Stepping away from the bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am going to step away from the bikes a little bit & mess with 4 wheels. I have wanted another Chevy Luv for years & some very good Vmax brothers made it happen for the me .

I brought home this 72 Luv today already set up for a small block. It has a narrowed 12 Bolt posi with ladder bars, all the v8 mounts, headers radiator & all. I just need to find a motor. The body is solid no rust holes which is rare for a Luv. It will be a fun toy

Attachments

• 72 Chevy luv & FXR 039.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 039.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 72 Chevy luv & FXR 038.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 038.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 72 Chevy luv & FXR 027.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 027.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 72 Chevy luv & FXR 028.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 028.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 73
  • 72 Chevy luv & FXR 029.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 029.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 71
  • 72 Chevy luv & FXR 033.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 033.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 72
  • 72 Chevy luv & FXR 034.jpg
    72 Chevy luv & FXR 034.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 69
Are you gonna remove the body and take a good look at the frame, for the prior structural mods? And to give it a good painting and once-over? I know you like the LUV trucks. One of the shop mechanics at the Chevy/GMC dealer in Ft. Lauderdale has a Mazda truck from the early 1970's and it's got a rotary engine in it, I recall seeing it back then after it was built, and it's been on the road ever since.

I'm guessing you are gonna do a easy engine swap and keep it driveable rather than some finicky double-pumper carb w/high compression. Auto tranny or a stick? Autos are usually quicker aren't they?

Is the wheel bolt pattern the same front & rear w/the swapped rear end? I didn't take a good look at the pics, is it already discs in the front for brakes?

Are you gonna remove the body and take a good look at the frame, for the prior structural mods? And to give it a good painting and once-over? I know you like the LUV trucks. One of the shop mechanics at the Chevy/GMC dealer in Ft. Lauderdale has a Mazda truck from the early 1970's and it's got a rotary engine in it, I recall seeing it back then after it was built, and it's been on the road ever since.

I'm guessing you are gonna do a easy engine swap and keep it driveable rather than some finicky double-pumper carb w/high compression. Auto tranny or a stick? Autos are usually quicker aren't they?

Is the wheel bolt pattern the same front & rear w/the swapped rear end? I didn't take a good look at the pics, is it already discs in the front for brakes?

My buddy & I crawled around under it looking pretty good before I bought it and everything looks solid. I will be pulling the bed so I can paint the back of the cab & front of the bed & will look even closer at the frame & paint it while the bed is off.

I am going to do an easy engine swap for the time being. I am just going to try & find a decent running 350 & turbo 350 for the time being & put it in their so I can at least drive it & build a good motor a little at a time. It was a just taken off the road recently the guy I bought it from bought it for the motor & trans he did not like trucks but this thing had a nice engine he put in hi Malibu.

It does not have the same lug pattern it is still 6 lug in the front . I can send the rotors out & have them plugged & redrilled. I have some bikes I do have to finish before I can really get into this thing & I will always have bikes her e to work on but going to try & keep the bike projects down a little so I can spend some time on this thing.

Projects:ummm::confused2::bang head:
Good Luck Bro... I have too many now....

Made a little progress today cleaning and painting.

Attachments

• 20170223_164439.jpg
    20170223_164439.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170223_164431.jpg
    20170223_164431.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20170223_164422.jpg
    20170223_164422.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170223_164633.jpg
    20170223_164633.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 25
The title of this thread scared me a little. I thought it would be a more permanent description, but I'm very glad I was wrong. Bikes are in our blood, and it seems we only depart if we are involved - or know someone close that was involved in a traumatic bike crash.

The project looks very cool. I know that sense of accomplishment when it's done, you fire it up, check timing and leaks, and hit the road to break it in!

Here's my old V8 Astro Van project:
http://v8astro.homestead.com

SUPER COOL!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Astro. I had a 91 with the stock 262. Added those throttle body spacers, and swapped the rear and drum to drum - she was faster off the line than a super charged Studebaker Avanti that I raced. Haha, mine was RWD...and I had to have my friends stand in the back on the rear axle and jump up and down do get up the icy road to our local ski hill once though! Loved that van! I always thought about doing the 350 conversion because tons of guys were doing on the s-10s at the time.

The title of this thread scared me a little. I thought it would be a more permanent description, but I'm very glad I was wrong. Bikes are in our blood, and it seems we only depart if we are involved - or know someone close that was involved in a traumatic bike crash.

The project looks very cool. I know that sense of accomplishment when it's done, you fire it up, check timing and leaks, and hit the road to break it in!

Astro looked like a cool project.

Well it is sitting in there whoever done the conversion moved the motor back a good 3 inches. I guess it will help with weight transfer.

Attachments

• Luv truck & mic pictures 113.jpg
    Luv truck & mic pictures 113.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 14
  • Luv truck & mic pictures 114.jpg
    Luv truck & mic pictures 114.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 16
Back