Oil and V Boost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Max!

Reaction score
I am going to give my new (used) 05 Max the first oil change since my ownership. The previous owner used 20-50 Royal Purple. Would you keep that same weight. Seems a little heavy to me.

Also I took it out for a first ride this weekend and I'm not feeling the V Boost these bikes are known for. I have ridden a variety of bikes, but this is my first Vmax. After all the talk of the V Boost I was prepared to be amazed but it never happened. :ummm: I am taking it in soon to have the carbs checked and cleaned but is there anything else I should check? I bought this bike from a guy who let it set for a year and a half so I knew there would be some work but I got a great price, so now the fun begins. I appreciate your help in advance.

Recommended oil:
At 5?C (40?F)or higher SAE 20W40 type SE motor oil
At 15?C (60?F) or lower SAE 10W30type SE motor oil
4.7 L (4.1 Imp qt, 5.0 US qt) with filter change
NOTE:
Recommended oil classification: API Service "SE", "SF" and "SG" type or equivaIe n t (e.g. "SF-SE" , "SF-SE-CC" , "SF-SESD" etc.).
---------------------
this from the max manual so use what you like
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1198 is a thread on oil and everyone's input
This thread is about the Vboost http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=20955&highlight=vboost

I am going to give my new (used) 05 Max the first oil change since my ownership. The previous owner used 20-50 Royal Purple. Would you keep that same weight. Seems a little heavy to me.

Also I took it out for a first ride this weekend and I'm not feeling the V Boost these bikes are known for. I have ridden a variety of bikes, but this is my first Vmax. After all the talk of the V Boost I was prepared to be amazed but it never happened. :ummm: I am taking it in soon to have the carbs checked and cleaned but is there anything else I should check? I bought this bike from a guy who let it set for a year and a half so I knew there would be some work but I got a great price, so now the fun begins. I appreciate your help in advance.
Have the carbs checked and cleaned? Is it running bad? There is a lot of good info on here on the'' shotgun'' cleaning, it is pretty easy to do and works wonders and would save you a lot of cash. Also I have a Morgan Carb Tune Pro for carb syncing, this works wonders as well. http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm Check out this link.

Ok. Thanks. I have always used Rotella T but I know some bikes run better on certain weights and oils. The v Boost is the real puzzler. I do hear it cycle but maybe I was expecting more boost than what there was.

many things will make the vboost seem to not be working, if your not running 100% from all the carbs, that will make the vboost to seem not to be working. And good cleaning and re syncing should be the first stop being that max sat so long.

That oil is prolly fine in warm weather. The important thing is to warm the bike up before riding it. I usually wait till my oil pressure drops at idle to about 15 psi before taking off. I like 15w-40 myself. Royal Purple is great oil if you don't mind the cost. There is no shortage of post on this here.
Vboost can be adjusted to make sure it fully opens.Your best bet is to hook up with another Max owner in your area. I recommend Ryans write up-RA Warrior to answer a lot of questions you'll have.

I've also always used Shell Rotella-T 15W50 - was absolutely fine.

+1 on what others have said, you should sync your carbs to make sure everything runs as it should. Takes 5mns and makes a world of difference.

Don't bother taking it to the stealers to have anything done - three reasons:
1- no matter what they tell you, they won't have a clue how to work on a Max
2- they will rip you off, guaranteed!
3- you can do 99% of the work yourself, with the info and help you can get from here, for free!

As far as the vboost is concerned, you can check it's working properly with the bike on the center stand. Remove the left hand chrome carb cover, get a flashlight. Warm the motor up, then slowly rev it to near 6000rpm, and look at the butterfly valves in the middle just below the carbs with your flashlight, from 5750rpm you should see the cable pulling the valves open - by 8000rpm they should be fully open.

And as for 'feeling it', bear in mind that it's not like a turbo or NOS, it simply adds a bit of power in the upper rpms. Basically you get this nice rush above 6k where otherwise it would be a bit flat. Best way to compare is to turn it off - either you can unplug it or you can get a boost switch (such as Tboost) which will allow you to have it come on at 3k rpm, 6k rpm or off.

I had no plans on taking to a "stealer". I did call just for a chuckle and they only wanted $400 to clean and sync carbs. Sounds like a good deal....... A friend of mine is a Yamaha mechanic and hes going to show me how to do all of this.

I had no plans on taking to a "stealer". I did call just for a chuckle and they only wanted $400 to clean and sync carbs. Sounds like a good deal....... A friend of mine is a Yamaha mechanic and hes going to show me how to do all of this.

Brilliant! :clapping: The sync is a 5mn job, all you need is a sync tool (4-way vacuum gauge) which costs about $100 or you can make your own for about $15.

Taking the carbs off is also easy - 20mns at most - taking them apart properly to clean them thoroughly is a little more involved.

Check the Carb/Tuning forum here for full info.

only 400 that's cheaper than my stealer and they really did not want get into the bike either - "oh we are so covered up." I call back the next day and ask to have my '11 max looked at and how long would it take. "we can get right on it, a day at most" then I asked if they where so covered up just yesterday and would not give the same turn around time on my '98 - I got the 'but but's' from them, I told them 'I would not piss on them to put them out if they where on fire', then hung up. And I do not own a '11 max, I just wanted to see what they say.

That's the main prob with 99% of stealers - no idea how to work on older bikes - only the stuff they've sold (and have trained mechanics for) in the last year or two..

$400 really isn't that bad if you consider it all. there are other options with people who are very intimate with the carbs here but if you wanted to get it done local/see it done thats really not that bad. its quite a few hours of work.

I think I'd be rather worried about being charged that money and nothing being done, or not properly as we've seen happen so many times in so many places!

Right, well it was $400 for a sync and cleaning but since it sat for a while they said there was likely going to be more wrong with it, of course. Im sure they would sync them and then spray some cleaner in them and call it good. I'm a hands on guy so I would like to learn how to and then I can do it whenever I want.

Right, well it was $400 for a sync and cleaning but since it sat for a while they said there was likely going to be more wrong with it, of course. Im sure they would sync them and then spray some cleaner in them and call it good. I'm a hands on guy so I would like to learn how to and then I can do it whenever I want.

Just as I did :) Check it out if you want to get yer hands dirty:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5830

another thought. they guys who installed my jet kit included a carb cleaning in the price along with a float bowl adjustment. maybe look that way too?

I use Rotella-T in all my bikes, with no probs.
First ride on the Max the boost was exhilerating..............I hardly ever feel it now...unless I creep the tach slowly to 6k to feel it kick in.
I think once you get rid of the stock exhaust, the boost gets pretty sedate.

The best way to know if your bike is running good is put it up against another max. LOL. When you take your max for a ride and it gets to 6000rpms and above you should notice a big change in your pulling power in each gear. Below 6000rpms on a stock bike is like riding a stock v-twin. If you have been around peppy bike's and quad's atv's car's alot than you wont have the wow factor. I can remember the first time i took a 250r three wheeler for a ride. It was so fast and powerfull. But after being around 250r's and kfx700 raptor's yz490 and alot of other's the power dont scare me as much. Now with that in mind take your max from a dead dig at a 5000 to 6000 rpm launch and bang through the gears staying above the 6000 rpm range and all the way to 9000 rpm for about a 1/4 mile and see what you think of your max. I liked my max alot more after i did this. And now i have a stage 7 and a pipe. The only other thing you can do to scare yourself is spend more money. The max is vary fast out of the hole and through the 1/4 mile. If you want topend speed and power your on the wrong bike. As for engine oil i use yamalube 20w50 non-synthetic. And a chrome K&N oil filter. 20w40 is not offered anymore. synthetic will work but the clutch like's non-synthetic for hard riding. synthetic is vary slippery. My max has always had yamalube and at 11000 mile no engine noise and no blow-by coming out of the pcv. Just so you know dont run your max cold always start it and let it warm up to operating temp. The oil need's to warm up or it will be to thick and can cause internal oil seal to blow out.

i use rotella-t in all my bikes, with no probs.
First ride on the max the boost was exhilerating..............i hardly ever feel it now...unless i creep the tach slowly to 6k to feel it kick in.
I think once you get rid of the stock exhaust, the boost gets pretty sedate.
+ 1

Thanks for all your suggestions. When I took it out the other day I was only going to three gears. I was going above 6,000rpm but not for long. From what I have read its more noticeable in the higher gears. I will have to enojy third through fourth this weekend for sure. ;-) I have been riding a few "powerful" bikes in the past so I may not have that Awe factor some people do. I have always used Rotella T in my previous bikes and I liked it so I will go with either that or Yamalube.

Latest posts

Back