Need help with Cops--

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the resistors and installed them today. They are 1 Ohm, 25W resistors. They each ohmed at 1.5 with my meter - not sure why. The bike started and ran good idling in the garage. I remember someone saying they get hot. YES. THEY GET SMOKING HOT!!! Can barely touch them. I soldered them in series with the + wire from my ignition box. So now I need to figure out how to insulate the ends. I wrapped the blades with electrical tape and secured the tape with zip ties, but as hot as they get, I believe the tape and ties will melt off and cause a short. There is an electrical shop near me that I plan to go to tomorrow to try to find a heat-resistant insulation of some sort. Actually the blades themselves don't get as hot as the resistor body.

Here's what I got:

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 25
I got the resistors and installed them today. They are 1 Ohm, 25W resistors. They each ohmed at 1.5 with my meter - not sure why. The bike started and ran good idling in the garage. I remember someone saying they get hot. YES. THEY GET SMOKING HOT!!! Can barely touch them. I soldered them in series with the + wire from my ignition box. So now I need to figure out how to insulate the ends. I wrapped the blades with electrical tape and secured the tape with zip ties, but as hot as they get, I believe the tape and ties will melt off and cause a short. There is an electrical shop near me that I plan to go to tomorrow to try to find a heat-resistant insulation of some sort. Actually the blades themselves don't get as hot as the resistor body.

Here's what I got:

After reading Donny's post on this thread i am going to facebook to find the right resistors. I don't want my bike melting.
Anyone know why Donny has been banned?

I had done a great deal of reading and searching on the right resistors to use. What I came away with is that many guys that install them dont use the correct ones, usually to small or wrong type.

I'm delving into the conversation of semiconductors, for which I'm scarcely qualified. Wirewound resistors are what I ended up landing on after lots of reading, and nothing smaller than 25w. I have to admit that I decided to go with an Ignitek so by the time the resistors arrived the bike was already together and running with my homemade COPs. Good luck.

http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/13600-13.HTM

Here's what I got:

I took Donny's advice from page #36 and contacted Jon Harris on facebook vmax parts and said to contact him Lotsofkids as i told him the numbers on your resistors and he said they would not work.

Evidently they may, to light a cigarette!

If they run that hot, that should be 'on the face of it' evidence to get something else.

I took Donny's advice from page #36 and contacted Jon Harris on facebook vmax parts and said to contact him Lotsofkids as i told him the numbers on your resistors and he said they would not work.

I took a couple hours today to completely re-do the wiring.
I insulated the blades very well with 180 degree C temp self-vulcanizing tape. Zip-tied the tape so it would stay in place. I also rigged some plastic insulator tubing (like for wire looms) and put that over the blades as well. I just wanted to make VERY SURE those blades wouldn't short to something.

Then I placed each of the resistors in a place where they are not touching anything. The resistor body is not covered or taped or anything to ensure maximum cooling... as much as possible, anyway. Some resistors are visible and rather ugly, but I'm satisfied at this point. Taking it for a ride now to dinner and see how it goes.

What a pain... for really not much of a gain. Yes, my old coils were cracked like most older ones are, and had to be dealt with. But I really got into a lot more work than I expected.

I took a couple hours today to completely re-do the wiring.
I insulated the blades very well with 180 degree C temp self-vulcanizing tape. Zip-tied the tape so it would stay in place. I also rigged some plastic insulator tubing (like for wire looms) and put that over the blades as well. I just wanted to make VERY SURE those blades wouldn't short to something.

Then I placed each of the resistors in a place where they are not touching anything. The resistor body is not covered or taped or anything to ensure maximum cooling... as much as possible, anyway. Some resistors are visible and rather ugly, but I'm satisfied at this point. Taking it for a ride now to dinner and see how it goes.

What a pain... for really not much of a gain. Yes, my old coils were cracked like most older ones are, and had to be dealt with. But I really got into a lot more work than I expected.

FYI, coils cracking is NOT an issue.....unfortunately unscrupulous sellers well TELL you that it is an issue.....to SELL you COPS. The coils are fuilled with epoxy, so the ONLY thing that cracks is the plastic outer coating. If your really concerned about them, fill the cracks with epoxy. Running coils, you do have to worry about corrosion....IE around wires, about the boots, etc. LOTS of people will say "OH yes my bike runs GREAT now with COPS", and its because they infact got rid of the corrosion (which they couldve cleaned up themselves)

Below is an unscrupulous seller that says that COPS even makes more HP and cures hot starts. Damn, people will say anything to make a buck.

There has been a running joke that COPS will even cure the Vmax headshake....

Attachments

• COPS.jpg
    COPS.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 32
  • COPS cures starting issues.jpg
    COPS cures starting issues.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 31
FYI, coils cracking is NOT an issue.....unfortunately unscrupulous sellers well TELL you that it is an issue.....to SELL you COPS. The coils are fuilled with epoxy, so the ONLY thing that cracks is the plastic outer coating. If your really concerned about them, fill the cracks with epoxy. Running coils, you do have to worry about corrosion....IE around wires, about the boots, etc. LOTS of people will say "OH yes my bike runs GREAT now with COPS", and its because they infact got rid of the corrosion (which they couldve cleaned up themselves)

Below is an unscrupulous seller that says that COPS even makes more HP and cures hot starts. Damn, people will say anything to make a buck.

+! cracks on the thin outer plastic coating mean nothing, and require no attention. They can be epoxied or siliconed if one finds them irritating but it's not necessary.

Ha ha. Nice!

I just ran an uneventful 40 miles tonight around the city. In the first 3 miles or so, I whacked it to WOT, and it crackled and popped a little. I did it again and it repeated. But never again after that. In fact once I hit second hard and the front tire came up. I weigh 235-ish so that's not an easy task. I don't remember my last V-Max in Hungary doing that. And on that I ran the 1/4 mile in 11.52.

It's running strong, but I don't trust it with those resistors. I would feel uncomfortable riding it 3 hours away. When I got home, the resistors were still super hot, but nothing melted and I don't think it was dangerous. But again, the resistors are just dangling out there, not touching anything to stay as cool as possible.

I'm meeting Traumahawk this weekend to trade my Dyna 3000 ignition unit for his 2007 CDI. And I can just remove those resistors and have a reliable bike I don't need to worry about.

This is where i got mine--- Looks like your ad is old-----

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-2007-Y...ash=item2f0b7e4097:g:dwMAAOSwuAVWwqjT&vxp=mtr

How can these not be better than stock coils if they have increased spark energy?
I don't understand what you are saying?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-Coi...ash=item2cbb6c82c0:g:1mIAAOSw8HBZHq1c&vxp=mtr

Nice meeting with Traumahawk today. Traded ignition boxes and had lunch. Talked a lot about V-Maxes, hot-rods and stuff. Good times. Can't wait to get some rides in with my OKC V-Max brothers.

I got the box in and it runs very well. Will get it on the road now.
Glad that's all behind me and I have faith in my ignition again.

How can these not be better than stock coils if they have increased spark energy?
I don't understand what you are saying?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-Coi...ash=item2cbb6c82c0:g:1mIAAOSw8HBZHq1c&vxp=mtr

They probably are better than stock, BUT, they arent what can in your kit from the unscrupulous seller are they? They stock coils are rated at 30K volts (from what ive read), so if those COPS from Dynatek beat the output energy, then yes I would suggest buying them, but used stock COPS.....the highest output that ive found is 26K.....so almost, but not quite.

If you look at the 2nd pic of what I posted apparently it is the same seller as what you used. So Apparently COPS fixes the Vmax hot start issue? Most other people have fixed it with a bigger battery...etc, whereas Yamaha fixed it with a 4 pole starter......so an unscrupulous seller?

Nice meeting with Traumahawk today. Traded ignition boxes and had lunch. Talked a lot about V-Maxes, hot-rods and stuff. Good times. Can't wait to get some rides in with my OKC V-Max brothers.

I got the box in and it runs very well. Will get it on the road now.
Glad that's all behind me and I have faith in my ignition again.

Im glad that everthing worked out well. Yep, it was a great chat, and off of the OKC Vmaxxers need to get together for a ride.

Resistorless COPs + stock ignition box ride report:

Put another 35 miles on it with varied riding styles. Everything is fine, and what I expected. I'm greatly releived to have faith back in my bike. Can't wait for a 3-hour ride to Dallas sometime... just for lunch or something.

I have not been into the carbs yet, meaning no cleaning or synchronizing yet. My synchronizer comes soon.
But it idles smooth and accelerates like a rocket - typical V-Max style.

Thanks again, Traumahawk for helping me work this out.

Your very welcome. Glad that everything is working out.

I do have a carbtune that you can borrow until yours comes in.

They probably are better than stock, BUT, they arent what can in your kit from the unscrupulous seller are they? They stock coils are rated at 30K volts (from what ive read), so if those COPS from Dynatek beat the output energy, then yes I would suggest buying them, but used stock COPS.....the highest output that ive found is 26K.....so almost, but not quite.

If you look at the 2nd pic of what I posted apparently it is the same seller as what you used. So Apparently COPS fixes the Vmax hot start issue? Most other people have fixed it with a bigger battery...etc, whereas Yamaha fixed it with a 4 pole starter......so an unscrupulous seller?

I did look at the 2nd ad you posted but still baffled because what i have read from members of forums saying they do star easier when hot.

I'm also not sure what a can in your kit is?

Latest posts

Back