Gen1 vs Gen2 (Old School vs. ??)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
I'm no where near being able to get on a Gen2. But I'm still more than content of dropping dough on my Gen1.
So here it is:

Let's hear all about your Gen2's. I want to hear the Carb vs. FI. I want to hear the ups and downs. Does having a state-of-the-art ride keep you from feeling those old "muscle car" Gen1 rumblings?? What about SOUND?? What about the Mod Monkey??
And seriously, what about the 1700cc!!!
The only time I've ever seen a G2 was at a MC Show and the only time I've heard one is on YouTube.

Its quite and will never sound like a gen I.t handles great for a big bike, and it is a BIG BIKE. but it goes like a fucker!

Its quite and will never sound like a gen I.t handles great for a big bike, and it is a BIG BIKE. but it goes like a fucker!

Ah Rick ... regarding the sound... just replaced the CAT with Mark's mid-pipe collector / kept the stock mufflers / got the Nash reflash for it.... it sounds frickin great to my ears now! Very close to how my Gen 1 sounded with the Mark's S.S. 14" muffler system :clapping: I'm happy now !

The rest is as you said... handles great for a big bike and goes like a fucker !! Even more so with the Nash reflash. That's one mod that is well worth the cost to do.

What's the saying? "There's no replacement for displacement"? Something like that. Fuel injection is the bees' knees man. If you mod, simply put on a Powercommander V tuner module, attach a laptop, and start tuning. 250,000 test & tune rides later, and with the bike again running smoothly, you go buy some dyno time to have the pro tuner confirm, or deny, your seat of the pants tuning ability. lol

Worked well for me during the tuning after my wife bought her Gen II. The tuner confirmed, not only a strong 185hp, but also the smoothest self-done AFR map he'd ever seen on his dyno. For MY Gen II, eh er, not so good of luck. But after figuring out a faulty PCV, all is right with the world again. But I have yet to get any dyno time after smoothing out the map.

And if you think the gas mileage on our Gen 1 is bad while flogging it down the road, wait until you have to get gas in your Gen II when the light pops on every 66 miles. (75 miles if you ride in conservative mode)

Overall, riding a Gen II is addictive. You park it in the garage after a long day, yet want more before you get your jacket off. (especially after a day trying to keep up with a bunch of TX maniacs while riding the Three Twisted Sisters)

Ah Rick ... regarding the sound... just replaced the CAT with Mark's mid-pipe collector / kept the stock mufflers / got the Nash reflash for it.... it sounds frickin great to my ears now! Very close to how my Gen 1 sounded with the Mark's S.S. 14" muffler system :clapping: I'm happy now !

The rest is as you said... handles great for a big bike and goes like a fucker !! Even more so with the Nash reflash. That's one mod that is well worth the cost to do.

Ditto... I have the same exact setup as Jeff (he helped me install it) and I have to say that I'm more than happy with the way my gen2 sounds and performs. Ditching the cat for Mark's mid-pipe/collector makes a gen2 sound like it should; much louder and a deeper rumble. The only negs of the gen2 IMO are the short range and, of course, the higher cost of owning and modding one.

Scott

Worked well for me during the tuning after my wife bought her Gen II. The tuner confirmed, not only a strong 185hp, but also the smoothest self-done AFR map he'd ever seen on his dyno. For MY Gen II, eh er, not so good of luck. But after figuring out a faulty PCV, all is right with the world again. But I have yet to get any dyno time after smoothing out the map.

And if you think the gas mileage on our Gen 1 is bad

Wow!! To have a better half that rides!! And.. A frigging Gen2!! Cool indeed!!

I dont have any comparison between the gen 1 & 2. But I did trade in my gixxer 1000 just recently for a new 2012 vmax. All I can say is awesome. Love the power and torque it delivers. Its torque is compared to my crf 450 but on serious steroids. I have to agree that gas mileage is not the best but the fun factor makes up for lack of mileage. The other day the fuel light came on at 60 miles. I was a little throttle happy. This new max has rejuvenated my excitement to ride again. For me it has been one of the best moves Ive made in a while. The new Gen2 max may not be for everyone but Im glad I made the move. I have a shit eating grin on my face every time I ride just like a little kid about to get into trouble. I think it handles well for its size and weight even at stock suspension settings. I think if you are a Vmax fan, you will not be disapointed with the new gen2 other than gas mileage.

I dont have any comparison between the gen 1 & 2. But I did trade in my gixxer 1000 just recently for a new 2012 vmax. All I can say is awesome. Love the power and torque it delivers. Its torque is compared to my crf 450 but on serious steroids. I have to agree that gas mileage is not the best but the fun factor makes up for lack of mileage. The other day the fuel light came on at 60 miles. I was a little throttle happy. This new max has rejuvenated my excitement to ride again. For me it has been one of the best moves Ive made in a while. The new Gen2 max may not be for everyone but Im glad I made the move. I have a shit eating grin on my face every time I ride just like a little kid about to get into trouble. I think it handles well for its size and weight even at stock suspension settings. I think if you are a Vmax fan, you will not be disapointed with the new gen2 other than gas mileage.

Very cool comparison.. A Gixxer 1000, wow!! I have a buddy who rides a '12 Gixxer and I dont think he'd praise anything but his ride (maybe the new BMW RR!!)!!
Welcome to the VMF and congrats on your GenII !!
Awesome!!

KarmaKatt
VMOA 5652

I used to be the same way with all the gixxer's Ive owned but between age, not wanting to lean forward and a few things that happened over the past year, i made this move. Wasnt ready for a full cruiser and still wanted power, so I went with a happy medium. Again, it was a great move and I can see why now that Vmax has such a cult like following. So if there people torn about getting a new gen2, not to worry. You will not be disappointed. They are a little pricey but hell do you want to sit on the sidelines or do you want to enjoy life? I chose the later! Peace!

I have a couple gen 1 and got the chance a couple yrs back to drive a gen 2....... Holy addictive.....if I had the cash, for the ride,technology your getting for sure if you can afford it get a gen 2. If you can't then you will not be sad with a gen 1 as its super fun and holds its own.

As for carb vs fuel inj.....well I'm picky and like my throttle response. Even the best of them(like BMW) I find there is a slight delay in part throttle off and on the gas like in a turn or behind a car or when you slight check up on the throttle and get back in it, and it drives me bonkers....all fi bikes I find have it and well if your just full twist you won't see it......just my experience but all in all great bike to ride and have fun on.......again like gen 1 it's not like other bikes not a copy so you can feel like your on a special beast.......

I have a couple gen 1 and got the chance a couple yrs back to drive a gen 2....... Holy addictive.....if I had the cash, for the ride,technology your getting for sure if you can afford it get a gen 2. If you can't then you will not be sad with a gen 1 as its super fun and holds its own.

As for carb vs fuel inj.....well I'm picky and like my throttle response. Even the best of them(like BMW) I find there is a slight delay in part throttle off and on the gas like in a turn or behind a car or when you slight check up on the throttle and get back in it, and it drives me bonkers....all fi bikes I find have it and well if your just full twist you won't see it......just my experience but all in all great bike to ride and have fun on.......again like gen 1 it's not like other bikes not a copy so you can feel like your on a special beast.......

I've never owned a muscle car but I've been in a few, between friends and family. That rumble feeling and noise just at idle is a feeling all it's own. That's why I was asking about the GenII's. Man, I'll bet to have that much power would be unreal. But if it feels like a gentle (yet powerful) wind..??
Still, I'd be really interested to see what Yami has in store for the 30th edition :eusa_dance:

I'm sure with a pipe chg and power commander as mentioned you will get exactly the feel and sound you are looking for.....

Yes hearing and feeling a muscle car at idle or wide open is a pretty good zen moment in life.lol

I'm sure with a pipe chg and power commander as mentioned you will get exactly the feel and sound you are looking for.....

Yes hearing and feeling a muscle car at idle or wide open is a pretty good zen moment in life.lol

Latest posts

Back