Carbon Build up and Compression

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just run a tank of diesel through it!? Yikes

My comment was in response to someone asking about cleaning out the engine crankcase, not combustion chamber. A gas engine won't run on diesel (unless there is some residual gas in the lines/tank). A diesel engine will run on gas, but not for long!

Kerosene is a good all around cleaner. I used to use it to clean chains. Didn't damage the O-rings.

Just a quick update....
Took apart the air cleaner, got the bike good and warmed up, idled the choke up to about 3k tmp or so, and did the water trick (used distilled). Was scared as shit to pour that down in there but I hit each carb up 4 times. I got some steam to come out but that's about all I could see.

Let it run for a bit longer and then poured a bit of MMO directly into each carb as well. Now that shit smoked! :D Did that twice on each carb. Seemed mostly white smoke.

Closed it all up and went for a ride to blow everything out. So I guess that should do huh? From the top down the carbs themselves look amazing, not a spec of carbon that I could see. Next time I have the plugs out I'll have a look inside to see what I can see. Maybe the shit in the pistons already blew itself out!?

From what everyone is saying the compression sounds fine, so I'm not going to sweat it and move onto the next area needing attention. Appreciate all the good tips!

Gotta be super careful not to put too much water in at one time...water doesn't compress and can bend a rod. Using a spray bottle to mist it is a good method.

Gotta be super careful not to put too much water in at one time...water doesn't compress and can bend a rod. Using a spray bottle to mist it is a good method.

I used a water bottle with the spout closed most the way. Hope I didn't do too much. When I didn't see anything coming out I did hit all 4 carbs up pretty for one round. Actually stalled it out. Seems to be running fine though. How would I know if I bent a rod?

You would have to pour a shit ton in there to do damage.... misting is easier to control the amount. I mentioned it because it's good to know that too much all at once can be a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back