VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the rotella T synth. Wondering if I should use the 15w 40 now.

You bought the 5W40 right?

It's all good! That's what I use.

Hey G, remember that the 5 is the cold viscosity number and the 40 is the hot. You would be more than fine with the 5 even in the summer there.

Chris

just switched to yamaha lube 10-40 for the late fall here/early spring. bike seems to like it a lot better on the 30 degree mornings.

Hey G, remember that the 5 is the cold viscosity number and the 40 is the hot. You would be more than fine with the 5 even in the summer there.

Chris

Really? I thought the 5 would be a little thin on those warm mornings?

Also, when it gets down to the mid/high 40s in the winter, do you think I'd be better off running 5W40 rather than 15W40?

We get 100 degree days here in the summer... ALL my cars run 5W30 so I run the 5W40 without an issue in the Max and my SV.

I like a thinner oil at start up. Pumps quicker IMO.

Chris

But how cold does it get for you in the winter, and do you ride at all when it's cold?

That's really when the thin oil is needed, right?

It is and HELL NO! I put it away a month ago! I am a hobby rider. My cars have heated seats and heaters in them... I ride when it's nice. lol

Anytime you start an engine after sitting it runs dry for a little bit. With the thicker oil it runs dry longer than with the thinner oil.

Chris

But how cold does it get for you in the winter, and do you ride at all when it's cold?

That's really when the thin oil is needed, right?

Hey Naughty
I ride year around. I know in So Cal that is not saying much but in the morning it is cold, 40s sometimes high 30s. I use the 5w-40 for the winter and the bike likes it much better.
Cheers

What type of motor oil is everyone using?

I'm using Castrol 4T 10w40 on a 96 with about 15,000 miles. Anyone using this and any complaints? Any suggestions for something better?

whats the best oil for a vamx?

just wondering what the best oil is is sythetic or another kind?

To summarize the thread.....

1. Use whatever you want so long as it's not "high mileage" or "energy conserving". Those oils will result in clutch slippage.
2. There is no proof of any appreciable difference between "automotive" and "motorcycle" branded oils
3. Experienced racers report that under racing conditions, conventional oils offer better clutch life than synthetics. For regular riding, either is fine.
4. Yamaha designed the engine, and all they recommend is a good quality 10-40.

Everybody has a preference or feels that one brand runs cooler or shifts smoother than another. You can ask 10 people what oil is best and get 11 different answers....

Back