My first vmax... is this normal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose66

Reaction score
I've had crotch rockets and cruisers but this is the first bike that doesn't make me feel confident in the corners. Is this common with the vmax? Is it just a matter of getting use to it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It can feel like a bit of a ride on a wooden roller coaster. However there is checks you can do or mods that will make it handle better. If it is stock then proper air pressure in the tires is very important. Also search the forum on check the tightness of your steering head bearings. Too loose or too tight will affect handling. Also check for proper air pressure in the front forks. Start with that and then we can move on to after market springs, USD front end, new rims with radial tires etc! LOL.:biglaugh:

I've had crotch rockets and cruisers but this is the first bike that doesn't make me feel confident in the corners. Is this common with the vmax? Is it just a matter of getting use to it?

Well, you are riding on 30 year old suspension/frame/tire design and technology.

That being said there are some proven fixes that are fairly easy to do, and not too expensive if you like the bike otherwise.

Spring and shock upgrades, and solid motor mounts are a great start that won't break the bank. Radial tires are an awesome upgrade but requires replacing at least the rear wheel which can be expensive.

Start with springs and shocks and I think you'll feel the investment was well worth it.

It can feel like a bit of a ride on a wooden roller coaster. However there is checks you can do or mods that will make it handle better. If it is stock then proper air pressure in the tires is very important. Also search the forum on check the tightness of your steering head bearings. Too loose or too tight will affect handling. Also check for proper air pressure in the front forks. Start with that and then we can move on to after market springs, USD front end, new rims with radial tires etc! LOL.:biglaugh:
I did check the air pressure in the front forks and it had 0 psi in both sides. I got them at 12 psi now and that helped quite a bit.

Also what tires are you running? The stock dunlops, etc.....are more square, and dont inspire confidence in the corners.

The Max will never handle as well as a sports bike but with some considered investment can, in most cases, handle better than the riders ability.

Have a read through this which details most of the mods you can do.

I've had about 45 Motorcycles in my 50+ years of riding. Stock setup on the Vmax isn't the best.
All the bikes I currently have suspension mods. The Vmaxes now feel confident in corners.

Leaving CaptainKyles house here in Florida with a friend Earl I actually drifted a long sweeping left at about 80 MPH. Earl still brings it up from time to time at how smoothly it occurred. But even though I was having a blast, Earl thought he was going to witness a disaster. It's all in the Mods that you are willing to do. Vmax is a fantastic bike after a little work.

No complaints here, for a heavy bike she impresses me on the transformation. Like Steve mentioned, a Vmax can be made to handle beyond most riders ability. Getting them lighter and lower helps much, along with all the available mods. that can be done. Mounts wear and solid mount upgrades make a huge difference over worn rubber mounts. Start with head bearings and swing-arm bearing inspection & adjustment. The stock suspension is somewhat tuneable too.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I'll start with fork springs, head bearings and rear shocks and then move on to solid motor mounts.
I'm not expecting the max to handle the twisties like a crotch rocket, but it shouldn't make me feel uncomfortable either

I've always thought of the Vmax as the big block Chevelle of motorcycles...it's not a corner-carving, handling machine...but more or less a muscle bike built for the straight line....

Back