My starter clutch bolts had loosened up, the starter clutch cover was marred and damaged from hitting the heads of the bolts but the rest of it was fine. Regardless, I had to order the whole assembly($115 OEM online), plus the three bolts, two crank cover gaskets, and a small copper washer for the drain bolt in the crank cover.
Will reassemble using red loctite and peening the new bolts as well. Just wanted to share my experience in case it's helpful or anyone has any comments on the flywheel turning while trying to tighten the puller.

A 1/2" drive impact gun is very useful to own. Even the electric ones work well. You'll find many uses for it.

A 1/2" drive impact gun is very useful to own. Even the electric ones work well. You'll find many uses for it.

Thanks for the reply. I want to eventually buy a good compressor and some air tools for my garage, just hasn't happened yet. If I need to pull another one I'll pony up for an electric impact at least.
So I guess you don't worry about the whole thing turning on you as much when using an impact gun?
Someone also recommended putting a penny between the two gears to keep them from moving without the fear of damaging the gears since the penny is softer.

So I guess you don't worry about the whole thing turning on you as much when using an impact gun?
I used that Harbor Freight electric High Torque impact wrench. It is NO JOKE!.
HF Ele Impact wrench.jpg
I can easily take off a truck tire with that thing.

With the high impacting and strength, you don't need to secure the flywheel when loosening or tighten it. You can back out the center bolt a little, which will stop the flywheel from hitting the floor.

That puller from harbor freight was it the 3 claw type?

I would suggest NOT threading the bolt back in and use the puller. When i did mine i sacrificed an old socket instead. Seems cheaper than rethreading your crankshaft if you get it wring using the bolt method

Thanks for the reply. I want to eventually buy a good compressor and some air tools for my garage, just hasn't happened yet. If I need to pull another one I'll pony up for an electric impact at least.
Someone also recommended putting a penny between the two gears to keep them from moving without the fear of damaging the gears since the penny is softer.
No worries of the flywheel moving. Even a little compressor gives enough air for a few seconds. That's really all you need. The electric ones
are kind of big and bulky, but again, work fine.

Latest posts

Back