Gen 2 Engine Build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's this summers project! Anyone out there intersted in a gen 2 Muscle Engine (on exchange)?

Sean

Attachments

• Gen 2 Crate.jpg
    Gen 2 Crate.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Gen 2 Engine Left Side.jpg
    Gen 2 Engine Left Side.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Gen 2 Engine Right Side.jpg
    Gen 2 Engine Right Side.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 258
Just a chassis dyno. I'll be collaborating with a lot of other suppliers in this initial build and will not charge much more then my cost on this first build so I can get the engine out there for the community to see.

Anyone interested and wanting specific things done would need to get with me on it.

I am thinking heads and cams, possible piston change, maybe rods, strokers, ect??

Sean

Not sure on the bore Rick with the way the cylinders are designed. We'll get it apart and see what we think can be done and still keep it streetable. I would like to get a core because the eventual plan is for me to build a chaindrive, supercharged drag bike using this engine.

Sean

Just a chassis dyno. I'll be collaborating with a lot of other suppliers in this initial build and will not charge much more then my cost on this first build so I can get the engine out there for the community to see.

Anyone interested and wanting specific things done would need to get with me on it.

I am thinking heads and cams, possible piston change, maybe rods, strokers, ect??

Sean

Sean I would be interested in head work only...don't see the need to go bigger.....right now. Cams will really wake up this motor IMO. It's my understanding that the variable cam timing that was designed for this bike was shelved at the last minute. In that configuration it would have made a lot more power on top. The bottom end and drive-line is very strong.

Mark

Mark or Brett, Let the Star guys know we can discuss this in more detail at the Eureka Springs event. I doubt I will be getting into it before that (other projects to finish).

BUT, I want to do work that most would be interested in buying. That's why I would like to do this on an exchange so we can do another level after that. My final level will be for my new dragbike (which will hopefully get started at the end of the year).

So, from what I am seeing/hearing:
Heads (Porting and Possible Larger Valves)
Cams (Maybe Drop in and Larger)

We'll get this engine fixed with stock rods probably, though I may get some "H" beam rods engineered up. Sounds like at least for this engine we'll also leave the stock stroke on the crankshaft though we'll look and see if there's any room to stroke it (we can do 1mm stroke on the gen 1 with a little thicker head gaskets but no cam change).

We'll need to measure valve clearances and see if we can go larger cams for the drop in as well as for larger valves. Of course larger then that can be done but new pistons would likely need made if the stock ones can't be flycut.

ARP head studs for sure. Get some Cometic gaskets engineered. Explore big bore possibilities (which will be a big challenge since there are no "sleeves". Examine Trans though nothing may need to be improved on that (though a precision matched trans like we do with our undercutting is always stronger then a production part). Cam chains are probably fine as is.

Lots to look at!

That motor is going to be incredible when your done with it, love the idea of beefing it up and improving on it! I just can't get past the chunky ugly frame and body it's going to be going back into.

Sean,
I wish, I think we all wish someone would make some drop in cams for our beast, Just cams we collectively think would help lots.... You come up with a drop in cam package that ups the output, you will sale lots I think..No one else has touched it yet....
P.S. dyno proven obviously... :)

Drop in cams may not get you much for the money. I don't think guys are prepared for $1500-$2000 for less then 10hp. I am not really sure what can be done at this point but that's being subjective.

I will try and "publish" all the information I can though. Rest assured that we are working with some of the most experienced Vmax engine builders out there (a collaboration is going right now).

Hopefully withing the next couple of weeks we can get some more details out to you guys!

Sean

Anything can fit in anything. BUT, to get this in there would take a lot of cutting/welding and chassis work. Far too much to be practical.

Sean

Sean, any update on the new engine and the cams. What about a chaindrive, I am interested in that.

Engine is getting overbore now. +3mm if I remember correctly. Also getting the correct ceramic cylinder coating reapplied. I can't remember what profile cam we're going for but that is in works too. I need to check up on it and see how it's going.

I do want to chain drive one of the engines (not this one) for eventual use in a new drag bike chassis we're going to have built.

Back