test ride 2016 ducati diavel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
I was in the big city over the week end looking at all the bike shops. I was kinda board of most of the motorcycles lately & looking for something new and different. I seen a 2016 Ducati Diavel 1200 at one shop. I liked the look of it ...The sign on the seat said "please sit on me " so I did. I liked it ! It felt so right. Great seating position for an older Fart like me. Good balance & not heavy feeling. The sales man asked if I wanted to try it out........."I started to wiggle & grin inside". I suppose I could, I very calmly replied. He put a dealer plate on, then started to show me all the features of the bike. It had different power & driving modes. I can say it handle very nice. Way nicer than my max. very nimble & very torky . I was amazed how low the red line was...5,000rpm. The price was $21,000 + tax. OUCH. I took it on the freeway and zoomed up to 190kms. The bike is Very stable at high speeds & very predictable. You could sustain warp speeds easily on this bike. I would have loved to run my max against it. I think it would have been pretty close. The Ducati is a fast bike and lightening fast out of the hole,...but I thought it would have been faster than it was. kinda a poor review sorry.

They have 160 hp so they are very fast. If the red line was 5k, then you were in some sort of demo/valet/reduced power mode.

https://www.bikedekho.com/ducati/diavel/specifications

Testastretta 11° L-Twin, 4 Desmodromically Actuated Valves Per Cylinder, Liquid Cooled

Displacement

1198.4 cc

Mileage

10 Kmpl

Highway Mileage

-

Bore

106 mm

Stroke

67.9 mm

Compression Ratio

12.5:1

Maximum Power

159.6 bhp @ 9250 rpm

Maximum Torque

130.5 Nm @ 8000 rpm

Supply System

Fuel Injection

Just to clarify, that 11 degrees refers to the overlap when all four valves are open. It is still a classic 90 degree v-twin.

It would also be noteworthy to mention that 160hp at 5000rpm is not the same animal that 160hp is at 9000+ is. Although I'm sure that 160 doesnt come in until close to redline. It sounds like the only wanted you to flick the bean a little bit.

Perhaps it was in rain riding mode or something?

It would also be noteworthy to mention that 160hp at 5000rpm is not the same animal that 160hp is at 9000+ is. Although I'm sure that 160 doesnt come in until close to redline. It sounds like the only wanted you to flick the bean a little bit.

Perhaps it was in rain riding mode or something?

I'm not sure what ridding mode he had it set in.....probably the slowest one for a test ride. I didn't try any of the modes,...was just enjoying the warm sunny ride. It was impressive. I was back at the dealer this weekend and he tried Sooo hard to send it home with me,....he even dropped the price by $1800 ! Fall is setting in fast here, and he was really trying to move his bike line up. I was really tempted & my thought process was defiantly impaired....I want , I want, I want. Then the wife & reality took over, LOL.

Redline for the Diavel is 10,800 RPM per the owner's manual.
Max power as Fire-medic pointed out is 9,250 RPM.

Latest posts

Back