HOW TO: Remove/Inspect/Replace your Starter Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
A common starting problem with the Vmax is a loose or cracked starter clutch. You know this is the problem when you hear a God-awful noise like a bag of gravel spinning around when trying to start (particularly when it is cold). This guide will show you how to remove and inspect the starter clutch to hopefully solve this problem.

First, put down something to absorb oil drips ? I just used some old newspaper. You?ll probably want to drain the oil (though Morley says that it can be done without this so long as you have it leaned over far enough). We?re going to remove both the left side engine side covers, so begin by removing the foot peg (two bolts) and shift lever (small clamp bolt and a circlip (in red)):

picture.php

Now we can remove all the cover bolts. You should probably keep track of them to make sure they make it back into the same hole (some are longer than others). NOTE that the one I?ve marked in Red is an oil drain screw and that you will get oil leaking from it. It also has a small copper washer than should be replaced when you reinstall ( Part # 90430-06014-00).

picture.php

Pull the middle gear cover (on the right) first, and lay it aside. Also remove as much of the black gasket as you can. You will need a new one to reassemble:

picture.php

The flywheel cover is held on magnetically, so you will need a little more force to pull it off. The stator is attached to the cover so it will be attached by wires and won?t be entirely removable. I opened the little clamp holding the wires in place (in Green) and set the cover aside on a little box. There are three small gears with two rods (marked in Red) that may either come with the cover or stay in the block. We will worry about them later, but for now make sure they are all accounted for. Also, expect some more oil leakage. Remove the black gasket as well:

picture.php

Next we remove the flywheel bolt. I believe it is 19mm, and you will need an adjustable wrench or something suitable to hold the shaft while you turn it.

picture.php

The bolt should come out with a thick washer and a pin ? clean them up and set them aside:

picture.php

Now for the TOUGH part. The flywheel needs to be pulled off the shaft and they can require a shit-ton of force. I was able to get mine with a large crows-foot puller (borrowed from AutoZone), but it took a couple hours of fooling around.

picture.php

Alternately, you can use an internal puller using the three bolt holes marked in green:

picture.php

Apparently Jedi (on this forum) has made a puller that works really well:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15907

I had to use a torch to heat the inner flywheel to about 250 degrees, I cranked the puller bolt as hard as I could get it with a pipe extension on my ratchet, and then I smacked the end with a 3-pound hammer. Eventually it popped off. Also see Morley?s reference video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePW96hG2Ojw&feature=player_embedded

A couple of things to expect: 1.) Likely the flywheel will pop off and scare the shit out of you. Have some pads or blankets down in case it falls on the ground; 2.) the ring gear immediately behind the flywheel will probably come with it. If you can, use some zap straps (zip-ties) to attach it before removing; 3.) (VERY IMPORTANT) there is a very tiny half-crescent Woodruff Key in the shaft that you will need to reassemble ? make sure you locate it and put it in a safe place. The starter clutch pins, springs, and rollers may pop out as well. Skip ahead a little for pics of all these parts and make sure you have everything.

If the ring gear is attached you can now remove it. What we?re looking at now are the three bolts holding the starter clutch onto the flywheel.

picture.php

If you were having the symptoms, likely these bolts are loose, or the clutch itself is cracked. Mine were loose so I removed everything to refasten it with new bolts. With everything apart it looks like this (notice that I am missing one of the three cylindrical rollers on the bottom right of the picture ? I later found it in, of all places, the washing machine):

picture.php

Inspect the clutch body REALLY closely for cracks or damage and replace it if you find anything. The last time I did this I had a barely noticeable hairline-crack at the spot I marked here:

picture.php

When you are satisfied that the clutch is good, we can re-assemble everything. Get new high-grade bolts (PART # 91317-08014-00). Put the flat washer on the flywheel first, then place the clutch on. The bolts need to be fastened REALLY securely, or they will loosen again and you?ll have to redo this job. A the very least, use blue loctite and peen the ends of the bolts after they are tight. I used a dab of red loctite as well, and others have gone as far as tack-welding the ends in place (I will do that next time, if there is a next time). You can kinda see the peened end here:

picture.php

Also, look at Morley?s video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOCIYl2pCA&feature=player_embedded

Once you are satisfied that those fuckers aren?t moving again, you can wiggle the springs, pins, and rollers back into place. Some small needle-nose pliers are your friend for this part:

picture.php

With them all in place you can put the ring gear back in. When it?s done right, the gear will turn in one direction but not the other.

picture.php

Putting the ring gear/starter clutch/flywheel assembly back onto the shaft can be a little tricky. First place the small Woodruff key back in the slot

picture.php

When you slide the assembly onto the shaft, there is a groove that needs to line up with the key. Just be careful to line it up right and not to displace the key. With it on, you can reattach it with the flywheel bolt (and its thick washer and pin)

picture.php

Attach the small gears like the picture. Note that the smallest gear has a lip on one side. That lip faces out:

picture.php

Before putting your new gaskets on, be sure that all traces of the old ones are removed. You want bare metal on both the cover and the block where the gasket is going (otherwise be ready for an oil leak).

picture.php

picture.php

Replace the covers, make sure the stator wiring is secure in the clamp, and tighten the bolts to spec with blue loctite. Make sure the drain screw on the middle gear cover gets a new gasket:

picture.php

Replace the shift lever and footpeg. Grab a beer, dude: you?re done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the how to with pics! I just did the shift segment today on my 85 using that how to and no problems at all. Enjoy that brew.

It does look like that doesn't it Naughty? NO - the puller is on the flywheel housing, NOT the ring gear. The gear is set back far enough that I don't think you could get a puller on it anyway.

Good write up for a common problem. :clapping:

I can attest to the extreme importance to clean ALL the black stuff off the covers. Even a teensy bit of old gasket residue is enough to cause a slow, nagging oil drip. Carefully use a razor blade scraper at a very shallow angle to avoid gouging the mating surfaces, and for any stubborn bits I used a scotch-brite pad. It takes a while, but as I've learned, going slow and being meticulous about cleaning EVERY TRACE of crap off ends up saving time later from when you have to pull it all apart again because your Vmax is imitating a Harley.

i also should mention the jaw puller he used is a good one to try. i used the 'next' size up. the arms were about the same size just bigger but the whole unit was for a much bigger sized gear so it made some marks on the back. i would use that kind with the 'longer' arms. i had originally got the same 'size' but with normal sized arms and it was too small.

I still very new to motorcycles and what not so sorry if this is.. for lack of better words a dumb question. I have a hard time knowing where to buy parts and stuff there is a store near my house but i hate the people that work there always trying to sell a whole damn motor bike to me! there dumb and just plan rude alot. so I don't go in there anymore and when I try to look on line i get overwhelmed right away! so many choices and options and sites and what not.. where would a guy get the parts he needs to do this stuff? the bolts, the gasket, ect

The best price I have found is K&N Yamaha in Tulsa. They charge 25% over actual cost for all parts if you are a member here or of VMOA. You can download parts manuals and send them a parts number list and they will send back their price. The contact name is Tyler McDonald. The number is (918) 446-6657. The email is [email protected].

I get all my parts from Sean here on the forum (one2dmax). You might find it a *little* cheaper elsewhere but: A.) Sean puts a lot of time into this forum helping us guys out, B.) He usually has parts stocked and gets them to me within 2 or 3 days, and C.) you wont find a better guy to work with. My 2 cents. I understand entirely about dumbass local guys. Id fly Sean here to lend a hand before Id bring my Mistress to the local dudes.

okay so I got mine ripped apart and my bolts are shot. Only issue I see with the Clutch thing is that it looks like something hooked it and pulled up the metal on the side of it here.
2011-11-22182221.jpg

2011-11-22182204.jpg

2011-11-22182139.jpg

You guys think I can just clean this up or do I need to replace it?

Need to see the other side. that is pulled out like that since it rotated on the inner shell. Look at my hot to videos on youtube/facebook/and here. User one2dmax on youtube or Morleys Muscle on facebook (link in my signature).

Sean

There are no cracks in it that I see. Other side? you mean flip it over and take a pic or pull the brass looking part out of the metal sleeve thing?

No, I meant the side that the brass is visible to inspect for cracks. Look very closely as most of the time the cracks are hard to see but expand when under pressure. If you caught it early enough then a new set of bolts will work just fine.

Sean

The protruding metal can be pushed back into the alignment hole in the brass and should work just fine.

Sean

okay I was under the impression that i was looking for cracks in the brass. just went and messed with it somemore and found that metal ring around the brass thing does have cracks in it. right where I took the pic. so looks like I have to replace it?

Okay so am I right saying that the silver thing doesn't matter if its a bit cracked. The brass part looks fine. so if all is well all I need is gaskets and bolts to get her back together!
2011-12-05185955.jpg

2011-12-05190013.jpg

Latest posts

Back