Silver Lake Dunes, MI

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneksoldier

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we have quite a few MI resident Maxers here, so I thought I would see what people think about the place. Anybody ever go there? Just trying to get some more info. My wife and in-laws are all from the Ludington area and we are planning a trip up in August and dragging all the toys along.

been there often, when you going? you will need a MI ORV and orange flags for your toys as with anything they have dumbed down the fun for all the amatures that have killed and injured themselves over the years and don't even think about getting close to the water with your vehicle BIG no no you can walk to the water, if you have never seen Lake Michigan in person it's awesome all in all it's still fun I would do it you might get bored if you spend too many days in a row there they have closed down some of the area for ORV's over the years, try to go during the week weekends get pretty hectic and they only let so many ppl on the dunes at a time so get in line early or you could be waiting for ppl to come off the dunes before you get on

Looks like we will be going sometime between Aug 19th and Sep 1st. Planning to spend 2-3 days on the dunes. Probably be in the area for a week or so. I noticed that it is a pretty structured environment with lots of rules. Not sure how much I like that, but I'm not doing it for me. It's something she really wants to do. After reading their website, I'm considering looking for other locations, maybe less popular places that are not so heavily regulated. If such a place even exists.

I have been up on the lake many times, just never out to the ohv areas. It is quite a sight to see. My wife's grandpa was an engineer on some of the cargo and ferry ships on the lakes. He got us a ride on the Badger a few years back. Pretty cool boat! I think it's the last steamer still running the lakes. We rode to WI side and back. I really like the area. If it wasn't so frigging cold most of the year, I would move there!

I work for the railroad that owned the Badger and am planning to ride the Max up to Ludington to go across the lake on the Badger and ride around Wisconsin soon, so that's cool I've been here 21 years when did her Grampa retire? There's pretty extensive trail system around Baldwin area maybe split your time between Silver Lake and Baldwin I've ridden my snowmobiles and dirt bikes around Baldwin for years great fun you could ride around Baldwin's trails for years and never get bored. I would still go to Silver Lake it is fun just don't know how long I would stay there it's pricey and kinda a tourist trap these days.

He retired back in the late 70's or early 80's. He's about 85 years old now. Constantly telling stories about the boats. And for good reason. I bet it was a blast. I'll have to look into the trails around Baldwin. I like trails better than dunes any day. We don't have to be in a huge hurry, so I think we will be able to go to multiple places.

You need to slip one of the Maxes in with the toys!.....:biglaugh:......We could meet up and hit M22...........:punk:...........Tom.

You need to slip one of the Maxes in with the toys!.....:biglaugh:......We could meet up and hit M22...........:punk:...........Tom.

I just looked up the highway. I bet that is a hell of a ride! I'm trying to get out of taking my Ranger pickup with us because it will have to be trailered leaving no room for the VMax. Now, I'm really trying not to take that truck! It is a fun toy, though. More to follow on that as plans develop. Thanks for the invite too! Here's a pic of my little ranger truck: Solid axle swapped, D44/F9, 12" lifted on 35's and 4.88 gears.

Attachments

• IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2012-09-21 12.40.58.jpg
    2012-09-21 12.40.58.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 24
I just looked up the highway. I bet that is a hell of a ride! I'm trying to get out of taking my Ranger pickup with us because it will have to be trailered leaving no room for the VMax. Now, I'm really trying not to take that truck! It is a fun toy, though. More to follow on that as plans develop. Thanks for the invite too! Here's a pic of my little ranger truck: Solid axle swapped, D44/F9, 12" lifted on 35's and 4.88 gears.
nice looking truck :punk:

Looks like it's set up for extreme off road/rock crawling, what drive train ya runnin?.....................Tom.

The motor is still the stock 4.0 V6 with some bolt-on mods. Cold air, aftermarket TB and MAF sensor (supposed to be better flow, but I think I got ripped off) headers, custom X-pipe exhaust, and EGR deleted.

Trans is a factory 5R55E 5-speed auto. I put in a shift kit and upgraded the pump and torque converter to heavy duty. It works really well! Probably the best money I spent.

Transfer case is still the stock electric shift Borghese Warner unit. Haven't had any trouble with it, so it stays for now.

Custom tuning from SCT and Explorer Express makes it run without missing a beat. I will be keeping this setup until the motor or trans craps out, then it will put in the Explorer 5.0 V8.

The front axle is a Dana 44 from an unknown donor. Limited slip diff and 4.88 gears. It has the unit hubs on it, so it's not the best option, but it has worked fine for the last 8 years or so. Flexy Jeep Wagoneer leaf springs and long travel Bilstein 5100's hold the front end up. A Toyota steering gearbox and custom tube/heim steering links in the usual crossover configuration for the steering.

The rear axle is a 9" also from an early Bronco with matching 4.88 gears and Detroit locker. I grafted in some taller and longer 63" springs from a Chevy Truck to get the lift and flex I wanted. I still had to use the factory 2" lift blocks to level it out. Long travel Bilsteins out back as well.

I can say with much pride that I have owned this truck since new and have about 180k very hard miles on it and NOBODY but me has ever touched a tool to it or struck an arc on it.

The motor is still the stock 4.0 V6 with some bolt-on mods. Cold air, aftermarket TB and MAF sensor (supposed to be better flow, but I think I got ripped off) headers, custom X-pipe exhaust, and EGR deleted.

Trans is a factory 5R55E 5-speed auto. I put in a shift kit and upgraded the pump and torque converter to heavy duty. It works really well! Probably the best money I spent.

Transfer case is still the stock electric shift Borghese Warner unit. Haven't had any trouble with it, so it stays for now.

Custom tuning from SCT and Explorer Express makes it run without missing a beat. I will be keeping this setup until the motor or trans craps out, then it will put in the Explorer 5.0 V8.

The front axle is a Dana 44 from an unknown donor. Limited slip diff and 4.88 gears. It has the unit hubs on it, so it's not the best option, but it has worked fine for the last 8 years or so. Flexy Jeep Wagoneer leaf springs and long travel Bilstein 5100's hold the front end up. A Toyota steering gearbox and custom tube/heim steering links in the usual crossover configuration for the steering.

The rear axle is a 9" also from an early Bronco with matching 4.88 gears and Detroit locker. I grafted in some taller and longer 63" springs from a Chevy Truck to get the lift and flex I wanted. I still had to use the factory 2" lift blocks to level it out. Long travel Bilsteins out back as well.

I can say with much pride that I have owned this truck since new and have about 180k very hard miles on it and NOBODY but me has ever touched a tool to it or struck an arc on it.

Very nice, the live axle makes it a virtually perfect little truck for getting tossed around offroad. Nice work.

Looks like we are going to be heading up on Saturday the 20th. Finally got the wife talked into leaving the truck so I can take the Vmax. Pretty excited about that. I'm going to try to go to the dunes at least one day but I won't be upset if I don't get to go. I think we will hit the trails around Baldwin some and my in-laws are going to show us some places. If anyone in the area wants to meet up, we will be around until the 30th.

Looks like we are going to be heading up on Saturday the 20th. Finally got the wife talked into leaving the truck so I can take the Vmax. Pretty excited about that. I'm going to try to go to the dunes at least one day but I won't be upset if I don't get to go. I think we will hit the trails around Baldwin some and my in-laws are going to show us some places. If anyone in the area wants to meet up, we will be around until the 30th.

I have Wednesday Thursday days off i'll have to see if I can make the trip up, maybe we can make it a V-Max day as I don't have anything that goes on the dirt at this time. I'll PM you when it gets closer. :punk:

Talk about 10lbs of taters in a 5lb sack! This is how you fit 11ft10in of quads on a 10ft trailer. Notice the screen name? Lol! Anyway, the Yamaharmada is mobilized and en route tomorrow. SP 0500

Attachments

• 20160819_125529.jpg
    20160819_125529.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 11
Looks like we will be meeting up on Wed the 24th, look foreward to meeting/riding with ya!...............:punk:.............Tom.

In Kalamazoo/Battle Creek for the weekend, but have to head home to FL today.

Latest posts

Back