Wins 10 advantages/disadvantages

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the Windows 10 Insiders Preview - Fast Ring. I had it uncrippled on a mule machine with full communication to Microsoft. None of the info provided was real, all web aliases and no personally identifiable information. I removed it and installed the current public release without a Microsoft account, but spent some time adding in third party software to nuke the tracking and reporting, fix the start menu, and get rid of the Edge browser plus strip out all the Microsoft app store junk. To me it looks like a dumbed down down version of Win 7 with a lot of stuff hidden. I run Win 7 for my main PC and will continue to do so.

Since you have the option to downgrade to Win 7, I recommend that and try out Win 10 on a secondary machine.

If you keep Win 10 on your laptop, I recommend:

Classic Shell (freeware)

"Disable Windows 10 Tracking" application (freeware)

Unlocker (freeware)

CCleaner (freeware)

VLC Player (freeware) since Win 10 didn't come with a DVD player (there is a bare bones one now...)

Revo Unistaller

SRW Iron or Opera browser (freeware) SRW Iron is Chrome with the tracking and privacy stuff removed.

"Everything" search engine (freeware) Instant searches

Opt out of the "easy activation" and use a local account.

As to what is wrong with Win 10, here is one of many articles on why not to use Windows 10:

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html#Windows10

I run Windows 10 on a couple of laptops. I find it to be faster than Windows 7, and equally stable. I've heard that upgrading from Windows 7 can cause stability issues.

I have one system remaining with Win 7 - it's getting upgraded before the end of the month in order to get the free upgrade.

Win10 works good, but it is a fuckin OS for newbees, if you want to keep some control over the OS, keep 7 or 8.1 ;)
I must disagree. Windows 10 uses Powershell 5.x which is much more powerful than 4.x. Win 8.1 can be upgraded to use it, but I don't believe Windows 7 can. (I may be mistaken about this, however.)

Microsoft cleaned up the code dramatically, allowing Windows 10 to run on less powerful PCs than Win 7 or 8.1.

The one MAJOR issue is all of the spying. That can be corrected, however.

Spies can be blocked
No way to manage updates, so for me that means no control.
The last update of the WIFI card make it inoperant with my netbox..

I remember win7 2 or 3 updates that totally fucked up my PC, since many years i choose manually all the updates. Not possible with this new OS...

Tex, Good news on the Windows 7 front!

What flavor of Linux are you using? I tinkered with Kubuntu and Mint on CD, but haven't done a full install to the drive. (mostly for repairing Windows)

Tex, Good news on the Windows 7 front!

What flavor of Linux are you using? I tinkered with Kubuntu and Mint on CD, but haven't done a full install to the drive. (mostly for repairing Windows)

Depends on the purpose of the machine. For personal desktop use Mint is a dream come true and the new version 18 did not miss the mark. A couple 100 servers on Ubuntu 14.04, a few dozen on CentOS, a couple proprietary things on Suse believe it or not, and about 100 Ubuntu 14.04 desktops that are slated for 16.04 by this time next year. I always have a new distro or two that I play with on the side just to keep abreast of changes but what I have listed are my core.

If you are looking at a full time swap to Linux I think Mint is your best bet. Interface wise with Cinnamon it is really a think of beauty. Alot of Linux old timers like to hold on to older interfaces (well at least older looking) because that is what they are accustomed to. Personally I like the nicer interface for my daily driver. After all I spend 8+ hours a day looking at it. Short of gaming there is nothing you cannot do on Linux and even that is changing. Well I guess you will have to forgo the blue screen of death as well.

If you make the swap and ever need help, just ask! Those who embrace FOSS are a very helpful bunch, myself included.

Just wait for roll up patches to hit, no more avoiding telemetry nonsense updates.

Latest posts

Back