Need help with Cops--

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Morley Here is his email [email protected]

Those were modified by a previous owner.....and there is no telling wheat was done.

I'm sorry but if you were to look at the photos i posted you could clearly see that the person who built these added the extra wire and shrink wrapped them. All original work.There is one harness with an extra added wire and the other three on an ohmmeter register way too high as well as the one with the extra wire. The resistance is too high for a oem coil and i think that is the reason it runs the way it does.The COPS say Spilker on them also but do not work as they should.:ummm:

I'm sorry but if you were to look at the photos i posted you could clearly see that the person who built these added the extra wire and shrink wrapped them. All original work.There is one harness with an extra added wire and the other three on an ohmmeter register way too high as well as the one with the extra wire. The resistance is too high for a oem coil and i think that is the reason it runs the way it does.The COPS say Spilker on them also but do not work as they should.:ummm:

I'm just saying, I have both (resistored and unresistored) Cops made by spilker and everything is in spec. Its very obvious those have been modified, so you dont know what else has been done to them. I know that there have been issues with people breaking the resistors dues to putting a seat on them, or mashing them somehow.

So, there are also threads on here about how to make your own, as several members on here have done.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5427

Also, unless your running a dyna 3000 ignition, resistors arent needed. Some people put them on....just because, but for the most part, arent needed.

I'm just saying, I have both (resistored and unresistored) Cops made by spilker and everything is in spec. Its very obvious those have been modified, so you dont know what else has been done to them. I know that there have been issues with people breaking the resistors dues to putting a seat on them, or mashing them somehow.

So, there are also threads on here about how to make your own, as several members on here have done.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5427

Also, unless your running a dyna 3000 ignition, resistors arent needed. Some people put them on....just because, but for the most part, arent needed.

Dont some of the early OEM boxes need them?

I agree with whoever said the extra wire is for a shift light, they could have been ordered like that. With the OEM coil value being ~3 ohms and the COPs being 1.2 ohms (Same as mine, I just made COPs for my Venture) the resistors should be ~1.8 ohms without COPs plugged in.

I picked up some 25w wirewound resistors after doing a bit of research on what kind of resistors could handle and dissipate the heat. They are bulky though. If your resistors are adding enough to your 1.2 ohm coils to get ~5 ohms total resistance rather than ~3 ohms then I would bet this is your issue.

As long as you can verify correct polarity and lack of shorts with your ohmmeter that extra wire should do nothing as long as it's capped off. I favor the quick and easy downpipe spit sizzle test for a quick verification that all cylinders are firing. If one cyl is running cooler you can switch the coils around to troubleshoot and isolate the problem to a bad coil or COP harness issue. The COP set I bought was crimped together and problematic so I went through this more than once. I made a set soldered and heat shrunk and never a problem since. I hope you get it sorted quickly.

I agree with whoever said the extra wire is for a shift light, they could have been ordered like that.

No, there are several members who run unreistored cops on the early box's for the last couple of years, with no issues.

In Gannons sets, there is a "T" that you can place either inbetween the Cops wires....and the cop, or between the wires, and the wires that that plug in under the seat (the orange and white wires, well I think those are the colors). That "T" comes with all of his kits....so I cant see him doing a one off set, to add in an extra wire for a tach, or shift light...etc.

I still think they were hacked by a previous owner.....for some odd reason.

I agree with whoever said the extra wire is for a shift light, they could have been ordered like that. With the OEM coil value being ~3 ohms and the COPs being 1.2 ohms (Same as mine, I just made COPs for my Venture) the resistors should be ~1.8 ohms without COPs plugged in.

I picked up some 25w wirewound resistors after doing a bit of research on what kind of resistors could handle and dissipate the heat. They are bulky though. If your resistors are adding enough to your 1.2 ohm coils to get ~5 ohms total resistance rather than ~3 ohms then I would bet this is your issue.

As long as you can verify correct polarity and lack of shorts with your ohmmeter that extra wire should do nothing as long as it's capped off. I favor the quick and easy downpipe spit sizzle test for a quick verification that all cylinders are firing. If one cyl is running cooler you can switch the coils around to troubleshoot and isolate the problem to a bad coil or COP harness issue. The COP set I bought was crimped together and problematic so I went through this more than once. I made a set soldered and heat shrunk and never a problem since. I hope you get it sorted quickly.
I appreciate that advice Casey and i have swapped the coil wires 4 times with the same effect-wire is capped off.:bang head:
I also agree that the 5 ohms of resistance is too high and harnessing fire.
I check the resistance of each harness and all are at 5 ohms. :confused2:
I have also read that resistors are not needed for all the models with stock ignitions.

No, there are several members who run unreistored cops on the early box's for the last couple of years, with no issues.

In Gannons sets, there is a "T" that you can place either inbetween the Cops wires....and the cop, or between the wires, and the wires that that plug in under the seat (the orange and white wires, well I think those are the colors). That "T" comes with all of his kits....so I cant see him doing a one off set, to add in an extra wire for a tach, or shift light...etc.

I still think they were hacked by a previous owner.....for some odd reason.

The way they are built i would not say they were hacked-if you look at the photo i posted you can see the wire comes from the side with black shrink wrap-the same as the other three.
There is a main power wire that is red w/white stripe and the orange wire is the signal side-usually used for t-boost.
I will either have to build my own set that will match the needed ohms or find someone that does.:confused2:

Since I think you got these second-hand, they are 5 ohm correct? They are for another app besides a 3 ohm load VMax.

Since I think you got these second-hand, they are 5 ohm correct? They are for another app besides a 3 ohm load VMax.

They came off of a Vmax and were advertised for it-Even had a video of them on the bike-Pinwall.:confused2:
Anyone know is this gannon built spilkers for other bikes-these have the same resistors as the ones i have seen on here on other vmaxs'.:confused2:

How about bypassing the resistors and trying without them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what i have read with a dynatek 3000 that would fry the ignition box---:ummm:

I have had a few referrals and i think i will give them a try.
Thanks for your suggestion.

From what i have read with a dynatek 3000 that would fry the ignition box---:ummm:

I have had a few referrals and i think i will give them a try.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sorry

Missed the part about the Dynatek box.

So i have found someone else who does make COPS with resistors and i'm going to give them a try-:clapping:
Should be here in a few days.:eusa_dance:

Just want to let members here know that the solution to this problem has been fixed and with great appreciation i would like to thank Jon Harris.
My Vmax has never run this good since the day i bought it.
After finding the initial cops harnesses i purchased from pinwall on ebay had too high a resistance Jon built me a set and holy crap this thing runs.
I cannot say thank you enough as i went through weeks trying to figure this thing out.:clapping:
I would also like to thank all the others who responded on this site and on this thread.:clapping:
I know Jon sells these on Facebook so anyone in need can find his help on there.:clapping:

I was pretty impressed when I installed my COPs, no more power specifically but it really improved idle and tune-ability. Thanks for updating and glad it's golden now!

I was pretty impressed when I installed my COPs, no more power specifically but it really improved idle and tune-ability. Thanks for updating and glad it's golden now!

Thank you caseyjones- i can really tell the difference of how easy it starts now and how instant the throttle response is.:clapping:

I was intending to start a thread about using a Dyna 3000 with COPs, but this thread has a lot of related info.

The question above... I'm using a Dyna 3000 with unresistored COPs. I didn't know there was a compatibility issue and rode the bike for 6 hours on Saturday. I have since seen all the info about frying the Dyna if you don't use resistors.

So I ordered some 1 Ohm, 25W resistors from Ebay and because I have towing on my insurance, I plan to continue to ride without resistors until my resistors arrive. I figured after about 6 hours of highway riding, my Dyna should have cooked by now.

My COPs are from a 2003 Yamaha R6. They Ohm out at 1.8

It would be interesting to see the failure rate for unresistored COPS being used with Dyna ignitions. From what I have read, I think I'd take the car for the few days it will take to get the resistors. Replacing a Dyna has to be $300 or so? Then add the hassle of getting the bike hauled home, and digging into the bike to replace it.

That being said, the common knowledge back when I did my upgrade to my '85 was that it needed resistors. I didn't know that, and built my set without them. It's been years, and thousands of miles since I installed them, with nothing failing or misbehaving.

I'd still wait for the resistors.

Latest posts

Back