VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SneakyPete

Reaction score
This has GOT to be good news for all Vmaxxers with bad starting or hot starting issues.

My Vmax would sometimes start first button from cold but often would require several long cranks - together with grinding starter clutch noises before firing. If run hot, the motor would misfire at low revs and stall at stop lights. Restarting the hot motor was near to impossible unless allowed to cool. Fuel economy was down the pan, -20 miles on an average tank.

Trawling the web told me my crank sensor/pick-up coil may be suspect. £380 OEM new part!!!

A bit more detective work and I discovered Vmax motors were also used in a US market Yamaha XVZ1300 - without v-boost. The same sensor (with different letters on the part number) is £175 OEM new.

Then came the eBay search - second hand part from US bike breaker - £16 (+£11 duty).

Now for the fitting:
DSCF0560_zps13a70816.jpg

You will need 2 gaskets - 1 for final gear cover and 1 for Genny cover. Tip bike over to right hand side to save most of oil in engine. Remove footrest and gearchange assembly. Remove lowest bolt on final gear cover - some oil will flow out (approx cupful). Remove final gear cover.

DSCF0561_zps488a0e98.jpg

Unbolt sidestand switch to avoid oil damage.

DSCF0564_zps459288a1.jpg

Remove Genny cover - sensor can be seen inside cover.

This is the money shot:
2sensors_zps47c5283b.jpg

Vmax sensor is on right - XVZ13 is on left.

Sensor is a direct replacement. HOWEVER when soldering connections SENSOR BLACK joins VMAX ORANGE, VMAX BLACK joins SENSOR GREY. This is IMPORTANT! your bike will not run if wired incorrectly.

If you get a result from this fix PLEASE answer this post - other Vmaxxers will be able to find this when searchiing the web.

CHEERS - SneakyPete

Wow cool info, Do you the yamaha part numbers

Back