Frustrated by Hard Starting, Cantankerous, Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
OK. I've had a few bikes, and have restored many classic cars. I'm no stranger to starting issues. But, this '94 Vmax is starting to piss me off.

After sitting for a few days, it seems to flood on startup if it doesn't fire right away. Jetting is good, plugs are new, battery fresh. Compression measured 175 - 180'ish.

It has been getting hotter in Phoenix in the last couple of weeks. As always, I've been attempting startup under full choke. Does everyone else back off on the choke as the weather warms up? I'll be trying that tomorrow.

Three times now I've been all geared up with a flooded bike. Wanna talk about frustration? Actually, a shot of WD-40 helped get it going this morning, but sort of contradicts the flooding... Little odd, but I'm not arguing with the result.

Comments or advice would be welcomed.

Never usually need more than half choke to start the bike and once started, only need about 1/4 of choke or so to maintain 1500rpm idle. i think you maybe overchoking it.

Mike

when mine gets in the heat of summer 90 degrees or so, it won't start with choke on more than a 1/4.... i would try it without it first....

make sure your electrical system is putting out enough too

I usually don't have to use any choke on first start once air temps are 80's & 90's. If any, it would very little....definately not full choke....

-Mike

Choke isn't usually the issue. Hot or cold. I can't stress enough that when some batteries die they will actually still turn the bike over somewhat normally but not leave the ignition system enough voltage to "turn on" the CDI/TCI. If you hit it with jumper cables and it starts immediately that very well could be the problem.

It not then carb floats could be set too high, out of sync, or other issues as noted previously.

Sean

Choke isn't usually the issue. Hot or cold. I can't stress enough that when some batteries die they will actually still turn the bike over somewhat normally but not leave the ignition system enough voltage to "turn on" the CDI/TCI. If you hit it with jumper cables and it starts immediately that very well could be the problem.

It not then carb floats could be set too high, out of sync, or other issues as noted previously.

Sean

i agree, it was more of a cold issue but my old '94 would crank under 45? fine but wouldn't fire. put a 10amp charger on it or jump it and it would turn over instantly.

Thanks for all the quick input, guys.

The battery is spinning the motor like crazy. And when acting up, it fires one or two cylinders and then no combustion at all.

It hadn't occurred to me that, even when spinning that strongly, there might still not be enough voltage to the ignition electronics. I guess, being a EE, I could verify this, but meanwhile (and contrary to Sean's sage advice) I'm going to definitely back off on the choking. At the very least, it sounds like I've been over-doing it a bit there.

Oh, and I have NOT synched the carbs - since I've had the bike (March). I need a new manometer. The one I've had for many years leaks like a sieve and has seen better days.

I'll follow up here once I've gotten past the issue for closure - and to provide a reference for future sufferers of the same affliction...

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I synced a Venture last night that wouldn't start for shit! Of course Sean had just gone through the carbs and blah blah blah but it took a bit to get dialed in. Now it just pops right off like nothing.

So be aware that sync plays a large part in how they run.

Chris

While I've never flooded mine from over choking, I only need maybe 1/4 choke to maintain a 1500 RPM "warm up" , and even with no choke it will idle on it's own, albeit slowly and kind of roughly until it warms(around 800 rpm).

Get a multimeter and put it across the battery. Crank the engine and note the voltage. If it's less than 9 or 10 volts, the battery may be no good.

I had an issue like that on an old quad. It would fire right up using the pull cord, but would crank crank crank forever using the electric start. Baffled me to hell until someone finally mentioned a low voltage during crank. While it cranked over fine, replacing the battery solved the problem.

I ride mine to work every day, and in the mornings when I start her up and again when I leave work around 5 I only have to choke it a wee bit to get her started.

Then again, my carbs are WAY out of tune. I've been saying I need to retune them since before I moved from Indiana to Arizona!!!!

I start mine always on plenty of choke when the motor's cold - even in the heat of FL (90+ every day).
It's always started fine just like that, then it shoots to 3-3500rpm and I back it off to almost nothing to keep it a 12-1300rpm til I ride off.
Defo think that sync has more to do with your prob than the choke.

I think this issue is pretty much solved, but I wanted to chime in with my procedures and see if others do the same.

I push the choke down all the way, then pull it back up just under half way, no throttle and hit the button. In the cold I do the same, maybe a bit more around half but still no throttle and it always catches and revs up, then I slowly pull the choke up till it idles at around 1500.

OK. I've had a few bikes, and have restored many classic cars. I'm no stranger to starting issues. But, this '94 Vmax is starting to piss me off.

After sitting for a few days, it seems to flood on startup if it doesn't fire right away. Jetting is good, plugs are new, battery fresh. Compression measured 175 - 180'ish.

It has been getting hotter in Phoenix in the last couple of weeks. As always, I've been attempting startup under full choke. Does everyone else back off on the choke as the weather warms up? I'll be trying that tomorrow.

Three times now I've been all geared up with a flooded bike. Wanna talk about frustration? Actually, a shot of WD-40 helped get it going this morning, but sort of contradicts the flooding... Little odd, but I'm not arguing with the result.

Comments or advice would be welcomed.
I use to have my buddys v-max in the garage with the same issue.
New 20Ah battery, new plugs, new ign. wires and caps, carbs synched and evrything fine in perfect condition.

She was cranking like wild pig, one or two shots into exhaust and then wont start. Somethimes she started quite good.

What i has found was the LAGGING signal from pickup coil.
Multimeter shows that p-coil is ok.
I started to inspect the p-coil wires and found that those wires have a CRIMPS, close to middle drive gear cover area.
Those crimps where full of dirt, corroded badly.
After throwing those crimps away and soldering the wires...she starts with the touch.

You may give a try.

Was there any more to this story?? Was the issue actually solved?

I start mine always on plenty of choke when the motor's cold - even in the heat of FL (90+ every day).
It's always started fine just like that, then it shoots to 3-3500rpm and I back it off to almost nothing to keep it a 12-1300rpm til I ride off.
Defo think that sync has more to do with your prob than the choke.

I do the same almost! But I don't back off as much. I back off to 2500, and wait for it to rise to 3k. (reaches that in about 30 seconds) and close the choke and I'm good.

Latest posts

Back