A lot of fuel when I pulled the slide

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB99Max

Reaction score
What's up guys? I've been away from the forum for a while. My vmax has been in pieces in my garage for the last six moths since I returned the carbs to Sean that I borrowed to help diagnose my problem. That's a long story..... but anyway my coasting enricheners were pretty rotted out so I replaced them. Finally over the last week I've got the motivation to get this thing going again! I got everything together but the problem is the left rear cylinder has to much fuel, I'll explain. It'll start and idle but it's rough and The slide cover (the outside cover or whatever its called) is cold. As soon as I loosened the Allen screws gas started to run out. Also without the airbox on if you look in the top of that carb (left rear) the top right hole has gas pouring out of it. Am I correct in assuming the the float height is off on that carb? Or did I screw something up or forget something when I put it back together. I hope this all makes sense the way I explained it.
Thanks guys

What's up guys? I've been away from the forum for a while. My vmax has been in pieces in my garage for the last six moths since I returned the carbs to Sean that I borrowed to help diagnose my problem. That's a long story..... but anyway my coasting enricheners were pretty rotted out so I replaced them. Finally over the last week I've got the motivation to get this thing going again! I got everything together but the problem is the left rear cylinder has to much fuel, I'll explain. It'll start and idle but it's rough and The slide cover (the outside cover or whatever its called) is cold. As soon as I loosened the Allen screws gas started to run out. Also without the airbox on if you look in the top of that carb (left rear) the top right hole has gas pouring out of it. Am I correct in assuming the the float height is off on that carb? Or did I screw something up or forget something when I put it back together. I hope this all makes sense the way I explained it.
Thanks guys

It is not float height-it is a stuck float----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLUZjb6Xrw

how do you do the YouTube video on here? Mine has fuel coming out of the top right hole above the PAJ

That's the main air jet. Your float is sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in the video JanBee posted unless I'm missing something, it looks like he just tapped on it with a hammer?

Or will I most likely have to pull the carbs off?

So in the video JanBee posted unless I'm missing something, it looks like he just tapped on it with a hammer?

The floats bows are essentially on the backs of the carbs where he is tapping. Lightly tap the float bowl covers...I use a rubber mallet.

That works quite a bit, otherwise need to see why the floats are hanging up.

Nothing changed!! :bang head::bang head: guess I'll have to pull the F*c*in things

A G A I N

I got it out, what can cause a stuck float??

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 26
A c**t hair more that 1.11"

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 11
Does the float move up-and-down freely and not hang up?

Clean/ inspect float valve and float. Make sure float hinge pin is straight too.

you talking about the top as it sits in he picture right now right

The way it would sit on the bike

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 12
Lift it up and down. It should fall back down when released. Pull float off and then pull out the rubber tip valve and inspect/clean.

Now put it back together. Blow into float vent while covering fuel inlet. Right side up should hear air. Upside down, no vacuum.

There we go

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 21
Back