The Pit Stop General chit chat

Re: Sub-4K bikes?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:35 PM

My VMax: 93 purple
My other bikes: 02 EXC 400, SXF 450
Default Re: Sub-4K bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz83 View Post
After riding my gen 2, yes it was. I was asking $3,500. The guy showed up with $3,000 cash. First person to actually want to look at the bike, and ask questions without trying to talk me down over the phone, or threw text, or e mail. It's hard to not think that because it's the legendary v-max, that's it's worth $5,000 to $6,000. My brother in law has a 93 mustang fast back. But because it's got 525hp engine he thinks it's worth $10,000. I'm sorry but you could put a Lamborghini engine in a vw bug, and it's still a vw bug worth $3,000. Pull the engine and sell it separate if you want your investment back. Maybe I'm too honest, I sold the bike for what I felt it was worth without being unrealistic.
Very true! I love my max (93 w/10600mi) and I took a chance buying it as it was smoking BAD. It had been sitting for at least a year. It is/was beautiful garage kept bike. Damn near no pitting. The only spots are on the wheels. Completely stock.
I paid 2400 for it (asking price 3500) Hoping it was only the valve seals. Well I got lucky. When I got home I started it up to put it in the garage and it barely smoked. 3mi later, none!
Anyway, I go back and forth puting slip on's on it as it won't make it any faster and to ME, not worth puting a full exhaust either. It won't warrant the cost.
I feel that when/IF I'm ready to accelerate faster then my street car, I'd rather use the money towards a Gen2.
Nothing I do to mine will do that.
Until then, I'll keep enjoying mine.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:20 AM

My VMax: 2018 matte Raven black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93max View Post
Very true! I love my max (93 w/10600mi) and I took a chance buying it as it was smoking BAD. It had been sitting for at least a year. It is/was beautiful garage kept bike. Damn near no pitting. The only spots are on the wheels. Completely stock.
I paid 2400 for it (asking price 3500) Hoping it was only the valve seals. Well I got lucky. When I got home I started it up to put it in the garage and it barely smoked. 3mi later, none!
Anyway, I go back and forth puting slip on's on it as it won't make it any faster and to ME, not worth puting a full exhaust either. It won't warrant the cost.
I feel that when/IF I'm ready to accelerate faster then my street car, I'd rather use the money towards a Gen2.
Nothing I do to mine will do that.
Until then, I'll keep enjoying mine.
Thats one of many reasons I got my gen 2, without going with a big bore and supercharger to make the gen 1 faster, plus the suspension mods, and brake upgrades hard to justify that kind of money when I could have all that on a stock gen 2. Plus fuel injection, abs, fully adjustable suspension front and rear 6 pot calipers, its got plenty of go with room for mods to make it faster, handling is great I think, for a big brawny bike of this caliber. I had a 78 goldwing kind of the muscle bike of that time period, in 75 when Honda released the goldwing only the kawi z1 was faster but not by much. It handled ok compared to my gen 2, but i would drag the pegs all day on that thing.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM

My VMax: none
My other bikes: '16 Scout, '16 Beta 300
Awards Showcase
Hello there, Officer..! Award of Posting Excellence (APE) 
Total Awards: 2

3-4k is a good price for a clean runner with no substantial issues. As you get back to the mid 90's, get into higher miles, and condition degrades, that sags more into the 2k range or less. I've seen non-runners out of storage come up in the 15-1800 range and I imagine they actually sold for a fair bit less. $3k should be able to get you a pretty decent example.

my '97 (clean, no issues) sold in 2012 for $3000 with about 50k miles on it.

There's been a cherry, bone stock, 07 with like 6k miles on the local CL for months at $5500- obviously not selling.

As cool as the Vmax is, it's not a particularly rare or collectible bike. Yamaha made a LOT of these things for 22 years, so they just don't command the premium attached to rarer items. Nostalgia and emotional value very seldom translate into dollar values at resale time.

VMF Roadside Assistance
P- Bike Pickup (truck w/ramp)
T- Tools
W- Workspace
G- Local Guide
R- Ride Partner