Windshield (yes, another thread but with a twist)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propwash

Reaction score
Good morning / evening / afternoon...

I'm looking for a windshield for my 99 max, for longer rides. I spent a fair amount of time whittling down my options and trying to find the right balance between one that offers enough protection (full body + head...not just chest) and one that doesn't look like a barndoor, and kill the vmax looks. I THINK I'm going with the National Cycle deflector shield...but then there's the Givi 20in...hmmm.

And then... there's a 3rd factor: Ease of installation. As I've already claimed here I'm more pathetic than an armless monkey in the mechanical/ DIY aspect of ownership. Not even sure where my philips screwdriver is (wait, do I have one?) I've read a lot of max owner who are very happy with their shields but only after doing some mods: Building their own mounts, moving blinkers, cutting out parts of shield...yikes. Showstopper for me. I'm a rider only, not a tinkerer.

So can anyone recommend any "turnkey" medium-sized windshield which is easy install (and removal, for local riding)? FYI, I owned a V-star years ago and installed my own shield, which if i recall, was out of the box compatible with the bike.

This is the list I'm considering, by the way...

You mentioned full body and head,not just chestThe links you have there seem to be just for chest with exception of the last one,unless you are short.I have the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce and it is 18 tall and still gets my head.I am 6'1.I put a deflector on mine from LAMINAR.It deflects the air over my head.I did have to relocate my signal lights for the shield but I am happy with it.Any shield will make the VMAX suffer in looks but I will take that sacrifice for the improved wind protection.

Ok, good point I should have added my height - I am 5'10"

The Givi 20in is tall but nicely shaped, I think it might be a decent tradeoff.

+1 for the Memphis Shades windshield. In cooler weather it makes for a lot more comfort. It sits so I can see right over the top of it. 90 mph is max. speed when the shield is on. I learned a hard lesson finding that out. I leave the mounting brackets on all season and can slip the shield in place and secure it in a couple of minutes. Ugly? Yes, no doubt. But except for the short shields, they all are ugly, IMHO.

+1 for the Memphis Shades windshield. In cooler weather it makes for a lot more comfort. It sits so I can see right over the top of it. 90 mph is max. speed when the shield is on. I learned a hard lesson finding that out. I leave the mounting brackets on all season and can slip the shield in place and secure it in a couple of minutes. Ugly? Yes, no doubt. But except for the short shields, they all are ugly, IMHO.

What happened after 90? I don't see myself venturing much over 90 but maybe this one time or two where I want to explore the envelope a bit.

And does it require any mods to the bike like moving the turn signals?

You have a mini shown and that's what I went with. It does a pretty good job but I would think not as good as the larger ones.
attachment.php

IMG_20170925_130646117.jpg
I just put this one on, 2 days ago..
Took it to New York State - Bear Mountain to test it out yesterday..
$49.00 on Ebay - from China..
Got here in about 5 days..

A new Givi isn't going to be $49. Decent looking Chinese product, though. The materials quality & metal finish is often not long-lasting.

here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WINDSHI...ash=item3f85dcac43:g:b2sAAOSwEQFZqM2d&vxp=mtr

They sell 4 colors.. Note: the one they call Maroon is really a dark tan or brown. (which is what I purchased.. I emailed them to ask what color they called Maroon).
(they got back to me in 1 day)

It feels like it's made of a Lexan type material and is around 3mm thick.
It comes with two mounts that are held in place between your aluminum signal mounts and the turn signals (stock) rubber stand-offs . So you'd have to loosen your turn signals to get them mounted. I had to bend them a little to make it match with the curvature of the shield.

Since the heat of the day, and the packing flattened out shield a bit, I needed to heat it up a little to get back shape. I didn't want to stress the plastic while mounting it.

I measured the actual distance of where the mount had to be. which is 7 and 1/16th inches or 181.09 mm. This way, I knew where it had to be while re-shaping it over a stove burner, which I held about 1.5 feet, with my welders gloves on. Now, since any polymer material will have some flex-back, once it cools and you release the tension on it, I measured how much rebound it had. This came out to be about 16mm (little more than 1/2 inch).. So I bent it a little more, then tied it with a bungee to hold it in place while it slowly cooled. When I release the bungee, it fit perfectly where it needed to be, without stressing the plastic at all, during installation.

Maybe I over thunk it too much, but I figured I'd give it the best odds of working,, even if it was only $49.00.

Now I need to clean it up, since I squashed a few bugs, doing 80 yesterday :biglaugh:

I've got a screen that was traded in a few weeks back. I haven't gotten a picture yet but feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can try to get that info to you.

I have been to 125 with my Memphis Shades a couple times with no problem.The shield actually seems to get more stable at higher speeds as strange as that sounds.

I have been to 125 with my Memphis Shades a couple times with no problem.The shield actually seems to get more stable at higher speeds as strange as that sounds.

Good for you. You've solved the vmax high speed stability issue. Anyone new, let him be the test pilot. Don't try it and get hurt!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back