Vmax prices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Is there something in the Texas water around here causing people to ask absurd prices for Vmaxes?

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1986-vmax-1200cc-motorcycle/6380386068.html
'86 with a goofy headlight and ugly paint job. No title. Can be yours for only $6500! The "cheap bond" actually will cost you around $600 and a day of running around to government offices to get.

If that's a bit spendy, you can save a few bucks on this one that needs a "no major project" carb rebuild.
https://killeen.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-86-max-1200-vmx12-vmax/6380383838.html

Or maybe more into this rusty, dirty gem?
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/motorcycle-for-sale-maxyamaha/6350233257.html

Better jump on it- it's going to go fast at this steal of a price. So fast all the bodywork blew off!
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1989-max-1200/6332211844.html

If all those are a bit out of your budget, maybe you can save a few bucks and buy into this high miles accident victim. It's a steal compared to the others.

https://killeen.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-vmax-1200-muscle-bike/6383541601.html

Here's a "clean, running one that would cost you an arm and a leg" per one of our crack smokers above.

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2003-yamaha-vmax-1200/6376402957.html

What, what? It's the cheapest one? How could that be?

Something in the water? Like, jimson weed? Those prices are 'way-out! As-in, "'way-out of range!"

So an old bike not running, or needing probably $1,000 in parts and labor to get it to turn-over, and maybe run, on an auxiliary gas tank, because the OEM one is rusty, filled with a layer of nigrescent scime, and needing a battery, not to mention replacing the dry-rotted tires, "gimme $6,000 and this beauty can ride your trailer all the way home!"

Good god, the humanity! Say it ain't so, Joe!
00202_d2HE9HlGSyV_600x450.jpg

Many years ago, the city where I worked had an auction, and they had a drug confiscation VMax, which was sorely-needing a huge amount of work. As I recall, it sold for over $2K, and I thought that it sold for four times what I figured it was worth. $3,900 for this? If someone offered it to me for $390, I wouldn't be too-thrilled, except as a part-out.

Here's one that only needs a new motor, $1700, San Francisco/Napa valley CA.

For Sale 1986 Vmax 33,000 Miles One Owner, New Dunlop white lettered tires all brake pads and front rotors. Carbs recently cleaned, motor will start and run but needs a rod bering replaced, asking 1700.00 OBO

00101_azVGH0px1wI_1200x900.jpg

Another (San Rafael) CA bike:
Been in Storage for 7 yrs Original owner 14k miles Fastest street bike in 89 Needs new battery & tune up $6900

00H0H_6yRxPmGFBns_600x450.jpg

Around here you can buy a Hyabusa that will do 185 mph, and needs a new pair of tires, for less than that!

Where people are getting that a 25 year old Vmax that needs a lot of work is worth $6-7k is totally beyond me. Maybe for a super cherry '85, a collector might pay something up in that range. For some totaled '87 that's been sitting outside for who knows how long? It's worth maybe a couple hundred to someone who'd want it for parts.

To me, Godzilla is priceless. If I ever got in a situation where I needed to sell it, honestly I think it would actually be worth maybe $1500 or so. It's old, got tons of miles on it, and certainly isn't as pretty as it was back in 1985. Toss in the fact that it could use carb work, maybe $1500 is too much. But even if it blew up tomorrow, I'd keep it.

People are on crack!
I do however get the sentimental value thing to though.
I took a chance on my 10600mi bike that was in almost perfect condition BUT SMOKED PROFUSELY
and paid $2400. He was asking 3500 but made no mention of it smoking.
After what I had been looking at for A LOT more $$$$ or oxidised all over the place and 4x the milage I figured I'd take a gamble and have valve seals installed and HOPE that fixed it.
Well by the time I got home the ring (I'm guessing) freed up from sitting 3+ years and stopped smoking when I started it to put it in the garage.
My point is to ME $3500 is my MAX I would spend on a 24 yr old bike in My bikes condition ONLY because I loved these bikes since they came out.
Look at what you pick up a 2nd gen for now.

Attachments

• windscreen.jpg
    windscreen.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 22
That’s crazy ass bs lol. I’ve seen crazy prices in my area as well, but some are worth it tho. Big difference between asking that for a stock bike, or one that has a lot of work done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are on crack for sure. I DO love these bikes and always have but are they rare ? That is a big no they are a dime a dozen and the market sucks more than ever on bikes right now. I have bought and sold all different kinds of bikes for years and never seen it so bad as the last few years. I have always tried to be really fare on my prices to. I always take mileage into account to. I have learned over the years the general public does not like bikes with over 25,000 miles they seem to think of them as high miles and not much use trying to explain to the majority of them. I just sold this 86 to a friend of a friend it has almost 54,000 on it runs like a top maybe I am to cheap sometimes but I believe in being fare. I sold it for 2,000 and he wanted a new paint set $ 600 so he got a nice bike for 2,600 but the miles were high for most people.

Attachments

• 20171114_121754.jpg
    20171114_121754.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20171114_122018.jpg
    20171114_122018.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20171113_133741.jpg
    20171113_133741.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 25
I think it is funny when sellers will say " doesn't run but just needs a battery, or carb work, solid bike though" ....yeah cause a bike sitting for the past who knows how long is a solid bike, lol, and I'm gunna take your word that it's fine once it is running.
I paid too much for my 85, I'm over it now, live and learn. Deffinately should have gotten onto this forum about 2 months earlier than I did.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

It's gotta be something, even around my area they are high. A couple decent prices ones. I think it might have something to do with the second gen. So now everybody thinks the first gen is now an expensive collectors item. If you want one, your paying second gen prices. Now the 25th anniversary editions lol, $7,000???? $6,500............ Really?? For a special red metallic paint and a badge that says 25th???? Phsss. I can buy a vrod for $5,500.

When I go to sell, I'd rather put a fair/reasonable price on it to have a relatively quick sale, than reach for the absolute top dollar, wait for months to sell, and deal with endless tire kickers and craigslist morons before eventually accepting a lower price anyway.

I feel like they are all over the place in my area. This very moment there is nothing on Craigslist near me. My 86 was on Craigslist for $3500 for several months and the guy couldn't sell it. My buddy ended up buying it for $2900, put like 100 miles on it in a year, then sold it to me for $2000 lol.

Sometimes we have one or two on CL with widely varying prices, but right now there is no Vmax on CL in my area. Might make it easier to ask a higher price, these bikes require a special buyer anyway. What I would have to get for mine to let it go is a higher number than it's actually worth, for now. We'll see what the coming years bring.

I found my 6800 mile 2002 for $4000 two years ago, there are similar deal from time to time. The only $6000 V-maxes I've seen on CL are mid 2000's with almost no miles, basically new. Those bikes in the original post wouldn't bring in $2000 here.

Let's keep in mind that you can ask whatever you want, it's the sale that sets the true value, not what someone wants for it. It's only worth what someone will pay for it. And I think those bikes will sit there until the price drops to realistic levels. Or someone with more money than sense buys one. maybe that's what they're hoping for?

Handful of Vmax's popping up here. Most with 15k-35k. Most have been sitting up for sale all season. Anything priced in the $2500 range seem to come off within a few weeks. Anything over $3000 seems to sit for awhile and are usually average condition.

I wouldn't pay the asking prices in the first post, but in The Netherlands a fairly stock Vmax will cost you about 3500 - 4000 euro's. The milage coul be anywhere around 25.000 to 40.000 miles.

Mine is a '96 and ran 29.000+ miles. Valued 9.000 euro's. Wouldn't sell it below 7.500 euro's if I sold it.

rJjNSFk.jpg

Latest posts

Back