melted headlight fuse

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkyle187

Reaction score
Anyone know the fix here....headlight fuse doesn't blow...it just melts the fuse casing...

Attachments

• 17496186_10155948881664606_981527675_n.jpg
    17496186_10155948881664606_981527675_n.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 21
If the fuses are that bad, the wires going into the fuse box may be melted too.

First make sure that you are using the correct fuse in that slot. The headlight fuse should be 15 amps.

Then make sure that the wires going to the fuse box are in good condition and that the connector on the end makes solid contact with the fuse. High resistance at this point can generate enough heat to melt the fuse.

Even if you've added accessories or a bigger headlight bulb, the fuse shouldn't melt if run right up to its rating.

There is resistance in the connection that is generating heat. If the fuse got that hot, it's likely that the connecting terminal(s) has lost its tight grip on the fuse lugs.

Which is what happened to my '85 at Thunder a few years ago. The main fuse melted in the holder due to a loose fit. I went off to Auto Zone, and bought a replacement. Cut out the old one, and used 2 PosiLocks to attach the new one. When I got the bike home, I put in one of those really good Delco connectors from Eastern Beaver, and have had no problems since. Resistance kills those connectors. How many of us have smoked the 3 wire one coming out of the stator? I'd suggest everyone who rides a Max get a collection of PosiLocks. Not many soldering guns out on the side of the road when you fry a connector.

Cheap Chinese fuses have thinner metal in them. They don't get gripped by the connector well. Tiny arcs eventually cause resistance, there ya go.. You should have to give a fuse a bit of a push with your thumb to get it in the holder. If it just slips in, it's too loose.

ok..followed the wiring diagram to the starter button and hi/lo switch....cleaned both and all is good now...

I agree. This is a heat issue....not amperage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back