It's snowing........

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful running only three carbs, in addition to potential carb chain sync issues, you might stretch the power band out too much and snap it.

Yamaha makes lots of excellent snowmobiles also....the top level Apex(or older RX series) are powered by a modified R1 engine and man, they friggen cook. On a good trail when it can actually hook up, I'd have to say the acceleration is at least on par with the Max if not more. Mine top ends at around 115-120 on ideal conditions. It's a R1 mill fitted with an in-case reduction gear, since otherwise the motor would spin too fast to be clutchable, the valves are also tweaked for a stronger midrange and higher torque. 03-05 were quad CV carbed, 06 up have fuel injection, but the carb version runs so perfectly the only time you can tell is when it's hot you have to give it a touch of gas to start. Otherwise the fueling is so perfect you'd never notice.

You can find used RX's for pretty cheap, in the $3k range. Since it says yamaha on the hood, they run forever and motor issues on these sleds are practically nonexistent. The '03s(first year) had a tendency to "use" a lot of oil, often taking a quart or so every couple hundred miles. Later ones escape this. The only chink in the sled's armor is one "W-arm" in the rear suspension that's kind of weak, and prone to fail if you ride the sled really hard. Mine broke, and has since been beefed up with welded reinforcements. Otherwise, I run the piss out of it and it never even hiccups.

Latest posts

Back