Drag Bars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new Vmax owner and I've come from a past of several sport bikes. I really like the look of the drag bars on the Vmax and wanted to hear from people who have them. Can anyone give some descriptions of their experiences riding with them? How does this change the rider's angle? More pressure on the wrists? (trying to get away from this riding position of the sport bikes)

Also, if anyone has any pictures of their Vmax with the grab bars please post them up or you can email them to me directly.

Thanks.

There are a bunch of guys on here that are running the drag bars on there bikes. They do change your position and make the bike more comfortable. But with some of the bars, they will hit the faux cover. Sean sells a superbike bar that works well on my bike for comfort and they clear the cover.

Can you provide a link for these superbike bars by Sean? And do you have any pics of them installed on your bike?

Sean is Mr. V Max!! and is on here as one2dmax. email him ([email protected])or PM him and he can send you his info.

Here is my bike with them on. They were chrome and I had them PC'd

Attachments

• DSC00872.jpg
    DSC00872.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 326
Kevin,

Thanks for the info. This is the link to the drag bars that I was looking at earlier this morning. I'll get with Sean and see what he has.

http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/dragbar_black_progrips.htm

I was looking at your picture and was wondering if that red light up by the speedo is a shift light? If so can you tell me how you have that wired in? The location of the tach isn't all that easy to look at when you're blasting up to the redline.

Else you can always check ebay. You will find UFO bars too and other drag bars there.
The one from UFO I'm using is nice but the one of Sean looks better and is a little bit wider too.

Here are pictures of my Harlan shift light setup. It is mounted with a custom mount from Cycle One-off.
I have run both the Python and Flanders drag bars on my '92 and not run into any problems with them hitting the tank. You do have to make sure they are properly mounted with the "pullback" of the bar not be pointing down; they must be at least horizontal to the ground or a few degrees up from that position.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 156
Yes, the drag bars will fit but do need to be pointed up but to me they look goofy that way. To each his own.

Sean

Redbone: I like your setup. I'm assuming that you opted for the "waterproof" option of the Harlan shift light that I saw on their site? What exactly do they change that makes it waterproof?

As far as the drag bars go, how does the right change for you? How is the sitting position and does it change your ability to handle to bike in turns at all?

I also like your mirrors. They seem to be a lower profile or atleast they come up off the handle bars less then the stock ones. What are those and where did you get them?

The custom dash clock is pretty sweet too!!!

Redbone: I like your setup. I'm assuming that you opted for the "waterproof" option of the Harlan shift light that I saw on their site? What exactly do they change that makes it waterproof?
The "waterproof" option was not available when I purchased mine, but since it only is a $1.50 upcharge I sure it is a clear or maybe color matched rubber cover. I would ask Harlan. That being said I have had no problems with water or any glitch with mine. I connected it to the tach and haven't touched it since. I had it velcro mounted until I figured out where I wanted the light then I had Tom @ Cycle One-off make me a custom mount. It cost more than the shift light itself. Just talk to Tom once you decide where to mount it and he'll make a sweet looking/ functional mount.

As far as the drag bars go, how does the right change for you? How is the sitting position and does it change your ability to handle to bike in turns at all?
I like the sitting position better than stock. It's lowered and moved my hands forward giving me a slight lean into the wind. My body weight is still mostly on the seat and maybe a little more on the pegs. The drag bars made me feel more in control as they added more weight to the front wheel.
I also made some other changes which may have helped the "more in control" feeling. I added progressive fork springs lowered 2", a Morley seat that was lowered about 2 ", better tires (Bridgestone then, and Shinko's now, probably Metzlers next). So, it's a combination of different parts.

I also like your mirrors. They seem to be a lower profile or atleast they come up off the handle bars less then the stock ones. What are those and where did you get them?
The mirrors are inexpensive Bikemaster universal mirrors. They are good mirrors but still suffer the same problems the stockers do, the do not stick out far enough to see past your arms/ shoulders. I have looked at better looking, more expensive mirrors and thought I would replace these, but they do their job well. Now with wider flanders handlebars I can see around my arms so it may be a while before I replace them. I also like em b/c you don't see them everyday. Hmmm, maybe there's a reason.....:ummm:

The custom dash clock is pretty sweet too!!!
The dash clock pic was a super secret design that I let slip out before production. Sadly it never went into production but I got to keep the test mule. It is so trick ! :eusa_dance:

While my drag bars are slightly pointed up yes, I did this to keep the angle correct from my shoulders to the bars. They aren't oddly angled IMO and look bad ass too.

They are also long enough to mount everything to the bar without crowding things.

Chris

Attachments

• Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2401.jpg
    100_2401.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_2398.jpg
    100_2398.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 123
Drag bars hit my tank and didnt lean me enough,clip ons cost more and are "more of a pain to install" because the way my bike is set up...

Pissed off that I couldnt find any bars I liked, I made my own.They are similiar to the stock ones flipped but some cutting and welding is involved to keep from ruining your wrists.

I get ALOT of lean from them and no wrist pressure.

I also feel and have had friends say that in the curves Im leaning more and get lower.The bike feels much more responsive now in my opinion. Oh and It helps use my "wind screen" more being lower.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 111
Patrick78,
Drag bars on the vmax isn't as bad as you might think. Controls will clear faux tank with the right orientation. Different ergonomics compared to other bikes. I had a ZRX years ago & tried drag bars...way too far forward. There is more forward lean obviously but it's not like you're reaching for the front axle. I have a different bar now. Cover shipping & the drag bar is yours.

Latest posts

Back