Sticking throttle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just overhauled my carbs. Everything was moving freely as it should. The throttle cables move with ease. Now with everything installed the throttle sticks open and won't close without manual assistance. There is a squeaking noise coming from the cable side of the carbs. Could something be in a bind from installing back on the bike or just simply dry linkages? I haven't had a chance to completely troubleshoot it myself and looking for any and all input on this matter. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! I just overhauled my carbs. Everything was moving freely as it should. The throttle cables move with ease. Now with everything installed the throttle sticks open and won't close without manual assistance. There is a squeaking noise coming from the cable side of the carbs. Could something be in a bind from installing back on the bike or just simply dry linkages? I haven't had a chance to completely troubleshoot it myself and looking for any and all input on this matter. Thanks.

You’d have to give it a good look over, but sounds like there is a bind. Maybe where the cable sleeves sit on the carb side: aren’t seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’d have to give it a good look over, but sounds like there is a bind. Maybe where the cable sleeves sit on the carb side: aren’t seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Look at where the cables attach to the carbs. When I attached my carbs the first time after being rebuilt, I had EXACTLY the same symptoms, and it was caused by the cable not being fully seated in the linkage, and it caused a bind.

Look at where the cables attach to the carbs. When I attached my carbs the first time after being rebuilt, I had EXACTLY the same symptoms, and it was caused by the cable not being fully seated in the linkage, and it caused a bind.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it this afternoon. That is definitely where I'll start. Thanks!

The manual has cable routing diagrams.

My advice is DO NOT OPERATE the bike until you fix this! Think-about VBoost being stuck-on! If it happens, hit your kill switch immediately!

If you crush the cable outer jacket, causing a sticking throttle, there's no safe fix, but to replace it! If in doubt, refer to paragraph 2.

It's not the cables. I sprayed some wd on all the linkages and it did get easier to operate the throttle but, it is still sluggish and sticky. I'm gonna tear the carbs back down and see what's going on.

Sent from the open road using Vmax

Make sure the cables aren't too tight. Even with teh same carbs going back on some shifting of the brackets can make them be tight and not want to snap back easily.

Make sure the cables aren't too tight. Even with teh same carbs going back on some shifting of the brackets can make them be tight and not want to snap back easily.
I did notice they where a bit tighter and one the plastic was broke at the inlet tube to the twist throttle. I borrowed one from my older venture. It's much longer than the max's but I got it to loop around the front frame and back where it needs to be. However, it is only a temporary fix and I'm gonna be ordering new cables soon. My temp setup is just so I can tune the carbs and have it all ready.

Sent from the open road using Vmax

Another thing to check is the cable junction box under the LH scoop area, if they are not fitted properly it could be binding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back