Runs like crap and dies---1998 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Maximus-98

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Please post up if you have some answers. As I am still on a steep learning curve, I am wanting to know what could have happened internally to the fuel delivery system. Happens that the bike was leaned pretty far down on the right side. After this, it ran ok for a few miles then the engine started to cut off as if out of fuel plus it ran like crap. What I can figure is that there was sone sediment in the fuel tank which got loose and found its way into the fuel lines/fuel filter creating a clog. I am replacing the fuel filter ASAP!

My questions are...
1. Does the fuel filter catches debris before the pump?
2. Can I clean fuel tank without need to remove it by using the fuel supply line?
3. Which fuel additive should I run to clean anything that might be stuck before fuel filter?

Filter is before the pump. Just pick up your seat and look at it to see if it's full of junk.

Really cleaning the tank requires removal. There's a drain plug on the bottom. Cycling the fuel pump will also let you pump it pretty low, but I would just use a siphon to pump it out.

You might also just have a pinched vent line. Take the gas cap off. If you get a sucking sound, the tank isn't able to vent. Your tipover valve is in the small vent line on top of the tank. Follow that to see if it's fouled.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Hey guys,
Please post up if you have some answers. As I am still on a steep learning curve, I am wanting to know what could have happened internally to the fuel delivery system. Happens that the bike was leaned pretty far down on the right side. After this, it ran ok for a few miles then the engine started to cut off as if out of fuel plus it ran like crap. What I can figure is that there was sone sediment in the fuel tank which got loose and found its way into the fuel lines/fuel filter creating a clog. I am replacing the fuel filter ASAP!

My questions are...
2. Can I clean fuel tank without need to remove it by using the fuel supply line?
3. Which fuel additive should I run to clean anything that might be stuck before fuel filter?

Try replacing the oem filter and running another between the fuel pump and the carbs-----for a quick carb clean see below----:clapping:

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

1. The filter won't catch everything. Very fine rust passes through frequently.

2. You can drain the fuel from the plug at the bottom. If your tank is rusty, you need to remove it to clean properly.

3. Dealers choice. Many folks around here like BG products.

If you have rust in your fuel system you better plan to remove the carbs and fully clean, remove tank and fully clean then line it, replace filter and probably fuel lines too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

My questions are...

1.Yes---:clapping:
2.You can clean the tank without removal--not so sure about using the fuel supply line.:confused2:
3. Seafoam ----:clapping:

Thanks guys!!!

Syphoned out the old gas, replaced fuel filter, some fresh fuel and the thing came back to life.

Latest posts

Back