"Frankenstorm"??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Wife and I are visiting a British Submarine, Saturday on the East Coast of Florida. Glad the "Frankenstorm" will be past by then.....

:confused2: Frankenstorm,,,,,, ?????? Joe Biden???? Nancy Pelosi. God Knows who named it that....:rofl_200:

anytime a storm is nicknamed i automatically assume its going to be 10x less than they predict. the 'hype' that drives these things is insane.

not to say i won't be prepared

but still makes me laugh.

think its for all hallows eve hahah, but doh as i will be in the area grrrrrr

This is your opportunity dannymax. You will have to comfort Mrs dannymax. get out the candles and extra blankets. Maybe the power will go out, and you can take it from there.:eusa_dance:

anytime a storm is nicknamed i automatically assume its going to be 10x less than they predict. the 'hype' that drives these things is insane.

not to say i won't be prepared

but still makes me laugh.

+1

its prolly just hyped up to boost the economy..ya know, buy generators.candles..batteries.stock up on food/ water..blankets.
Im sure they can control (or rather create) weather these days.

jmo?..
;)

think its for all hallows eve hahah, but doh as i will be in the area grrrrrr

I bet yer right Rov....it never occurred to me!

This is your opportunity dannymax. You will have to comfort Mrs dannymax. get out the candles and extra blankets. Maybe the power will go out, and you can take it from there.:eusa_dance:

That crossed my mind....she seems to glue herself to the news channel and acoff up as much drama as possible but we'll see. Power outage won't do it, I got a 13,500 watt generator all wired in and ready to go that she knows about...I could tell her the tv is too big a draw on it tho.....yeah! that would work! :biglaugh:

You'll have to use the line " I ran out of gas" That works every time. Well most of the time, er, a some of the time.:biglaugh::eusa_dance:

When Salty, my old Buddy calls to warn me that he has a bad feeling and to batten down the hatches, I do. I saw the size of the storm on tv just before Salty called. This guy has been on the ocean most of his life.
Today, I made arrangeents to put my bike in a nieghbors garage, started up the Gen/welder (it can power most of the house), got the chain saw in order and got heavey plastic to cover up the bulkhead and some firewood. I'm not right on the waterfront, but the Cape gets wacked from Nor'easters. I'm hoping I over reacted.
Steve-o

At the gym today the CNN talking heads were blathering on and on about this is going to be a storm of "biblical proportions" with the "potential for multibillion dollar damages".

It was kind of funny, after they had been hyping it up for a few minutes, they went to some actual meteorologist, who they were obviously leading on to validate their claims....he kept backpedaling them, saying things like "well, the possibility for that exists", and "the models now aren't quite as bad as they were yesterday evening", and then they cut him off, obviously unsatisfied with his level of doom-and-gloom forecasting.

It'll amount to a day or two of above-average rainfall, a few trees will fall down, and some people might lose power for a bit. Big deal, like that's never happened before. Better go buy a generator, 8 cases of batteries, stock up on cash and gasoline, in case the power happens to go out for an hour you'll be prepared to survive.

Since you might die if you are unable to power up your computer to update facebook and tweet about the fact you have no power and how terrible this is.

Thursday was pretty-bad for driving rain bands sweeping thru the area. At times the wind propelled the rain at what seemed like 45 degrees, and there was some minor local flooding. I've seen worse here within the past year for accumulation of standing water. I did go by the oceanfront and the waves were whipping-up pretty-well. The neighborhood my former shift captain lives in, in Ft. Lauderdale, Rio Vista, had the canals close to the sea wall tops.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-street-flooding-20121026,0,7828725.story

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-deerfield-pier-damage-20121026,0,2779012.story

Thursday evening was bad, but I expected Fri to be the worst, and it didn't happen. The east side of the storm's 'cone' or travel path is supposed to be the worst weather, which means southern NJ should get hammered pretty-badly if the prediction about its path holds into TU.

Last week was the 5-year anniversary of Wilma, which resulted in big damage in south FL, I was in Davie FL after that going through trailer parks searching for people trapped or dead in destroyed housing. We didn't find any bodies but the community lost thousands of trailers/mobile homes. I saw a map in the Building Dept. afterwards and it showed the storm path and charted the worst structural damage to buildings as a GIS overlay. Going from SE to NW, it looked like the "hand of God" had clawed its way across the community, leaving some homes nothing-more than the metal chassis it was built-on and other homes, of more-recent construction, virtually untouched. FEMA software & statistics were used.

Some people in the 1-acre/home districts were trapped in their neighborhoods by fallen trees, and had to work w/neighbors to cut their roads free of tree falls. Huge areas had lost most of their tree canopies, the Norfolk pines fared poorly, often snapped in-two, and the casuarina pines were ripped-out of the ground, lying sideways, w/their shallow root balls peeled-back like the aluminum seal on a can of "Mr. Peanuts" cashews. The local Boy Scout camp, Camp Seminole, 106 acres, lost 85% of its tree canopy.

By comparison, this storm was an orange-tabby kitten w/a poor attitude, where Wilma was an angry wildcat, and Hurricane Andrew was a pack of feral feline-distempered lionesses, ravaging the land before and around them.

Hope you folks in the Mid-Atlantic states don't get it too-bad.

This is a good way to stimulate the economy. Go try and find a generator, chainsaw, batteries, milk or bread. That being said I am preparing for the worst. Generator is working and ready and XBOX 360 is ready for my teenage boys lol. :rofl_200: Hope everyone stays safe and doesn't get to much damage to their properties.
The Vmax is in the garage and won't even know there is a storm outside. :punk:

I don't think a little over-preparedness is such a bad idea this time....it isn't going to matter much what level of intensity Sandy is at currently, or what path she takes or even where she makes landfall (except, of course, to the folks in the direct path)

What's gonna matter is what she turns into when Sandy meets up with the storm coming across from the west and the artic blast coming down from the north. This is a pretty unusual situation that just doesn't occur very often and the chances are really good for a major storm which will affect the entire northeast.

It's gonna be windy, it's gonna be wet and it's gonna last for quite a while....and now it's beginning to look like it'll all be topped of with a couple feet of snow.

On the shortlist are:
-Mount the sno-plow
-Sharpen the chainsaw
-Fill all the gas cans

Probly gonna be using all three! :punk:

I don't think a little over-preparedness is such a bad idea this time....it isn't going to matter much what level of intensity Sandy is at currently, or what path she takes or even where she makes landfall (except, of course, to the folks in the direct path)

What's gonna matter is what she turns into when Sandy meets up with the storm coming across from the west and the artic blast coming down from the north. This is a pretty unusual situation that just doesn't occur very often and the chances are really good for a major storm which will affect the entire northeast.

It's gonna be windy, it's gonna be wet and it's gonna last for quite a while....and now it's beginning to look like it'll all be topped of with a couple feet of snow.

On the shortlist are:
-Mount the sno-plow
-Sharpen the chainsaw
-Fill all the gas cans

Probly gonna be using all three! :punk:
Hope it misses you my friend.Way to early in the season to start off with that!!!Winter is ruff enough.

Being prepared is always a good course of action! I hope all the Nor'Easters fare well in this storm, be it as bad as predicted or not.

The Cape just started getting pounded. 60 mph wind gust est. Damage outside is happening already. My neibors neew stockade fence is on the ground. And, the storm is not upon us yet.
I hope everyone is doing ok.
Steve-o

Last edited:
The Cape just started getting pounded. 60 mph wind gust est. Damage outside is happening already. My neibors neew stockade fence is on the ground. And, the storm is not upon us yet.
I hope everyone is doing ok.
Steve-o

Here at work in the Berkshires and all is "normal". A little windy. No real rain yet. CT's closing thier highways at 1:00 so some employees jumping ship but I have yet to see anything impressive.............

Hope you make out OK Steve. What town do you live in?

Latest posts

Back