suggestions for windscreen

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was about to grab a windscreen and realized that my setup doesn't look very standard at least as far as most bikes go.... The location of the bars, headlight and turn signals is just different from what I can see....

So, I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for windscreens....

I want something that will fit/mesh with the way the bike is setup now, that isn't like a giant CH(i)Ps police windscreen but offers good wind blockage for the cold weather while also (if possible) looking good and being somewhat aerodynamic...

I am also looking to get some handguards for blocking the wind on my hands....and if anyone could share info on what fits and what doesn't it would be helpful...

I am surprised there isn't more options or exact fit parts for Mr Max, but from what I can see there are very few, if any of those out there....

Please see attached pic... The grips and turn signals as well as the light are not stock....

Thanks for any thoughts...

Attachments

• bike front.jpg
    bike front.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 67
I can't remember the name off the top of my head but I know there's one that will block the wind for your hands all in one.

National Cycle & Memphis Shades have some fork mount ones that will work, you should check fit because of turn signals before purchase. Aerodynamic and good coverage are probably mutually exclusive however, and handling dynamics are going to limit your upper-speeds, FYI.

You might consider some individual hand deflectors, and a narrower windscreen, though a bit of fabrication is likely. GIVI and the stock 'flycatcher' are viable wind-breakers, though they aren't H-D 'batwing' coverage level, and do nothing for your hands.

Thanks for the thoughts....

What is the "stock fly catcher"?

I'm surprised there isn't more or anything really made just for Max.... It's not that rare of a bike I wouldn't think...

I'm surprised there isn't more or anything really made just for Max.... It's not that rare of a bike I wouldn't think...

Something similar to this.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 64

STOCK Flycatcher screen kit (brackets plus screen) STILL AVAILBLE from Yamaha.

Part number is:

ABA 1FK04 00 30

Ebay completed auction #

Hope that helps

I have a Spit Fire windshield that I no longer use. Decent enough, just prefer the naked look.

$40 shipped to cont US if interested.

Small fly catcher screens help more than I ever expected. They look decent also. I've got a Memphis Shades, taller one that does the job. But it is uggggly. And does nothing for keeping my hands warm.

I have a Givi Astars 123 which is a "fly catcher" style windshield a little bigger than the stock Yamaha "fly catcher". The Givi works good for me as there are lots of bugs due to all the lakes and rivers in rural areas around me. It also keeps the blast of v-boost and triple digit air off my body. I like to have the air on the helmet and arms as my helmet breaths well and my jacket has long vents that run from the wrists goes through armpit area down to the waist line on the side.
I have used a Givi A31 which is a full 20" high windshield which works great in inclement weather but way too warm on sunny warm days for my tastes. It still leaves your hands uncovered so you would have to adjust for that if riding in cold temps.

I picked this Chinese one up from Ebay, in smokey brown color (they called it maroon).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Wind...08&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

I think the mounting screws should have been made out of stainless steel. After a few weeks, it developed a tiny bit of surface rust in the corners of the Philips head slots on mounting bolts. Barely noticeable. I plan to get some SS from Lowes next year.

Other than that, I like the look.
Chinese Ebay Shield - 2.jpg

The one D-Max2012 got from China looks like the best bang for the buck, if you can put some hand shields on your bars.

Thanks for the help...

I'm still trying to decide what I want... I've read people's posts and comments about these and it sounds like there is no perfect solution....

I've never had a shield on my bikes and I don't really know what it's like... Today it was 20 something degrees, and will be for several days so I'm thinking it might be nice to have....

I've got a few choices on hand here

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_125117187.jpg
    IMG_20171118_125117187.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20171118_125127418.jpg
    IMG_20171118_125127418.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20171001_161209477.jpg
    IMG_20171001_161209477.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20171001_161231707.jpg
    IMG_20171001_161231707.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
This company's been around a long time.
http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Fairing...MIz4O3xsmq2AIVxR2BCh1KJQugEAAYASAAEgLWiPD_BwE

002402M.JPG

This one's $300 and it looks like it provides good protection.
http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Classic/Yamaha/Rifle-Classic-Windshield-VMAX-1986-2007.aspx

And this additional accessory, looks like a lower fork mount

Rifle-Classic-Lowers_M1.jpg

http://rifle.com/Classic-Lowers-for-Yamaha-V-Max-93-07-P2103.aspx

Thanks for all the offers...

Please forgive me for not jumping on one right off... I just spent my allowance on new shocks so between that and the holidays, I'll need a few days to recover....

That last one looks like a Max doing an impression of a Police bike, which isn't really what I am going for... although I'd guess it provides the best wind protection...

I can't wait for Spring....

Latest posts

Back