videos

Go Back   VMaxForum.net > Main Category > VBoost Room

VBoost Room General Bike Discussions

Re: Idle Adjustment
Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 PM

My VMax: burgundy 1994
Default Re: Idle Adjustment

Thanks Steve L. I will try the can of fuel additive 1st and see if that helps. I took it to my local motorcycle mechanic who said it didn't appear to be running rich. Mechanics over here in the Philippines are pretty basic. I tried a couple and neither had a set of vacuum gauges to check the sync of the carbs. I've noticed now that after the idle speed drops from 1000 down to 500, if left to idle for a minute or so, it slowly rises back to 1000. Perhaps, it is just a partially blocked idle jet. There's certainly no problem with the main jets, as she runs perfectly out on the road. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 PM
KDIMD is

My VMax: 1994 Blue
My other bikes: HD FXDC 2008

Kalbo, your in Angeles City? I live in Manila and ride a 1994 vmax that has a supercharger. I am with Mad Dogs so go up quite a bit. I use Rod for my harley when it breaks down in AC. If you make it to Manila, I have a good mechanic that will come over to service my bike. Has nearly rebuilt the thing. Name of Teng Avila. Good work.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 PM
KDIMD is

My VMax: 1994 Blue
My other bikes: HD FXDC 2008

Also, you really need a carb sync. I have one, but since I switched to a holly carb, I put it in storage and cant seem to find it. Will be moving so will likely dig it up then.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 AM

Thanks KDIMD. I used to use Rod Fulley, but i haven't used him for a few years now. I don't think he does much work himself these days, but has his young lads doing most of it. I have spoken with an American guy who I'm told is a 1st class motorcycle mechanic. He is in the States at the moment, but will be coming back to the PI in February. he said he will set it up for me. He has a fully equipped garage at his house here in Angeles. I have it idling better now after i adjusted the air/fuel mix screws on the carbs. If i can't wait until Feb, i may give Rod another go. Thanks

Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM

My VMax: 2003 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMidnight View Post
Surely 'does it smell a bit rich' would be subjective and, if I may be so bold as to suggest, perhaps not the best way to diagnose an issue?
I never cease to be pleasantly amused by MaxMidnight's frustration with less technical approaches. That said, I had the same problem as you (progressively dropping rpm's once they were lower than 2000, eventually stalling), and I agree with everything he said.

If the problem persists at all after adjusting the AF screws, cleaning the pilot air jets using the shotgun method (followed by a carb sync) worked well for me. My mechanic told me it was voodoo. It was not, and I don't use a mechanic anymore thanks to this forum.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 AM

All the idling problems disappeared when I replaced the exhaust system. (see my other post 'A stroke of luck') The previous owner had modified and removed the baffling in the original exhaust and this caused several problems, including loss of power at high RPM's and very poor idling. Trying to balance the massive lack of back pressure by adjusting the carbs was a losing battle. Fitting a newer original exhaust system restored the bike to perfect running condition.