17" front wheel, speedo healer?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
Should I live with it or is there a fix for this? I thought Boxenstopp had one but couldn't find it in their catalog.

I'm pretty curious about this same issue Mark-o. I heard there was a way to alter the gearing in the oem unit and that it required 2 oem units to have the parts necessary to accomplish this.

That seemed a little odd to me and I never went any farther with it. :confused2:

Mike, I thought I remembered something like that but haven't found it yet. Thanks!

Correct. I think it's a YZF part. I have one somewhere but not sure if I can even id it again.

Sean

Cool, I wonder if the part number is on the housing? I was also told either an FZR 750 or 1000 speedo gear would work.

Thanks guys. It looks like the speed gear from the 600, 750 or 1000 will work. I'm not sure what tires are on Frank's bike...I believe Shinko so hopefully it'll at least be closer than stock! I did find a unit from an FZR600 for $10.00. Sean, if you have time to look I'd prefer to buy one from you.

i wonder whats closer, an oem speedo gear with a 120 radial or the 17" healer...

I have used the YZF Yamaha Tundercat 17" wheel speedo drive for years with great resuts. Tried a SPA, bleached out in the sun, inconsistent accuracy, rpm blocked mph readout. When it worked was very accurate. My GPS read 148 mph and the SPA read 150 mph. I prefer Thundercat speedo.

rick rash

I have used the YZF Yamaha Tundercat 17" wheel speedo drive for years with great resuts. Tried a SPA, bleached out in the sun, inconsistent accuracy, rpm blocked mph readout. When it worked was very accurate. My GPS read 148 mph and the SPA read 150 mph. I prefer Thundercat speedo.

rick rash

I haven't heard much about the spa. When you say bleached out are you talking about the face of the gauge? Any idea on what caused the inconsistent readings?

yup, same here with 120/70-17 Metz Interacts.

i feel like the thundercat would be better for you!

Using the tire chart results and differences in circumfrences, revs/mile, etc. is it possible to calculate what speedometer error should be? :confused2:

yea i imagine you could if the 110/90 stock is perfect.

On sunny days my SPA LCD was not readable for mph. Sometimes the speedo or tach would swing wildly. Like a bad ground. Checked?

rick

Latest posts

Back