rocket 3 vs Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
My sons friend is picking up an 05 Triumph rocket 3. He is an ignorant bugger, & he says he is going to leave my 98 Vmax in the dust. I laughed it off. Then I was curious, & started researching the Rocket,...wow, he just might do what he claims. No I'm worried, LOL. I was very confident at first, but not so much any more. So in about a week, I know he's gonna come knocking at my door to steal this old mans title of not being beat.
Has any one actually raced one ? my max is bone stock. I would hate to get beet by this young mouthy prick, LOL.

My buddy had a Rocket. Nice bike, but at least in Glenn's case, not the best electrical system.

The Rocket 3 looks stupid. I would rather have a gen 1 any day. If this kid gets this Rocket it will be brand new to him I would think that would be an advantage to you. Good luck.

I would say, first of all, have a sticky tire, like a shinko to help you out.

A pic from that article. The Rocket III is certainly bigger, the way Butterbean is bigger than Evander Holyfield. Having an engine twice the size and weighing over a hundred pounds more, I think that a poor rider on a VMax could lose to a great rider on a Rocket III.

Attachments

• Rocket III vs VMax.pdf
    153.4 KB · Views: 26
For being almost 200lbs heavier and less than 20hp more I'm thinkin you got him. Rocket has a ton of torque though, but it's not like the max lacks any get up.
The rocket is a beast. The freakin foot pegs are mounted to the motor,lol wtf. Funny design in my opinion. I don't hate the look of the tank though.
I think you'll smoke him.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

i agree with rider skill. My little Brother has a faster bike and large mouth. He's got 6 speeds and a 1300 engine. He down shifts at 100 and I can't catch him. I smoke him when I know I have the advantage. Off the line, he's in my rear view mirror until about 90 mph. Rolling start, he just doesn't learn. A gen 1 still is a demon down low.

I don't mind the looks of it, but when I tried to see about the ergonomics of one, it didn't fit. I didn't like the way the gas tank keeps your knees apart, it reminded me of the obstretical chairs the OB-GYN doctors use, just lacking the stirrups.

I've looked online for info about them, and the mechanical power adders can easily be installed to give them lots more HP, and since it's a big cubic inch bike to begin with, the torque is impressive. The one I read about that I recall was built by the South Bay Triumph dealer Matt Capri in CA who has a long hstory of modding bikes for performance. He used to mod BMW's, and his company Luftmeister had a lot of products for the airhead BMW's and the BMW K bikes, and the records to prove their mettle. I used some of their products on my BMW R100RT and was pleased with their quality and performance.

Here's a good article on the streamliner using two Rocket III engines, going for the world's record: http://www.cyclenews.com/2016/09/article/feature-triumph-infor-rocket-streamliner/

The Rocket 3 looks stupid. I would rather have a gen 1 any day. If this kid gets this Rocket it will be brand new to him I would think that would be an advantage to you. Good luck.

If he figures out how to ride the Rocket before you race him you may have your hands full. I rode one the first year they came out. Scads of torque and lots of thrust, the only thing I didnt care for was the sedate redline. If they ever put that engine in a Trophy I'll probably be the first buyer. The torque of that massive triple is delicious.

My ride was years before I bought the max, but if he's an idiot and the bike is stock my money is on you. If he figures out throttle control and when to shift he might be tricky to put in the rear view.

In any event I hope you kick his ass.

I was going to come in here and state, "I put my money on the Rocket". But after seeing launches, and reading their average 1/4 times, I'm shocked to see just how sluggish and slow they are.
Surprising.

Back