Failed idle mixture screw?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogvmax

Reaction score
Hello.
I am new at this forum and I am from Norway driving a 2002 Vmax PC.
I have a small problems and I can´t get any further adjusting the carbs before problem is solved.
3 of the idle mixture screws seem to function as designed. As I turn them in one at a time the idle get bad. So I turn 2.5 times out after hitting the bottom and the idle is fine. Problem is that one of the four screws (carb front left side) dos not give any changes in idle when I adjust inn and out. Not at 4-5 times out either. I have had it out for inspection and it looks ok. The reason I want to make sure this settings is ok: When cruising at different speed rpm 2500-5000 and give just a little throttle there is some hesitation in the engine (puffering). So before syncing the carbs I have to fix this problem with one of the idle mixture screws.
Dos anybody have any suggestion of what I should do.

I also have problems with charging at mid to high temp but that I will take a look at after the carb fix.

Roger

Pilot jets are prone to clogging and I don't think I've ever seen 4 clean ones from a used carb rack. An out of sync issue also can affect A/F screw sensitivity.

Thank you sdt354. I have bought the carbtune pro and synced the carbs. Idle is very god right now but the idle mixture screw is still not working. Also did a simple carb rinse thru aj1 and aj2. Did not help. Next step will be pulling the carbs and a total cleaning. Maybe in an ultrasonic bath.
Is it possible to only pull the one carb out of the bike or do I have to pull the complete rack?

Thank you sdt354. I have bought the carbtune pro and synced the carbs. Idle is very god right now but the idle mixture screw is still not working. Also did a simple carb rinse thru aj1 and aj2. Did not help. Next step will be pulling the carbs and a total cleaning. Maybe in an ultrasonic bath.
Is it possible to only pull the one carb out of the bike or do I have to pull the complete rack?

Did ya do the peashooter and shotgun yet?

The complete rack is easiest. It would be about impossible to remove one on the bike. And cleaning all 4 is a good idea. Sending them out to Dannymax is an even better idea. They'll come back ready to run.
Steve-o

Could be a small crack on your diaphram cover causing an air leak. I had a similar problem on my #3 cylinder carb. Switching to a good cover took care of the problem for me. You could try switching the diaphram cover from the offending carb to one thats working correctly to see if the problem follows. If so, you found the answer, if not, its something quick and easy that can be checked off the list of possibilities.

Did ya do the peashooter and shotgun yet?
Sorry for my late update.
I have done some shotgun but I do not have any air compressor right now. I have lent it out to a friend. I had to use a can of compressed air and that dos not give much pressure.Did not fix the problem. I will try again when the air compressor is in my garage again. What should the pressure be set to when I am doing this shotgun?

Could be a small crack on your diaphram cover causing an air leak. I had a similar problem on my #3 cylinder carb. Switching to a good cover took care of the problem for me. You could try switching the diaphram cover from the offending carb to one thats working correctly to see if the problem follows. If so, you found the answer, if not, its something quick and easy that can be checked off the list of possibilities.

I will check that out.
Thank you for the tips.

I did check out the cover. I did not find any cracks in It. I changed It with an other cover on the bike anyway. I then noticed that there where a slightly responce when i did some adjustment on the a/f screw. Now i have ride the bike for 3000 miles and It seems That all the a/f screws are responsive for adjustment. I do not know what happend but It seems that all the small things i have tried including a litle more hard riding has contributed to the fix.
Thank you all for the tips.
Regards Roger

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back