running hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I had charging issues, and the CDI box was misfiring in heavy traffic due to a weak battery & inadequate real-time charging, my bike would zoom into the red zone every time - even with the aftermarket temp switch turning the fan on earlier. After fixing the charging issues, and installing the larger battery box mod, my bike has never gone near the red zone, regardless of how much fun I'm out having.

The stock fan switch turns on at about 220*. This corresponds to just shy of the red line on the stock gauge. The "dot" is about 180*.

I found with the fan running, the temp would never exceed 200*, even crawling through traffic on the hottest day. Typical cruise on the highway it would hover around 180 on a typical 80* day.

I used 50/50 regular store brand coolant. The cap is the highest point of the system, so the system is really self-bleeding. As the bike warms up and the coolant expands/pressurizes, the air will be the first thing pushed out into the expansion tank, and when the bike cools that space will be replaced by coolant drawn back in.

Back