electric fan

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmf1200

Reaction score
Hi fellow Vmaxers, I have a question concerning the electric fan. When does it come on? and does it stay on after you shut the bike off? The reason I'm asking is, I have never heard the fan kick on since i've owned the bike now for 3 years. It's an 1988 and it died a couple of times on me at a stop light when it was hot then I had a hard time trying to start it up again. I tested the fan with direct 12v to it and the fan does work but it hasn't come on by itself when riding on a hot day. I replaced the thermo unit and the thermo switch and filled it with new anti freeze and started it up and let it get up to temp but the fan still never came on. So where on the temp gauge does it kick on, half way in the middle or higher up in the red zone? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't believe the fan will run key off, on mine it is a ways up on the guage before it kicks on but not in the red zone, have you tried grounding the wire on the thermo switch?........with key on it should kick the fan relay into action......Tom.

Manual says around 221 degrees F. It should shutoff around 190-195. The threshold temp is in the red zone but no worries.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe the fan will run key off, on mine it is a ways up on the guage before it kicks on but not in the red zone, have you tried grounding the wire on the thermo switch?........with key on it should kick the fan relay into action......Tom.

Thanks, I will try to ground the switch with the key on and see what happens.

Manual says around 221 degrees F. It should shutoff around 190-195. The threshold temp is in the red zone but no worries.

Mark

Thanks, so maybe I didnt let it get hot enough while idling to make the fan come on. It was right in the middle between C and H

Thanks, so maybe I didnt let it get hot enough while idling to make the fan come on. It was right in the middle between C and H

Yeah, from memory the needle was half way in the red.

Mark

If 3:00 O'Clock is is the middle, my fan kicks in around 2:30. Mine varies between 2:30 - 3:00 when just sitting still. Don't remember seeing it get hotter than 2:15.

Is that black wire that is grounded to the thermostat housing, the ground for the thermostatic switch?

Attachments

• 20180612_125351.jpg
    20180612_125351.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 19
Is that black wire that is grounded to the thermostat housing, the ground for the thermostatic switch?

That wire is for the smaller of the switches which is for the temp gauge.

Mark

maybe I should check the fan relay?

There isn’t one. From the key switch, power goes to the fan fuse, fan switch thermo switch and then fan.

Mark

Ok that's good to know, thanks. I do have a manual for this bike which i got when i bought the bike so i'm just doing process of elimination to fix the fan. I will take the bike for a ride tomorrow, it's supposed to be hot so i'm hoping that the fan will come on. I like everything to work the way it did from the factory when new and the bike is an 88' so that will be an accomplishment. So far i've fixed the vboost which wasn't working and fixed the carburetors, a few of the diaphrams were torn, and changed the steering bearings and put on a set of new tires.

So I took the bike for a ride today in the heat and the fan never came on, when I got home I left it idling since it was all warmed up hoping the fan would kick on but it didn't. I checked the fan fuse and lo and behold, it was blown. So I'm hoping that is my problem and I put a new fuse in but haven't checked it again yet. Now on to my new problem, from starting the bike several times while it was hot put a strain on the battery so now my battery is dead. I ordered a new AGM battery for it, has anybody tried an AGM battery? It's stands for absorbed glass mat and they are totally sealed so no maintenance and no acid to pour in it. Instead it uses fiberglass mats in between the plates I think and they are supposed to have a longer shelf life and hold a charge longer. I will find out soon.

Many have wired in a manual fan switch with success. I use a different thermal switch to kick the fan on earlier. It does run most of the time once it trips which doesn't bother me. Older Gen 1's have a black dot on the temp. gauge. That's where it should be once warmed up.

Many have wired in a manual fan switch with success. I use a different thermal switch to kick the fan on earlier. It does run most of the time once it trips which doesn't bother me. Older Gen 1's have a black dot on the temp. gauge. That's where it should be once warmed up.

I was thinking of adding a relay off the front brake switch to trigger it at traffic lights or sitting in traffic. Then it would go off when released
It doesn't run hot but I figure wtf! :biglaugh:

That sounds like a good idea, do you have a part number of the switch that you substituted? I have a Gen1 its a 1988 so I will look for that black dot on my gauge, thanks.

That sounds like a good idea, do you have a part number of the switch that you substituted? I have a Gen1 its a 1988 so I will look for that black dot on my gauge, thanks.

Either a fan switch for an '88 Nissan Sentra, or Borg Warner TFS545. You'll have
to re-use your o-ring. I used the TFS545.

Latest posts

Back