What does everyone wear for helmets?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Helmets

I personally run with a Shark EvoLine. It is a flip helmet, but instead of flipping to the top of the helmet, it flips all the way around making it a 3/4 w/shield. It also has one of the internal sun visors. It isn't Snell approved but it is ECE 22-05/DOT certified (in both modes). Webbikeworld.com did a review of the DOT version here... (mine is the same graphic pattern, as well)...It's a little heavy but most flippers are. I absolutely love that I have a choice of full face or not while on the bike. The helmet retails for about $400 ($450 for the "Absolute" graphic pattern), but I picked mine up at the local dealer using a 50% off coupon and walked out at $225 :eusa_dance:

Something to look at...

Its an original concept by Nolan first used in N102 model. In this model
sunshield was outside helmet which is not good idea.
In the next model N103 sunshield goes inside and its triggered by special lever
oustise the helmet, friendly used lever.

You will find sunshild also in my LS2 but its not that perfect, triggering lever is not kind of friendly one.

If I would be chosing modular helmet with sunshield i'd go with Nolan or Schoubert.
Nolan make the best modulars, no dout about it.

I always go with Caberg, J1 -> Trip -> Rhyno

Easy to use latch with an inner visor
m001_02.jpg

Their latest has a Bluetooth intercom :clapping:
m001_02.jpg

Im not familiar with Caberg but heard many diffrent opinions but i guees evryone has his own. We will find many good helmets those days.

I remember when first Nolan presented modular helmet with bluetooth.
It was couple years ago and back there were only Nolan and Schoubert with modulars in offer. Today preatty any manufacter have modular models.

One Brand should be mentioned tough, SHOEI.

I'm using a black Shoei multitech modular on daily basis.
Little bit heavy compared to my previous Icon but quite better aerodynamic.
I can move my head easily even at high speed and it's not too noisy.

Been wearing Shoei helmets for as long as I can remember.
Right now I am sporting a RF-1000
e813d1b7a7c665eab4370327ecb1315a_refined.jpg

I thought the extra cost was not worth, but after trying them I with beside Arai I won't get any other brand :)

Thanks for all the replies,I definitely want a modular,they seem to be pretty popular with everyone.May take me a few weeks to get them,as i live in a small town with only two dealerships,with limited stock.(i like to try stuff on be for i order or buy) I'll probably go with one like KJ's or an HJC,thanks for all the info.
rob

I use the HJC Sy-Max for my summer helmet and Nolan X-Lites for cold weather. Also have several other helmets including Shoei and another HJC. The new Shoei RF-1100 looks good as it has the removable/washable interior which the RF-1000 did not. The new Sy-Max has a flip down sunshield which I wish was on my old one. If I were to buy another modular helmet, it would be the new Sy-Max. The main thing I look for is completely removable and washable interiors. (Not just the cheek pads). All of my helmets have this except my old Shoei X9.

+1 on the Shoei 1000. very comfortable to wear, even at high speeds. It cuts the wind nicely.

COP RUNNER,
COOL HELMET:punk: wife loves it but says i cant have one,because she hits the back of my helmet when i stop to quick.
MY WIFE THINKS MY HELMET IS STUPID & DOESN'T LIKE MY V-MAX EITHER ! NEVER HAS BEEN ON IT OR EVEN LOOKED AT IT ! ... BUT MY GIRLFRIEND LOVES MY HELMET & SAYS MY V-MAX IS THE COOLEST MOTORCYCLE SHE HAS EVER SEEN & SHE DOES HIT HER FACE SHIELD ON THE SPIKES WHEN I'M STOPPING , BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ? ..SHE DOESN'T CARE ! ...I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO SAY ABOUT THAT ! ...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Attachments

• 000_0181.jpg
    000_0181.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 21
  • 000_0179.jpg
    000_0179.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 18
  • 000_0180.jpg
    000_0180.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_0884.jpg
    100_0884.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0887.jpg
    100_0887.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0886.jpg
    100_0886.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1116.jpg
    100_1116.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 23
  • joker.jpg
    joker.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Hey COP RUNNER, that's the only way you found to get rid off your girl friend ? lol hahaha
I love your hardcore helmet tho, it perfectly fit you and your ride :)

Hey COP RUNNER, that's the only way you found to get rid off your girl friend ? lol hahaha
I love your hardcore helmet tho, it perfectly fit you and your ride :)
JUST WISHFUL THINKING ABOUT THE GIRLFRIEND :biglaugh: ?... BUT SERIOUS ABOUT THE WIFE ! ,,, THANKS FOR THE COMPLEMENTS , IT ALL COMES TOGETHER WHEN I RIDE , I WEAR ALL BLACK " EVERYTHING " & THE HELMET & THE BIKE TO ME , IT ALL JUST LOOKS , CRAZY , BAD ASS , ALL TOGETHER ! ...... THANKS AGAIN ! ...:punk:

Last edited:

yeah I exactly wear the same kind of stuff (without the spikes on the helmet) that's the reason why I got that bad ass ti-max II Icon jacket hehe

yeah I exactly wear the same kind of stuff (without the spikes on the helmet) that's the reason why I got that bad ass ti-max II Icon jacket hehe
THE LOOKS I GET ARE GREAT ! ... ACTUALLY PRICELESS ! ... :biglaugh:... THE BIGGEST THING WERE THE SPIKES ON THE HELMET ! ... I LAUGH ALL DAY UNDER MY HELMET ! ... PEOPLE GIVE ME THE , THUMBS UP & OR POINT , EVEN A KID ON A BICYCLE STOPPED DEAD IN HIS TRACKS AND TOOK THE LOLLIPOP WRIGHT OUT OF HIS MOUTH AND STARED AT ME AS I RODE BY & THAT WAS THE FIRST DAY WITH THE SPIKES , ABOUT 10 MINUTES INTO THE RIDE ! .. :biglaugh: EVEN FLYING UP THE PARKWAY AT 80 - 90 MPH , PEOPLE GIVE THE THUMBS UP , OR SOMEONE IN THE CAR MUST SAY SOMETHING BECAUSE THEY WILL ALL LOOK OVER AT THE SAME TIME & SMILE ( BIG SMILES ) ... AND I'M NORMALLY MODEST ! .. :biglaugh: "LOL" " YEAH RIGHT " , BUT I EAT IT UP ! ... AS IF YOU COULDN'T TELL ! ... :rofl_200:

Last edited:

didnt read the whole thread but i used to work at a shop selling helmets.... if you like your head, buy a full face, fixed face helmet.... if you have the fund to drop $300 each, shoei and arai are best... they have 3 layers of foam padding inside the helmet, along with a better shell to absorb more impact..... no rebound bounces when you crack your head like poly helmets such as hjc and icon, and the padding is what saves your life, they use 3 layers instead of 1....hands down best protection out there

modulars are not snell rated because the hinges break and goodbye face

modulars are not snell rated because the hinges break and goodbye face

Thats not entirely correct. If it was, you wouldn't be able to find a Snell rating on open faced helmets.

the KBC FFR modular does not protect your chin. It says so right on the helmet. However it does surpass the ECE 22.05 helmet standard in Europe.
which you will find is a little more strict than the holier then thou snell rating. the following cut and paste should help explain a little better.

When a motorcyclist goes into a shop to buy a helmet and starts reading the stickers and labels on the helmets for sale, he or she is likely to have some questions. This is because in spite of interest and lip service to international harmonization, there are still numerous performance standards for motorcycle helmets.

Some are government standards and others issued by private organizations. These standards differ in many ways but are similar in that they measure a helmet’s ability to absorb impact. The effectiveness of the retention system that keeps the helmet on the head is also tested as are accessories such as face shields.

Equally important, although not directly addressed by helmet standards, are wearability issues such as comfort, ventilation, weight, fit, cost, appearance, and availability. There are two ageless helmet maxims that the reader should be aware of. First is that if you can tell the helmet designers exactly what your crash will be, they can make you the best possible helmet for that particular crash. Second is that the best helmet possible won’t protect you if you’re not wearing it.

Motorcycle helmets are designed, manufactured, and tested to meet performance standards. These performance tests drive the helmet design and the measured performance of the helmets in laboratory testing, and therefore accident performance as well. In spite of the similarity of purpose, the methods and requirements vary dramatically from standard to standard.

Some are relatively simple, and others are far more complex. It is important to note that none of the standards are meant to precisely replicate the threats that a motorcyclist may see in a crash. This is primarily due to the need for reliability and repeatability in the testing environment, to say nothing of the variability of actual crashes.

There have been several studies of motorcycle crashes over the last 25 years that have attempted to evaluate any protective advantage or disadvantage of helmets meeting one standard or another (Hurt, 1981; Otte, 1991).

No advantage has ever been shown in these field studies for any particular standard, so the helmet industry and individual riders are left comparing theoretical pros and cons of the various standards.

That is not to say that research has not shown important differences in helmets. Since helmets protect best what they cover most, additional coverage has always been found to provide additional protection: a full-facial coverage helmet has more protection than an open-face which has more coverage and protection than a shorty (partial coverage) helmet.

Research in California (Hurt, et al, 1981) showed that 90% of real life crash impacts are at or below the impact requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218, performance standard for motorcycle helmets (also known as FMVSS 218 or DOT).

WAIT , I'M PRETTY SURE THAT ONE OF THOSE 15 HOLE'S I DRILLED FOR MY " SPIKES " WENT WRIGHT THROUGH MY SNELL STICKER ! ... :rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Attachments

• 000_0182.jpg
    000_0182.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 5

Motorcyclist magazine ran this article about helmets and their effectiveness. A lot of the discussion revolves around whether the Snell standard requires helmets to be too stiff and thus transferring more of the impact g force to the head. It is kinda lenghty but raises a lot of good points. My Vemar VTXE helmet is made to DOT and ECE 22.05 (European standard).
I also read somewhere that most US racing series require a Snell certified helmet in order to compete. Is this true?

PERSONALLY I THINK THERE SHOULD BE MORE DISCUSSIONS ON RIDING & HUMPING AND LESS ON CRASHING ! ... BUT THATS JUST ME ! ... :rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back