Just want to ride.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capymotiv

Reaction score
88 stock, drilled exhaust, new battery.

Went for a ride and all was normal. Got on it to go home and it started sputtering around 4k rpm. New to me, figured I had better change fuel filter (it was very dirty. Replaced and was still missing.
Checked plugs. Both rear coils are not firing. I have 12v coming from both leads to ground at both coils. No voltage across leads.
Anyone every experience this. Do i need an ignition module?

Just for the hell of it, check it again once the bike is fully cooled down.. Maybe check it in the morning.. If you find that it only works when cool, then fail once heated up, you may have a pulser pickup failure. My 91 had this happen out of no where. The 91 has a single pulser pick-up.. I think the 88 has a dual. Mine was running fine, then started sputtering and finally died. No spark from any cylinder. Once it cooled down fully, it would fire back up again.

Finally got around to looking at bike again. Removed 1-3 coil assembly to test, 7-8 ohms primary, 0 ohms secondary on both coils. Anything I should check to prevent burning up a new set?

Received new cop set today. Same problem. 1&3 are still dead. I am assuming it is either pick ups or CDI. Does the dynatek run v-boost? What is a good resource for pick ups?

Ignitek can work a Vboost, and as an added perk you can designate a rev limit among other things, at least the model I have does. Im notfamiliar with Dynatek. If your COPs are resistorless make sure that you end up with a TCI that tolerates that. Ignitek does but there is one out there that wont, I think its a something 3000 going on distant memory. I would call Sean Morley for parts like pickups, he has always done right by me. I would also bet he could tell you right off the top of his head which TCI is right for your setup. I hope you get it sorted soon and get yourself in the wind.

I remember now, it was a Dynatek 3000 that will fry if resistorless COP harnesses are used. Im not sure if they have updated since or not. I was curious so I wandered to their site and selected Vmax and the earliest year I could select was 2009. I looked at the 3000 series and it shows the ability to tweak curves and rev limiters but I didnt see anything on Vboost actuation on their site.

I remember now, it was a Dynatek 3000 that will fry if resistorless COP harnesses are used. Im not sure if they have updated since or not. I was curious so I wandered to their site and selected Vmax and the earliest year I could select was 2009. I looked at the 3000 series and it shows the ability to tweak curves and rev limiters but I didnt see anything on Vboost actuation on their site.

I have the Dyna 3000 and it does not have v-boost control function. I seem to use the rev limiter feature quite often!

Anyone have a good CDI for sale? Kinda scared to get an e-bay one. Thinking about swapping the pick ups off my xvz to the v-max before I throw money at them.

Im working a few more days and xant get email on my phone, may I know the cost of an Ignitek for my 99. It already runs stellar but I suspect its worth it just for reliable/adjustable Vboost control and a rev limiter. Its silly how easy it is to sweep past redline. Shipped price with no extras?

Managed to finally get back to working on bike. Tested the pick ups. As the book says, Check from orange wire to other wires. Lowest reading I get is 99 highest was 123. Seen several post about book being wrong and should check from black wire. On black, I only get 1 wire in range and other 3 are dead. Which is right?

Latest posts

Back