Brought home a '99 yesterday

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
I picked up my '99 yesterday. $2800 - it needs new fork seals and a battery. Fork Seals are ordered, I'll get the new battery today.

I also own a 1982 Honda Aspencade, and a 2008 Suzuki M109R. I've been riding since 1977 = been down on the street 3 times since then, fortunately nothing major thanks to my gear.

I'm a mod-aholic with my M109R - likely will start on the vmax too! So far it has progressive fork springs, a Corbin seat, aftermarket signals, aftermarket exhaust (if you know what it is please tell me), a Dynojet jet kit, and K&N Air Filter. Also a ground-side shutoff switch for VBoost. There could be more, I just don't know what. A Stebel horn is definitely in it's future, as is a HID headlight.
Here are a couple of photos from when I got it home yesterday:

IMG_08231_zps2644886b.jpg

IMG_08241_zps3608298e.jpg

And here's one of my M109R just for good measure...

DSCF0232ReducedSize.jpg

That exhaust is a UFO Quadzilla - it's stupidly loud, but it hurts performance as it lacks some needed back pressure. A lot of people like it because of its looks, and loudness too. Shame it saps power!

Great buy for the money though, you got yourself a decent bargain! Oh, and welcome to the site, this is THE place for Vmax owners :)

I figured as much on the performance. My choice would be a 4 into 1, but I guess replacing it would mean re-jetting too, so I guess I am stuck with them for now. I would think that lack of backpressure means I'll lose torque (but gain top end)
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be lurking!

Yes, I test rode it before I bought it. It has the high speed wobble, but the front tire is pretty worn. I'm also notr a fan of the Dunlop D403 on the back, but it's brand new. I have read up on the fixes for headshake; lower the forks an inch in the triple clamps, verifying tire pressure, verifying head bearings torque and wear, adjusting suspension, etc. I'll wait until after I get the fork seals in and the new front tire to address that. I'll also remove the wheel weights and install dyna-beads (I swear by them in my M109R.) It appears to have been lowered too - the kickstand is too long and the angle of the pad does not look right, so I may have to shorten it or buy a shortened stand. The clutch does not seem to be great either - just not a crisp 1 - 2 shift, but this is also my 1st hydraulic clutch. If worst comes to worst I'll inspect and possibly rebuild the clutch. I can do this; used to rebuild clutches in my dirt bikes all the time.

Oh, 33,000 miles on the bike. Two previous owners - the original owner was apparently a woman who was fanatical about maintaining it. Second owner said he never even turned on the VBoost so I doubt he beat on it! While I am not planning to "beat on it" I can be certain that the Vboost switch will never be in the off position!

The second owner says he changed the oil every 2,000 miles with no exceptions. Sadly he used Castrol GTX - I'll be changing to a synthetic diesel oil next change. (I wonder if GTX has Friction modifiers in it - might explain the clutch feeling like it slips a little...)

They look more like cobra slip on mufflers.....but yes you will love a four into one's sound and power more.

Nice looking bike ,congrats and welcome

That exhaust is NOT a quadzilla. It's simply Cobra slipons and one of the worst for power. The UFO's don't hurt the power but they are LOUD.

We can help with many of the upgrades you're wanting from exhaust to wheels and everything in between.

Nothing wrong with GTX oil. The clutch will also have to work harder if you put in a full synthetic oil.

I could not see the stand to tell if it was modified (we sell a shorter stand on exchange).

The mirrors are also one of the few things that have been changed. Nice looking bike and good price.

Sean

Vboost has no switch unless they added a Tboost switch to it which gives you option to have vboost open at 3000, turn it off or stock position. It's a tiny switch usual mounted on left side clsr to the scoop.
Otherwise every time you hit around 62-6500. You'll know vboost is opening and working.....

Nice grab my friend. Has Progressive shocks in the rear ,aftermarket seat Corbin? also mini turn signals. That's low mileage for these the higher the mileage the better they run. My bike is about to turn 60,000 :) Welcome to the forum & watch out for that Mod monkey he bites & don't let go hahaha

Get a Kosman 17 or 18" rear wheel & a pair of radials to make it lose most if not all the front end issues, assuming all else is OK in the suspension & steering head. Other wheel options are there but are $$$. Your handllng will be ' much, much' better!

That's an early "flap style" Corbin seat- I have one exactly like it for sale, if you want one of your very own, lol!:biglaugh:

Thanks for all of the replies. I have an issue you can likely help me with. Bike does not appear to be charging. I thought it had a bad battery and bought a new one, but after riding 40 miles it had not charged. It's on a battery tender this weekend, and then I'll check running voltage. I would guess either a stator of a voltage regulator from general knowledge but don't know if there is a common VMax issue I should check.
Thanks again for the welcomes and comments!

A shortened kickstand thru Sean is 50.00 exchanged with yours. I have one of his on my bike....looks stock, just an inch shorter.

A shortened kickstand thru Sean is 50.00 exchanged with yours. I have one of his on my bike....looks stock, just an inch shorter.
I wonder if the previous owner tried to shorten it already. There's a big ugly weld on it. I may just take it off and have my local welding shop shorten it for me because if it was shortened it was not enough. You can see it in one of the photos I posted in the Introduction thread.

Back