My Vmax performing like a 500cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being yours is an '85 model you have the smaller r/r and could upgrade to a newer model that is a litter larger, less problematic and will bolt into the same place behind the left passenger footpeg bracket. It also will plug into the same plug and iirc has an extra ground .Personally i would follow Bill Sewards advice to the "T".
Under your faux tank cover octane rating shows 89 for the Vmax and in the manual is the info in the pic attached-:clapping:

I feel your PAIN! Been doing some charging issue lesson cramming for the past few days. Mine went down Friday night. Glad to have all the help from the forum here. Bill has been exceptional! I am struggling about location issues also. I have the parts on order, maybe they will be here today. I do have the COPS, but looking at trying to mount in the original location of the OEM Rectifier/Regulator (R/R). If you haven't found it yet, the stock one is mounted on the back side of the left passenger foot peg holder. If you pull the left VMAX side panel it is real easy to see. (See Picture)

Pay no attention to the Blue wire nuts on the STATOR wires, Previous Owner (PO) had done it this way, I will clean this up when I get the parts in.

Hope this helps

Are you upgrading your R/R? Are you following a sticky, or what exactly are you gonan do? I'd like to upgrade to a better R/R and get the parts ordered and do it correctly. Let me know what u got going on and i'll follow your work with my own... i think we're after the same thing with this charging system upgrade...

Are you upgrading your R/R? Are you following a sticky, or what exactly are you gonan do? I'd like to upgrade to a better R/R and get the parts ordered and do it correctly. Let me know what u got going on and i'll follow your work with my own... i think we're after the same thing with this charging system upgrade...

Yes I am definitely upgrading the R/R. Still trying to work out all the details. I ordered the Super MOSFET Kit from RoadsterCycle.com. It is a wiring kit partially pre-assembled with a NEW Genuine Shindengen (MOSFET) FH020AA R/R. It measures 3.5 x 4.125 x 1.25
BEST I UNDERSTAND, this R/R is a (shunting type) similar to the original, but better in design. The newer design is a (SERIES TYPE) SH775 or SH847. These are a MUCH improved design over the shunting style. They pulse the stator on an off as needed thru diodes circuitry resulting in a cooler R/R and decreased load on the stator. possibly extending the life of the stator.

Due to Cost gouging, RoadsterCyle does not offer the SH775 version any more but only offers the SH847 version. It is rated at higher amps but is also physically a bit larger in size.

Now my dilemma:
Option 1: stay with my order and install the FH020AA, mounting it somewhere like many have done; fender, battery box, or original location left foot peg.

Option 2: upgrade to the NEWEST SH847 and try to find a location for the larger R/R. It is 4.75 x 4.75 x 1.5 cost is $50 more. Haven't found a suitable location yet.

Option 3: find another source for the SH775 version (size is 3.5 x 4.125 x 1.25) like the FH0202AA. These are now VERY costly 160.00 to 197.00 price range just for the R/R but uses the same wiring harness provide by Jack at RoadsterCycle.

Honestly I just like to get it back together and running again, but would like to do it right the first time.

Here is my thread I started, I don't want to hijack yours.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=44665

I will let you know how it goes.

IMHO I would steer away from these cheaper kits. Remember you get what you pay for. There are several sites like this one that use deceptive advertising to lead you to believe you are getting a Genuine Shindengen R/R. I am no expert by no means, but the picture does not look like a true FH020AA.

Look at this link from RoadsterCycle.com http://www.roadstercycle.com/Shindengen Mosfet Regulator about.htm

Look at the heat sink fins and see the differences. I just got mine back together. I ended up buying a SH775 the (series) type vs the FH020AA (shunting) type.
I bought Jack's super kit which included the FH020AA, which I don't really need now since I bought the SH775 R/R from another source. Jack no longer carried the SH775 model due to outrageous price gouging. His wiring kit worked great.
I bought the SH775 from MotoSport.com The Polaris part number is 4012941. This is clearly marked as a SH775. It was 151.94. Local Polaris dealer was asking 197.00 for the same part.

Not telling you what to do, but hate to see someone having to repair it long before it is time.

I hope you get yours running soon. Good Luck!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 12
I bought both my SH775 regulators (one went in the Roadstar) from PopwersportsNation.com..
I paid $40.00 each, free ship. They came out of Polaris ATV's. Work like new.

GOOD DEAL, thanks. I'll be doing that soon.

Along the lines of COPS, found out Blax just uses pre-owned GSX-R spark coils and what, uses a gsxr connection on the spark end and wires to a Vmax connection on the other end?

can i just build these with these?

being a Busa fan and all..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR...ash=item3ae8f67986:g:t-gAAOSwnK9ZU833&vxp=mtr

anyone know where to get the vmax plug ends or just use the old ones from the OEM coil packs?

I'd love to make em myself, even better ya know?

how does one "Test" them...? other things to consdier? really looking to see if these busa cops will work with our electrical system.. and for the connections...

GOOD DEAL, thanks. I'll be doing that soon.

Along the lines of COPS, found out Blax just uses pre-owned GSX-R spark coils and what, uses a gsxr connection on the spark end and wires to a Vmax connection on the other end?

can i just build these with these?

being a Busa fan and all..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR...ash=item3ae8f67986:g:t-gAAOSwnK9ZU833&vxp=mtr

anyone know where to get the vmax plug ends or just use the old ones from the OEM coil packs?

I'd love to make em myself, even better ya know?

how does one "Test" them...? other things to consdier? really looking to see if these busa cops will work with our electrical system.. and for the connections...

He made a set with resistors for me a week ago and they work perfectly-:clapping:
The ones i bought from pinwell cycle on Ebay were the spilkers and the resistance was way to high making it cut out at 6000 and surge around 55 mph. The coils that came with the wires were used also. I think they cost a pretty penny new.
I think there is a thread on here about making them yourself.:clapping:

ok very cool.

did I miss a part about the connectors used? I guess ideally need a connector from the hayabusa COP to the wire, then at other end I'll need a connector to go into the one that the old vmax coil will be replaced with... use same conector for that part?

or find connector that fits hayabusa COP, and hardline wire it, .. need connectors though, are they common or anyone know where to get info on that part of it all?

put multimeter on battery. reading 12.4 average i'd say.. maybe a bit more 12.8 but no more than that, started bike up and it was reading 13.93 average... but it would intermittently drop down significantly, 3,4,5,6 8;s,,,, that sorta thing.. real quick then come back.. it hung up at low numbers on startup if i remember correctly. so going to go ahead with new R/R and hook up with you guys for any special wiring advice, also looking into making my own COPS from new good for hayabusa (anyone own one, pm me i'd love to know your opinion..) so new stator on it's way, gonna get new R/R setup, make my own COPS from new coil/plugs,,,,,,,, and take it from there..

when i ran the bike today, i had some gas/oil mix it looked like coming from the exhaust intersection of the supertrapp slip ons and the other part... i took a pic but it was dripping there,, so also, ther ewas extreme smoke exhaust coming from left pipe. i did a manual temp check on the cylinders, cuz last checked spark plugs, cylinder 3 had corrosion above the threads and it dindt look clean like others, there was crap buildup that i am sure didnt clean out 100% so maybe somptin wrong with cylinder? havent done top end maintenance but i have 4 manuals for vmax. maybe with new electrical system chargine system upgrades will correct that? Thoughts?

put multimeter on battery. reading 12.4 average i'd say.. maybe a bit more 12.8 but no more than that, started bike up and it was reading 13.93 average... but it would intermittently drop down significantly, 3,4,5,6 8;s,,,, that sorta thing.. real quick then come back.. it hung up at low numbers on startup if i remember correctly. so going to go ahead with new R/R and hook up with you guys for any special wiring advice, also looking into making my own COPS from new good for hayabusa (anyone own one, pm me i'd love to know your opinion..) so new stator on it's way, gonna get new R/R setup, make my own COPS from new coil/plugs,,,,,,,, and take it from there..

when i ran the bike today, i had some gas/oil mix it looked like coming from the exhaust intersection of the supertrapp slip ons and the other part... i took a pic but it was dripping there,, so also, ther ewas extreme smoke exhaust coming from left pipe. i did a manual temp check on the cylinders, cuz last checked spark plugs, cylinder 3 had corrosion above the threads and it dindt look clean like others, there was crap buildup that i am sure didnt clean out 100% so maybe somptin wrong with cylinder? havent done top end maintenance but i have 4 manuals for vmax. maybe with new electrical system chargine system upgrades will correct that? Thoughts?

in addition, the temp check. cylinders 1,2,4 were all HOT! couldnt hold my hand on them long, for cylinder 3 though, i could hold it all day long, :rofl_200: right, you get the point there.. took a vid but it shows just that.. so.. somehting else to keep in mind.. i'm thinking the'res somptin with cyl 3 ..... corrosion on plug above threads, not hot, hmmmm....

Back