low rpm/throttle intermittant miss

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
a little back ground. I have an 05 vmax roughly 30k miles. a couple years ago I did the cops mod and all has been well. well I have a nerve issue that will cause loss of strength on my leg ( totally random when it does it) anyway it happened the other day when backing the bike out of a friends driveway and I dropped the bike on its right side, it ran at idle for about 10 seconds and died. well after I let the fuel evaporate enough that would start up I rode it home and all seemed well for that 3 mile trip. I ride it every day and have so for a several years now. well at low throttle it sounds like it has a miss sometimes. mostly noticeable ( when its doing it) is taking off from a dead stop then itll clear up even as low as 2000ish rpms. BUT if im cruising the speed limit at say 35 mph I get random misfires but USUALLY if I twist the throttle it clears up quick and pulls like it should. since this happened after I dropped it im assuming its not junk in the carbs causing this and something to do with dropping it. any ideas what I can look at to fix this?

I had gas spilling out the carbs when I dropped it and I know it flooded and fouled a plug or 2. would letting the bike sit over night unfoul a plug? or am I fighting a plug issue? they look great btw im thinking that the fuel should have evaporated off the plugs over night and they wouldn't be fouled anymore ( its not like it was oil fouled or anything) any help is appreciated. im leaning hard towards ignition issues but I may be barking up the wrong tree. since the vent is on the right side for the battery... could I have lost water out of it and that causing this issue? I know when I had a battery with a dead cell in it it would misfire once in a while at the same rpms. put a new battery in it and it never did it again... until I dropped it that is heh. I rode it to work today and did a quick look at the batter through the slot designed to check water level and I didn't see a level so it got me to thinking I may have lost water out of the battery. ( which I will check the level when I get home today) im just looking for some ideas on what my issue might be

I dropped mine a while back, experienced a similar problem. I thought maybe I had fuel in the air filter, so I removed it to clean it.....it was dry. What I then found was that the air box had pulled out of the carb boots. The jolt must have been enough to make the box pull out and was probably not down into the carb boots as well as it should be to begin with. Anyway, loosened the clamps, pushed the air box way down into the boots, tightened everything up.....problem went away. Just an idea for you.

ill jump right on that when I get home from work today. hadn't even thought about that being a possibility. thank you.

keep the ideas coming folks with my track record nothing ever is an easy fix haha

You may have spilled enough battery acid into it's overflow tube to cause the battery to begin failing. Pull the seat and refill it's fluid level in all cells. If the acid has spilled out, I'd go back with new acid. If it's low from normal dehydration, I'd use distilled water to refill. Put a fresh charge on it. Check your charging system to ensure it is still performing at peak, because this sounds all too familiar and I put my money on the CDI box being starved for voltage at low RPM's. A good battery with ample reserve will maintain better voltage if/when your charging system is NOT at peak performance during idle speeds.

id re check the carb sync....think its out from sounds of it. also could have pushed some junk from tank into carbs. chg fuel filter if old run a little seafoam in the tank and see if that helps.

Well, battery was a cup low on water. Stuck trickle charger on it and if battery is charged it shuts off after 10 minutes. 20 minutes later still charging.... Hopefully I found the culprit

+1 on the sync....the impact can knock it way out of whack. :punk:

How would it do that? :ummm:

Worst case scenerio would be an impact hard enough to affect the floats, thereby affecting A/F mixtures. Sync screws sure aren't going to turn themselves, and I can't see the throttle plate assemblies changing due to an impact.:confused2:

I guess if the carbs were gunked up enough prior, and then synced with a lot of gunk present.......then the impact knocked a chitt ton of gunk loose...:ummm:

you need to borrow r buy a sync tool that does four carbs....make sure vboost is closed . well worth the money to buy one. bike runs like crap when out of tune and yes can go out by falling over. guys use carb tune or motion pro....

I have a sync tool and will only take a few minutes to check it so I will. however I checked the charger this morning and it was still charging...should have shut off long ago. even though it starts with no issues im thinking the culprit is the battery.

unfortunately the battery was only a few months old too and of course cant find the receipt

I would certainly recommend the Odyssey battery. When I bought my Max in 2007 it came with one. Have no idea how long it was in the bike before I bought it but it is still working fine after my six years of ownership.

I think I may have been the first person to install a lithium-ion battery into my Gen 1, at-least I was the first to post on-here about it. I got a Ballistic 12-cell, which worked very well for awhile, and then I had a battery terminal snap. No it wasn't from me over-tightening it, but it happened. I was fortunate-enough to get the distributor to agree to warranty it, which I was informed by the shop from whom I bought it, "they don't usually do that." (they do not warranty something they attribute to owner misuse) Seeing as it was < 6 months old, and I paid about $160 for it, I had a reasonable expectation it would last longer than that. Much-longer.

Here's the thread: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28414&highlight=ballistic+battery+failure

I still like the battery, and I am not sure why it happened, but the other Ballistic I had in my FZR1000 I switched into my VMax and it has worked faultlessly. I got a rebate/credit on my Ballistic purchase price and bought a Shorai lithium-ion for the FZR1000.

The SE USA Odyssey batteries distributor is about 4 miles from my home, I went to there to see about buying from them, and they referred me to a Yamaha dealer who carries their products. That location wanted to charge me more-than I was going to pay for another Li-ion battery, so I went with-another Li-ion battery!

I know plenty of guys on-here like the Odyssey PC680, and some get a Panasonic and talk about how much less $$ it is, but going Li-ion loses 7 lbs very easily! Also, if you get the Li-ion battery, switch to COPs, add a 4/1, & lose the centerstand, go to a Stage 7 or Morley's Muscle intake mods by losing the airbox & etc., and you probably shed close-to 50 lbs.

Latest posts

Back