SPOT tracker-- Follow me to Newfoundland

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So I leave for Newfoundland tomorrow. Here's a link to my SPOT tracker info (I hope). It's a cool device. I'd encourage anyone to pick up one of these things if they're going on a trip of any distance, especially alone.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0X2G3PBqHeFRxsGY3Db6t1Du9GTTlIKG4

I used in on my trip to Virginia from Texas (in the car), and it was handy for everyone to be able to check on our progress without calling or wondering.

wish I could take off and atleast ride with you up a way's but a friends getting some work done at twiggs cycle then e're hitting it up thru pa west of gettysburg Good luck on your trip be safe !!

Seems like a cool idea for the wandering minstrel.
Cudos to you for posting new red pics

Safe travels....
If you pass by Montreal area....let me know,meet for a bit to eat,something to drink...

So I leave for Newfoundland tomorrow. Here's a link to my SPOT tracker info (I hope). It's a cool device. I'd encourage anyone to pick up one of these things if they're going on a trip of any distance, especially alone.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0X2G3PBqHeFRxsGY3Db6t1Du9GTTlIKG4

I used in on my trip to Virginia from Texas (in the car), and it was handy for everyone to be able to check on our progress without calling or wondering.

We'll be tracking along with you Dave. I a great trip.
Steve-o

Made it to my brother's place in South Glastonbury, Connecticut. 10 hours(ish) on the road including a stop at revzilla for a new Klim Overland jacket. It was super hot today. Sat in traffic forever on the Merritt Parkway - TWICE. Then finished with an hour of rain. On to Bangor, Maine tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks like your getting up to Mr. Long's territory, I hope you have the same great weather we are having!:punk:

Dave and his bike are being well cared for, as Frankenmax and I were, during our visit to your place awhile back. One good deed deserves another.
He's off to Newf in a few hours, but I'll see him again on the return leg of his trip.
Hope to ride a spell with him then.
Cheers!

A word of advice: once you get off the ferry at port aux basques, do not pas sup any opportunity for fuel until you hit the grandfalls windsor/gander area. Especially if you're on a 'Max.

I have a freind who rides a 'Max in NFLD, never goes anywhere without a spare jerry can strapped to the back.

It's not horrible in NFLD as long as you stick to the TCH, but rural and you're taking your chances.

But the run from PaB to Stephenville area is pretty bare. Only two stations along the TCH and closed if you hit them after 6 pm IIRC.

There's a decent little stop at Marble Mountain. Fuel and a Tim Hortons. Good place for a "butt rest" and a hot coffee.

The run up the west side is not exactly scenic either. At least not once you get a decent amount outside of PaB. It's all two lane and through the woods, but traffic is always pretty light and the road is pretty new (IE: smooth). Scenery picks up if you get off the TCH and head up to Gros Mourne Nat park. It also picks up once you're past Gambo. The road up to Musgrave Harbour is well worth the detour if on the way to St John's. It's where you see lots of icebergs, if they're still there this time of year. Getting a bit late in the season for that, but Musgrave Harbour beach is a nice stop. Miles of white sand beach. Keep an eye your fuel if you go up that way....

If you plan to spend any time in NS, there's lots of scenic routes and great riding roads. Back side of the Cabot trail is breathtaking. Here's a PR pic from the Cabot Trail:

cape-breton-road.jpg

I'd ride the Cabot more if I could, the road is pure food for the soul. It's just a pretty long haul from where I live.

I personally like marine drive up the Eastern Shore. It's one of our greatest bike road secrets IMHO and hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot by saying that! LOL! The roads are nothing but turns and up and down and it goes on like that for about 3-4 hours once you're out of HRM on the #7. Sherbrooke historic village is a great stop about halfway up for fuel and "butt break" and has a couple great coffee shops. I recommend "Beanie's Bistro" if you go that way. I usually end at the pub in Canso before turning around and going back. Scenery is pure east coast quaint with harbors and fishing villages as old at the 1700's. Marine drive has rough pavement on a lot of it though. Not broken, but rough from repairs. My Venture can almost bottom with 70 psi in the rear shock, I'm betting a 'Max would bottom a fair bit on Marine drive.

If you're getting "monkey butt" on your ride, you're passing right by Lismore sheep farm in River John (NS) and they sell sheep skins (they have a wool shop). I picked up a shearling skin a while back and it makes a big difference with sweat and heat.

I recommend getting a cabin on the ferry if you haven't already. 110 for a night crossing cabin and half price on the day crossing. Well worth it to shower and sleep at night. Daytime it gives you a place to go besides the sitting areas for 6 hours and you can lock up your stuff there instead of dragging it around.

safe travels.

Thanks, man. I'm only heading to corner brook after I get off the ferry. I'm about to head off from John's house to take the tch and 6 across NS to North Sydney.

Ok, which one of you guys was messing with me today? I stopped in Amherst, Nova Scotia for gas and saw a shiny yellow Vmax at the Border Towns Biker Bash. By the time I got back with fuel, it was gone from its parking spot. I promise I wasn't hallucinating.

Ok, which one of you guys was messing with me today? I stopped in Amherst, Nova Scotia for gas and saw a shiny yellow Vmax at the Border Towns Biker Bash. By the time I got back with fuel, it was gone from its parking spot. I promise I wasn't hallucinating.

Could it be Toolman by chance?

Could have been. I just couldn't believe it was gone in the ten minutes it took me to go get gas and come back.

Dave and his bike are being well cared for, as Frankenmax and I were, during our visit to your place awhile back. One good deed deserves another.
He's off to Newf in a few hours, but I'll see him again on the return leg of his trip.
Hope to ride a spell with him then.
Cheers!
:thumbs up::thumbs up: As it should be brother! :worthy:

:thumbs up::thumbs up: As it should be brother! :worthy:
I was very well cared for, of course. Especially when reminded to check my tire pressure which was pretty low after going from super hot DC to really not hot New Brunswick. I'm taking an extra day in Corner Brook to rest after a basically sleepless ferry ride.

Back