Gen 2 Carbon Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettechman

Reaction score
Anyone used the Barnett Kevlar or Carbon Clutch Plates? Getting Ready to do the ,(add a spring) Clutch Mod. Thinking about ordering the Carbon, Carbon works awesome for Airplane brakes, no experience with it on clutches?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Anyone used the Barnett Kevlar or Carbon Clutch Plates? Getting Ready to do the ,(add a spring) Clutch Mod. Thinking about ordering the Carbon, Carbon works awesome for Airplane brakes, no experience with it on clutches?

Gen 2 or any Yamaha clutch for that matter, I would go with OEM disks.

I've seen plenty of regrets over the years from owners that made that switch.

Unless your clutch is currently slipping, there's no need to change anything. Just add the spring and you're good for 10's of thousands of miles.

One other thing, you should also swap out the spring retainer for the deeper one that Rick Rash sells. It keeps both springs in alignment. You can find him over on Starvmax.com.

Thanks a lot Man, I was kind on the fence. So do you know what the negatives are with Kevlar or carbon? I got the retainer and the spring from guruedgear.

Thanks a lot Man, I was kind on the fence. So do you know what the negatives are with Kevlar or carbon? I got the retainer and the spring from guruedgear.

You're welcome.

Mostly that the clutch gets "grabby", not nearly as smooth as OEM. That can become very annoying especially around town

I personally know of 2 people that went with something other than stock and scrapped those parts and went back to stock. Pretty expensive experiment.

Barnett did/does make a decent kit for the Gen 1 that also replaces the diaphragm spring with coil springs.....but no such thing for the Gen 2.

The 2nd spring in the Gen 2 will greatly extend the life of the clutch. It does increase lever effort....but that can be improved with aftermarket levers like Pazzos. They provide more leverage.

A much more expensive clutch upgrad would be a centrifugal force assisted setup. That allows you to maintain the easier pull off the stock spring with strong clamping force from the weights that are engaged as the clutch spins fast.

OEM it is. Thanks Man, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I like it stiffer, needs to be, can't stand grabby. Had that on a 2 stroke 500, kind of loose control with that grabby shit. Big thanks for the info Brother.

Back