VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: oil

Rotella is a diesel oil, it has the added zinc that our wet clutch needs, 15w40, it will also make finding neutral lot easier, personally I would stay away from synthetic oil it makes our clutch slip

This is what I bought last week. Not changing it till I do the starter clutch this weekend. But in the past I had used Castrol 15-40, found my starter clutch and Barnett clutch slipping. SO I will go with Most of the Forum and try Rotella.....

Over the last 29 years, I swore by Castrol GTX.. Then I swore by Walmart SuperTech... Now I swear by Rotella... All this swearing must not have offended the motorcycle engine gods, because the thing is still holding together, pushing 128,000 miles now.

Rotella... bar none. Plus I found neutral way easier with a new clutch. Apparently the clutch plates must have been sticking causing drag making neutral a bitch to find. Now I just stop and click neutral. What a difference

Pick up some blue antifreeze today, To almost match the paint on my bike.

Sorry posted this in the wrong threat, man I'm pain pills from the car crash, sorry

Attachments

• IMG_20141006_171604.jpg
    IMG_20141006_171604.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 60
I use a wet clutch compatiable 10w40 Synthetic, currently running Valvoline Synthetic Motorcycle oil in my 2005

Shell Rotella 15W40 in my 99 VMax, and my 14 Versys. Not synthetic, Heavy Duty, Low cost, Shifts better and finds neutral better than the high cost Mobil 1 ever did. Too many people ahead of me said use it and they were right.

Best value, best results, buy Rotella T4 15W40. Anybody that's been around bikes for years swears by it. I buy the 2.5 gallon jugs and use it in all the bikes. Done.

I'll give it a try when the next oil change is due. It's sold under another name here in Europe.

Took a picture of it.

mSVUmZd.jpg

I'm planning to change the oil this week, but suddenly found myself being a bit reluctant to use the Rotella, as it states is for heavy duty diesel engines. Obviously it's being used by other members, but can anyone explain to me as "why" it's okay to use it in a gasoline engine?

Thanks in advance,

Rinco

I'm planning to change the oil this week, but suddenly found myself being a bit reluctant to use the Rotella, as it states is for heavy duty diesel engines. Obviously it's being used by other members, but can anyone explain to me as "why" it's okay to use it in a gasoline engine?

It's a good all-purpose oil and has a lot of Zinc in it for the diesel engine's gear train. We have to lube our transmissions with engine oil and other gear driven components too. Rotella is also clutch friendly. Not too slick like most auto synthetics.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. If there is any additional info, it would be welcome as well. Over here in The Netherlands it's frowned upon, so I'd like to give them some facts.

If you look at the back fine print, you'll see a listing of approvals. If you see JASO MA or similar, this is an indication it is approved for use in wet clutch (motorcycle) applications. If you see "Energy Conserving" anywhere on the oil STAY AWAY as it will ruin your clutch.

Hmm... I've read the page you've linked to and it states:

Heavier oils (15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-50, etc.) should only be used for warm weather (65°F or higher).
That would be a serious problem for me.

Latest posts

Back