Wins 10 advantages/disadvantages

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new laptop for work. Everything comes with windows 10 installed, which i can DOWNGRADE to windows 7 professional. I know that there are issues with upgrading to windows 10, but what are the issues with starting out with windows 10?

Thanks
Eric

Purchase a Macintosh, install Parallels software and create 2 virtual machines. One with Windows 10 and one with Windows 7. I've also Windows XP and Windows 8 for giggles

Make the switch and let me welcome you to the wonderful world of Linux. The land of open source and freeware awaits!

The big problem I have with Win10 and Microsoft is how they are shoving it down everyone's throat and embedding the thing with spyware. Every keystroke, everything you do, even audio is available to MS in their "telemetry data." They are late to the data mining game, but they are making up for it quickly by stripping away every bit of privacy.

An easy switch for regular users would be to grab LinuxMint with the Cinnamon desktop. It is extremely intuitive for former Windows users and rock solid stable. The latest LTS (long term service) edition came out last month and is back ended by Ubuntu 16.04. You really cannot go wrong. Viruses and malware are practically non existent and it would be difficult for you to pick up one on accident. It supports all the latest hardware and has a 5 year guaranteed support life all for the amazing price of $0.00.

One of us, one of us... :punk:

The main problem with Windows 10 is that it has so many backdoors and things that "spy" on you built in. There are tools available for free that disable them, so it's not a huge deal. Going Linux isn't a bad idea, it is extremely Windows-esque now, and there is a lot of (free) software to go along with the (free) operating system.

You can even setup a dual boot system so you can choose which one to use - Windoze or Linux. ;)

never understand that linux thing...not a cpu guy,how can i change,common windows programs still work?
i am affraid of all the install this and that thing...

Don't plan on running Windows Programs on Linux. There are usually programs made for Linux that are extremely similar to Windows programs. If you have an old computer, try running it on there to see if you like it. You can even run virtualization software within Windows and try it out that way. (Such as Oracle VM VirtualBox)

It installs the same way that windows does. You download an .iso file, burn it to CD or DVD, then boot from it. Many distributions let you run the OS from the CD / DVD to see if you like it, but it will be a lot slower that way. Still, it's a way to check it out and not make any changes to your PC. You are given options to choose from when booting. Run Live version, Install, etc.

If you are serious about checking it out, google some options. I like LXLE for old hardware - it's a lightweight distribution that is not power hungry like some of the more bloated distributions.

Check out http://distrowatch.com/ to get an idea of what is available.

Here is a review of the new Mint distribution: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20160711#mint

Here is LXLE: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lxle

I've upgraded my personal laptop from windows 7 to 10 and all went well. I have a vmware server that I virtualized 3 windows 7 workstations and upgraded them to windows 10 for free. I do not have any issues with windows 10 at all. Its all your preference!

I had windows 7 on my machine for years(since xp). Not a single crash. Windows 10 crashes every other week. No rhyme or reason. Just bsod with no warning. Its terrible. I would go back to 7 if i could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the reason why I am asking, is that its time to get a new laptop that will be primarily for work, but will still be mine to do with as I please. My current laptop was nothing special, and is now 6 years old.....and definately telling its age. 1.9 GB ram.....etc. Last night was having some issues, so I just rebooted, and as it powers back up, a screeen that I'd never seen before, tells me that the computer is "no longer in a committed state". My first thought was WTF.....your not my Xwife....WTF do you mean your not committed. I had to look it up.

So when it reboots, the SKU# etc, are no longer there, plus other information. I'm also looking at replacing/upgrading several of the USB ports.....so it might be time for a new computer.

If you are used to Win 7, then Google the laptop model you want to purchase and Make sure there are Win 7 drivers available for it.
I recently downgraded a Dell laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 7 for a family member and it took me 5-6 hours to find all the necessary drivers needed to do it.
Manufacturers for whatever reason don't want to make it easy to downgrade to Win 7 from Win 8, 8.1 or 10.
I have nothing against Linux (or Unix for that matter) BUT most casual users will find those OS's a bit daunting if they are used to running Windows.

I have had W10 for about a year now, upgraded from W7 which was achieved without any issues.

For a new purchase it will run fine.

In terms of usage the main difference that I've noticed is quicker boot time and....not a lot else. It may perform tasks a few milliseconds quicker but my old brain don't notice. Bottom line is it works well and doesn't crash; I'm happy with it.

It can be a bit frustrating at first locating the things you knew where to find in W7 which are in a different place in W10. Unless you are a dedicated tinkerer in the OS that probably won't be much of an issue though.

As for embedded spyware and/ or data mining then much of it you can turn off or if your paranoia is so great, as previously suggested, install programmes to control it. That said, if letting MS have limited access as to how the PC is used gives us a better OS and reduces bugs then that seems like a good idea to me.

As you are going to use it mainly for business then as the majority of the rest of the world uses Windows programmes as well why would you choose an OS whose programmes don't or only partially interact with the folk you deal with?
Whilst these other programmes perform similar there will be differences that you will need to learn.

If you look around the internet you don't see lots of post saying how rubbish W10 is (unless you are a Mac or Linux user :icon_rolleyes::biglaugh:) which is more than can be said for W8.

Guess you are a special instance. Most likely a driver issue. I have 4 windows 10 systems and not a single glitch this year. I'm in the process of building a windows 2012R2 server also all virtualized in VMware.

I have also run Fedora dual boot with windows and that seems to run pretty well.

I had windows 7 on my machine for years(since xp). Not a single crash. Windows 10 crashes every other week. No rhyme or reason. Just bsod with no warning. Its terrible. I would go back to 7 if i could.

Probably a driver issue from the os side. I have three monitors in surround with two video cards in sli. But this same hardware ran win7 with no problem.

I'm in the tech field and can honestly say that all this silly-con shit saps the lifeblood out of me. HATE IT! Wish I was wrenching for a living. Anyhow, I digress. It pays the bills.
Wouldn't it be nice though IF we wouldn't say stuff about computers like, "Oh, it's 6 years old and it's long in the tooth now" or crap like that. Isn't it great to say stuff like, "OH! My 30 year old '86 Max is a lot like your '06 and we still share the parts! Excellent!" That's F&#%ing COOL no?

FYI, Macintosh platform OS X is Unix based and there is some "viruses" for the OS but few and far between. I've not used virus protection since moving from the OS 9 days (circa. 1997ish).
Jobs had the idea when he based NEXT on UNIX, and Apple saw the future when it bought NEXT.

Oh the joys of MAC...I think each and every OS has its quirks in general. I have MAC OSX and keychains alone are annoying. Its true the MAC doesnt get attacked like its rival Windows.

I'm in the tech field and can honestly say that all this silly-con shit saps the lifeblood out of me. HATE IT! Wish I was wrenching for a living. Anyhow, I digress. It pays the bills.
Wouldn't it be nice though IF we wouldn't say stuff about computers like, "Oh, it's 6 years old and it's long in the tooth now" or crap like that. Isn't it great to say stuff like, "OH! My 30 year old '86 Max is a lot like your '06 and we still share the parts! Excellent!" That's F&#%ing COOL no?

Oh I get it. My first thought was to just get it fixed, because it still works well enough for work, but then my thought was, it will still be just a bit under powered though, and I still need to get the usb ports tightened up, and possibly upgraded to 3.0 in the process....

My desktop will still run rings around this thing...:bang head:

Well the reason why I am asking, is that its time to get a new laptop that will be primarily for work, but will still be mine to do with as I please. My current laptop was nothing special, and is now 6 years old.....and definately telling its age. 1.9 GB ram.....etc. Last night was having some issues, so I just rebooted, and as it powers back up, a screeen that I'd never seen before, tells me that the computer is "no longer in a committed state". My first thought was WTF.....your not my Xwife....WTF do you mean your not committed. I had to look it up.

So when it reboots, the SKU# etc, are no longer there, plus other information. I'm also looking at replacing/upgrading several of the USB ports.....so it might be time for a new computer.
You can definitely run Linux on a 6 year old laptop. As I said earlier, I like LXLE.

I was given an old Dell Laptop that had Windows Vista on it. I upgraded the RAM from 2 to 4GB for a little over $20 and I loaded LXLE. It runs great! Here is where I got the RAM: http://www.4alldeals.com You can email them to get the correct part number(s) and price for your application. [email protected]

Back