Looking to get back in the saddle!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regular Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of y'all know, I sold both my Max and my wife's bike to take care of some bills and a sudden thing that popped up which made me sell off the toys to facilitate dealing with it. Also I am looking to move and wanted to do some home repairs. In the middle of all of this, I can't keep my mind of riding, I've even been riding in my sleep. I have motorcycle dreams every night for crying out loud :biglaugh:

In a strange turn of events, my wife too has been talking about riding and yesterday evening we went to a local joint that sells all makes (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Can-Am, Polaris, Victory, Star and maybe 1-2 others. No HD or Indians. I again looked at the FZ-10, they didn't have the Armor Gray one but had the Matte Black one, cool bike. My wife sat on a nice blue FZ-07 and loved the way it felt so.............I'm back in the game baby!

The goal is to get us both a new bike after the 18's come out and maybe I can get a better deal on the 17's. We shall see.

I know this is a V-Max forum but maybe y'all can still make room for me, at least I'll still be repping Yamaha! This time with the wife too!

Glad your going to be back in the saddle. Feel free to visit if you up north.

As luck would have it, I have a free schedule tomorrow. I just might go talk turkey with the dealer tomorrow. I've never financed a motorcycle so I don't know what to expect. I don't know if they work like a car loan or not. I've read that Yamaha dealers like to put it on a Yamaha credit card but that's not going to work. I hope they offer bank financing with low interest rates so I can make this somewhat affordable. I may or may not put money down. Undecided. The last vehicle I bought was my work truck last summer and I got 0% with no money down. It'd be nice to get a low rate from Yamaha (I doubt they do 0% though). Anybody have any insight on this?

Go to your bank first and get pre approved through them. That way you tell the dealer what you can spend and you don't have' to deal with the dealers trying to swindle as much as they can from you. Unless the Yamaha interest rate and down is what you like, you might look into it. But I've found pre approval from your local credit union can give you a little negotiation leverage, especially if you wait till the end of the month and the dealers really want to make a deal. Don't be affraid to walk out if you don't like the deal, more often than not they will counter for a lower price.
When I bought my old truck, that I have since sold, the dealers bottom price went from 18500 to' 16800, original asking price was 19000. I was walking out over 500 bucks with the intent to either go back later and except the price, or maybe they would cave, and they did.
Dealers always have a bottom line, and it's usually lower than what they say it is.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Go to your bank first and get pre approved through them. That way you tell the dealer what you can spend and you don't have' to deal with the dealers trying to swindle as much as they can from you. Unless the Yamaha interest rate and down is what you like, you might look into it. But I've found pre approval from your local credit union can give you a little negotiation leverage, especially if you wait till the end of the month and the dealers really want to make a deal. Don't be affraid to walk out if you don't like the deal, more often than not they will counter for a lower price.
When I bought my old truck, that I have since sold, the dealers bottom price went from 18500 to' 16800, original asking price was 19000. I was walking out over 500 bucks with the intent to either go back later and except the price, or maybe they would cave, and they did.
Dealers always have a bottom line, and it's usually lower than what they say it is.

I got the negotiating part down, bought many cars but like I said, never a motorcycle. I imagine there is far less meat on the bone. The FZ-10 MSRP is $12,999 but the dealer has them listed on Cycle Trader for $11,699.00. There are the usual fees attached that I want to try to eliminate (dealer set up fee, destination, but tax tag and title are non negotiable obviously).

I was just curious if they offer regular loans or not. I know it sounds stupid but it seems as if it's a niche market that may or may not conform to standard lending practices.

So, I return with answers! Yes, they DO do conventional loans through banks on powersport vehicles. They do offer low financing rates if you use their Yamaha Card (credit card) but it's only good for 6 months then the balance is due in full. Not for me. I ended up getting a decent rate so my payment is not bad at all, so yes, I now own a FZ-10. I haven't taken delivery of it yet, it'll probably be tomorrow before I pick it up. I am back in the saddle again. Now to get the wife an FZ-07 once she decides if she can live the Red or wait until the 18s come out to see if they offer an ABS model in a color other than red, lol.

I am excited but also am already having buyer's remorse. It happens EVERY TIME I buy something, the V-Max was no different. I'll post some pics once I get it home!

I got'er home boys! I now need a name for her. The Max was easy, Maxine. Not sure what to call this Transformer Bug looking Decepticon :biglaugh:

A34iAdu.jpg

Woozy Floozy, cousin of Miraculous Mutha, if you used to read vintage Easyriders.

ClickHandler.ashx

I like the yellow but I bias toward that color. Get over the buyers remorse an just consider it a mental health care expense. I know any time I ride my max (Thor), while I'm riding, all my stress goes away and a grin magically forms on my face. As far as a name, how about 'Storm', grey clouds and yellow lightning. (also think of X-men)

Storm is good! I like that. It beats the hell out of what my wife wanted to call it. Wait for it.........FIONA! Since it's an "F" name, lol. I told her Fiona was Shrek's wife and that FZ is not an ogre, lol.

Maybe I am weird but I always name my vehicles. I had a Mustang called black beauty. My wife's Shadow was Black Betty, lol. My F-150 I had was named King. Most of the names are stupid I suppose but it's something we've always done. My wife used to have a Dodge 600 convertible that was called "The Bitch", hahaha.

My 1985 Vmax has been known as "Godzilla" since 1987. I once owned a 1966 VW Beetle affectionately called "Otis".

I call my vmax and duramax the max bros. The 05 vmax will soon be refered to as Odin when my art work is done on the faux tank.

Thats wicked!! congrats!

Thanks! I like it a lot. It's funky looking but that's what I like about it I suppose. The sales guy kept trying to sell me a Black one because they could get it easier than the Gray one. I wanted what I wanted though, lol. He kept saying "Man, that black one is SHARP!" and "That would be the one I'd get since I am a Bulldog fan and Falcon's Fan, Red & Black Baby!" Shit like that, on and on. I thought it was funny. I told him that my daughter goes to UGA and I am a huge Falcon fan but that didn't have a damn thing to do with the color of motorcycles :biglaugh:

He eventually got the hint and got my gray one sent down from about 50 miles away. They actually took a guy to another location of theirs and let him RIDE the damn thing down. That ticked me off a little I must say. Instead of getting a bike with 1 mile on it, I got it with 55 miles on it. Oh well. One thing I can say is that the guy who rode it down is one of their mechanics and he was in awe of the bike! He himself had just bought a 2012 Triumph Tiger 1050 and he said it's not in the same league as the FZ-10 and he regrets not buying an FZ! He spent 20 minutes going over everything with me while just gushing over it the whole time. So, having his approval was cool, lol. He said he has 6 bikes and his 7th will be the FZ-10.

Working at a dealership would be dangerous for most of us I think :rofl_200:

I took her out for a little stroll today, put about 100 miles on her. I babied her, only popped 2 wheelies! I can tell you that she TRULY is a blood relative of the V-Max. This bike is a hooligan's bike and she can get you in trouble FAST :biglaugh:

If any of you have thought about a Naked bike to go along with the Max, consider this one. It has an upright riding position that you're already used to, it handles excellent, it has SCOOPS! That alone should make you consider it, lol.

It's not as comfortable as my Gen 1 V-Max but hopefully that'll change, I ordered a "Comfort Seat" for it last night as I already knew that the stock one would hurt my ass. I wouldn't say it's sore but it could definitely feel better. My wife won't even consider 2 up with the stock seat.

I can't really comment on the power yet as I am breaking it in still but I can tell that she has it in bunches. Its power band is much different than the max though. That much I can tell. It has 3 riding modes. Standard, A and B. It goes from least power to most. B must stand for Balls to the wall. I've ridden in "A" a little but mostly "STD". I rode today in "STD" with traction control set to 2, just because, lol.

I can tell you that even in the lowest power setting she likes to raise the front when you get up to higher RPMs. I don't know how this would compare to a Gen 2 but I do feel that it would best my Gen 1 without too much fuss. I have to admit, I think the stock exhaust even sounds good! It doesn't have the roar of my Max with the Delkevics but it sounds nice and throaty when you get into it a little bit.

So far though, my favorite things about it are : 1) Fuel Gauge (lol), 2)Display 3)CRUISE FREAKIN' CONTROL

I had no idea how much I'd love having cruise, on the interstate it's awesome!

The one thing (so far) that I am not a fan of, other than the seat, are the mirrors. They are great if you like looking at your elbows. Maybe it's because I am a wide body and it's meant for 140 pound riders or something. I don't know. What I do know is that I have to move my right arm to get a good view behind me, left not so much as the right though.

I'll have more to say as I get to know her a little better. So far, so good. The buyer's remorse is starting to fade :)

Latest posts

Back