Stock pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledHead

Reaction score
When I bought my 2001 Vmax it was apparent the the PO had drilled, or punched out the baffles on the original mufflers. I my opinion all this does is make the bike louder, and in fact hurts overall performance and rideability.

I found a used unmolested set of cans on eBay, and with the help of these forums got them installed.

I made a short video to compare the difference. It is not terribly dramatic on the video, but live the noise reduction is huge. As a side benefit the bike runs much better too, no more flat spots, or lean surge.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXYV1ytZcA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I do like the stock exhaust sound, especially when the tach is climbing past 7k!

If I were to try to get a different sound, I might want a little angrier, raspier growl to it, but not a deeper rumble, per say

I've had Jardines, Supertrapps and Hindle slip-ons, but in the end I've realised I like the OEM pipes best - it's so quiet it's really lovely riding around, and yes the bikes seems to run much better on OEM than with any of the slip-ons I tried. And I adjusted jetting and A/F, still it feels better with the OEM.

The vmax sounds great BUT I prefer measuring down from end of stock exhaust about 2 foot then using a hacksaw cut them off and let that puppy breathe !! just kidding sounds good thanks for the video and ride safe !!

If anyone reading this thread want's to go to stock pipes, I have a mint set from the manifolds back. Rear pipes are immaculate,just a small scrape from an over the curb excursion on the down pipes but invisible on the bike. PO, honest. Shipping will be a pita but what isn't these days ? I priced the back end pair of mufflers @ $1200 from a Yamaha accredited dealer just a week ago, these are a whole lot cheaper as befits this forum and the tightwads herein. :worthy:

Chris.

Awhile-ago, I posted my experience in fitting the stock exhaust, i.e., replacing the stock exhaust, from bare exhaust ports of the cylinder heads, to completion. Guys like Kyle and Sean can do it w/their eyes-closed, in their sleep, and quicker than I can. But, after having to pull my engine a couple of times during the last 18 months, I got better and quicker at it.

I also like the stock bike's mufflers. I like their looks, their sound everywhere, and their durability. That-said, I also like the alternatives available to us. I have several aftermarket 4/1's as they are what I prefer for looks and performance, but my choice in running any of them is the UFO 4/1 w/the 'Franken-can(ister)' I fabbed. Performance w/a DJ Stage 7 kit, but very quiet especially compared to the late Jon Cornell's bellowing end-of-exhaust choices. I should borrow my friend's Hero-cam and affix it to the bike, to get some video of the sound and operational behavior of the bike. Quiet-enough for being in traffic w/a cop to your right, and actually being-able to not have to-worry about blasting him w/db's as you leave a light. You would be short-shifting at 3K w/Jon's stock 4/1 Dragstar choices for 'mufflers,' and worriedly-scanning your mirrors for the cop deciding to activate the light bar and to make a traffic stop to see why you're so-loud!

I find the Kerker 4/1 to have a great sound, but I don't want to cut my centerstand mount. I have toyed w/the idea of trying to fab-up a removable gusset for the centerstand mounts, so you could replace them if you wanted to use another exhaust, and not lose the mounts. Yes, I know you could cut-'em off, and then re-weld them, but I think it would be a better solution to try for a removable plate bearing the centerstand mounts. I haven't really looked-at it closely to see if it is feasible, if there's enough room for clearance to the pipes, and what you would have to do if anything to the centerstand 'legs' attaching-to the mounts. I have considered that it might change the geometry of the 'lift,' requiring shortening the centerstand. One day...

Here is the link to the stock replacement how-to, sorry no pics, but I tried to be as-specific as-possible during the write-up. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=23592&highlight=exhaust+replacement
It's got nearly 300 views, so hopefully, some of our members have found it worthwhile during their struggles. Maybe one day when I'm bored, I'll remove my UFO and take pics while replacing my stock system, and add them to the post. :punk:

As a side benefit the bike runs much better too, no more flat spots, or lean surge.

http://
My Max ran OK on the road with drilled pipes.But it never seemed to idle right. So I got some clean un-drilled stock pipes off a 1997 model. I miss the louder sound on the road but your right, the thing runs much better. Gotta be the stock back pressure,I wouldn't have it any other way now. Thanks for the vid:clapping:

what did you pay if you don't mind me asking

I've bought a couple sets of stock megaphones, including a totally-stock set removed after coming-home from the dealer, I am saving them to install some day if I ever get-around to finishing my bike's cosmetics, and decide to enter it in a show, where I want it to have a stock appearance. They are about as-perfect as you can get, N.O.S., essentially. There is no accumulation of carbon in them. I paid $175 for them, along w/some other take-offs from this owner, well-worth the price if you are wanting some unmolested pieces. It included a windshield, and a stock rear seat grab bar and the lollipop turn signals, maybe some other stuff I cannot recall at the moment. I have seen people asking crazy prices for stock megaphones, until you look-up what Yamaha charges for a new set!

Well I now have a set of stock mufflers available to someone who is in need of them.
I received a set of Cobra slip-on mufflers for an incredible deal that in my opinion look a lot better than the stock ones. They are also much lighter than stock, and (this is something that's actually hard to tell from videos) sound better too.

The one disadvantage is that I lost a little power on the top end. Not as much as I expected to lose, and the loss is way up where I wont really notice it on the street.

Bill I got a perfect set.....was removed from bike just a bit after new....they are mint...black, for the 97.....

You going stck with yours?

Bill I got a perfect set.....was removed from bike just a bit after new....they are mint...black, for the 97.....

You going stck with yours?

No its not for my 85 Rov. I bought an 05 yesterday that has a few damaged parts that im looking to replace. keeping it all original stock so I need the chrome mufflers, not black, thanks anyway.

No its not for my 85 Rov. I bought an 05 yesterday that has a few damaged parts that im looking to replace. keeping it all original stock so I need the chrome mufflers, not black, thanks anyway.

I have a complete set of chrome unmolested 2007 OEM pipes and mufflers. Couple of small scrapes on the underside but never been down as I posted earlier. Looks like the PO went across a curb and it grounded. Not remotely visible when on the bike unless your laying on your back and have a head less then two inches deep. These suckers are HEAVY so shipping will be an issue but it's all there if you are interested. I also have a whole bunch of other OEM stuff. PM me with your wish list.

Chris.

I'd be curious as to how large the hole was in that video...I drilled mine 1" and it sounds very different from that video. I don't have any idle issues...maybe a little off the bottom end with the reduction in back pressure, but that is made up for elsewhere in the RPM range. Completely stock the wind would take over the pipes at around 50mph...now I still hear my bike at highway speeds...

see when i got the bike it had stock pipes so and i wanted louder so i put 5 1/2 in holes in them and drimmeled them out to round them out and look good then put header paint on them and make them look nice then re tuned the carbs and runs like a camp and decently loud

i want to put the quadzillia exhaust on and upgrade the carb jets down the line but other stuff is coming first so it will due for now

Back